PDA

View Full Version : torque link

money17
10-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Anybody use a modified style torque link? If so is it two way? And would the spring be progressive?

zeroracing
10-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I am assuming you mean a two direction pull bar. Rayburn swing arm cars often run a pull bar, not many full four bar cars have been able to run them. Typically they react extremely violent. I think they are popular with mods which have a tiny hard tire, which you may need to be more aggressive with to get traction out of. Late models have softer (typically compound but also sidewall stiffness) bigger tires that give much more instant traction. I feel this is much of the reason in the early 2000's many modifieds were getting extremely short bars on the lr four links, they would go but hard to drive, it would have been almost impossible on a late model. The difference in tires allows more aggressive ideas to be manageable in a modified.

If I were to try it I would not go crazy on angle and only use it on small stop and go tracks, I think it would pogo stick the car badly and be very hard to drive. I would just try working with my 5th arm set up and link bars to get more traction if that's what your after, much more friendly on late model tires.