PDA

View Full Version : quick change gear question

powerslide
10-03-2011, 11:12 PM
i have a couple gears i got in a buy out. i cant find them listed or they dont match the number of teeth listed on the website. Both are quarter master.

One "set" has 9q on both large and small gears. Then the large one has 24 and the small one has 20. from what i am counting the large is 24teeth and small is 20. Quarter master and winters list 9q as a 5.83 but teeth are all wrong... Help

The other set has 22 on the large and 19 on small. numbers listed on large are 17-22 and the small is 17-19

Will they mesh if i run the number to calculate what i have or do i need to trash them and replace? per my numbers 24-20 is a 5.83 and the 22-19 is a 5.63.

any help is greatly appreciated.

C10
10-04-2011, 12:19 AM
doing the math the first set is a 5.83. The second is a 5.63. The 17-22 and 17-19 is the chart gear number followed by the number of teeth on the gear and it is correct.
But your post is a bit confusing as well. I am failing to understand what your looking for here. Best thing to do is mark a tooth count them and use this formula........... Largest gear divided by the smallest gear then times that number by 4.86 or 4.11 depending on your internal ring and pinion.
Do the gears mesh correctly? If they do, then it should be just fine. Just do your math and see what you have for sure. I NEVER trust the stampings on any gear set, always count the teeth then put them on your board and label them.

powerslide
10-04-2011, 08:59 AM
i guess what i am trying to get at is that when you do the math they come out to the 5.83 and the 5.63 but the amount of teeth on each one is different than what the winters or q/m gear chart says.

But you somewhat answered my question. The first number is the gear set and the 2nd number is the teeth

Matt49
10-04-2011, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=powerslide;1448089]i guess what i am trying to get at is that when you do the math they come out to the 5.83 and the 5.63 but the amount of teeth on each one is different than what the winters or q/m gear chart says.

It's just a ratio.
30/25=1.2
24/20=1.2
It's possible you have an off brand that tried something different with tooth pitch to arrive at the same ration and they just marked it as a 9Q which is QuarterMaster's version of Winters 9A. As long as the teeth mesh and the set fits properly in the rear end, you should be just fine.

C10
10-04-2011, 12:22 PM
I have some gear sets like this too. The one set you have comes out to a 5.627 by the numbers so its just a strange set. like the last person said, if they fit well and mesh right your good to go

powerslide
10-04-2011, 01:21 PM
I have some gear sets like this too. The one set you have comes out to a 5.627 by the numbers so its just a strange set. like the last person said, if they fit well and mesh right your good to go

ok guys i appreciate it. They are both Quarter master sets i will give them a try. They might just be older than me :o