PDA

View Full Version : Rayburn Question

ckyracer00
10-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Which Rayburn is best under or overrail and why? Thanks in advance

SS Motorsports
10-05-2011, 12:20 AM
I would say none of them right now, A lot of people have been staying away from the Rayburn cars because you can't get any tech help. This is just my opinion but there are too many good chassis builders having success, Rayburn cars have been less than competitve for a while now. Pierce, Mastersbilt, Rocket, GRT, TNT, Barry Wright and Victory Circle have all had there share of success this year and have been for the last few years. Again just my opinion, in a Rayburn you are putting yourself behind from jumpstreet.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-05-2011, 07:31 AM
If you are capable of figuring things out yourself and are not running the WoO or Lucas, I say give it a shot.

powerslide
10-05-2011, 12:16 PM
If you are capable of figuring things out yourself and are not running the WoO or Lucas, I say give it a shot.

agreed. you can really get these things for next to nothing now compared to other brands and if you have some know how can change some things and get them going. Still guys winning at the local level w/ them

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-05-2011, 01:58 PM
agreed. you can really get these things for next to nothing now compared to other brands and if you have some know how can change some things and get them going. Still guys winning at the local level w/ them

That is exactly what I was thinking...

4bangerhotrod
10-06-2011, 10:36 AM
if i was going to run one i think i would have a underrail. we've run both an always had more success in a underrail car, i think this is for the simple fact that the cars are stiffer.

dualdj1
10-06-2011, 02:08 PM
The underrails seem to do a little better overall finish wise. We ran an underrail first year, and did ok with it. Have run overrails the last 3 years and done ok too. I don't know that there's any real significant difference, other than overrails are easier to change out the rear end.

charlie11515
10-06-2011, 02:10 PM
had 2 grts and a rayburn,,, cun the rayburn up then put it in the crusher,,, only thing those are good for ia a batering ram

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-06-2011, 03:09 PM
had 2 grts and a rayburn,,, cun the rayburn up then put it in the crusher,,, only thing those are good for ia a batering ram

Imagine what you will think once you own a real race car. LOL :cool:

racin6mod
10-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I read an artical in the old dirtlatemodel that scott bloomquist and jim curry did and they laid out how mastersbuilt got jim to help them jig up his rayburn so they could copy it and then they screwed jim out of his 3rd of the bussiness. Bprc also jigged up his rayburn as did scott they both put that on the record in circle track. cj is in the cycle that ever chassis builder goes threw he'll get a new design going and they'll all copy it again it's been that way for many years now.

fox1162002
10-07-2011, 03:30 AM
We are in the process of changing a Rayburn to a blue front Rocket. It don't take much we jigged a Rocket up and are welding in the 4 link brackets. As far as the front end the cross member is the same as the Rocket. That's just and idea for some of you guys with rayburns.

charlie11515
10-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Imagine what you will think once you own a real race car. LOL :cool:

lmao,,, won 21 out of 25,, nights with a grt last year,,, wow if only i had a real car!!!

fox1162002
10-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Also guys the rear ends are the same widths as a rocket and it doesn't take much to convert them. The biggest thing is getting a car to jig off of.

fastford
10-07-2011, 04:06 PM
lmao,,, won 21 out of 25,, nights with a grt last year,,, wow if only i had a real car!!!

hey charlie, where do you race? im trying to find somewhere to go where there is no competition

racin6mod
10-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Also guys the rear ends are the same widths as a rocket and it doesn't take much to convert them. The biggest thing is getting a car to jig off of.

they should seeing's how cj has not changed his stuff in years and most have copied his frontend.

fox1162002
10-07-2011, 05:36 PM
The roll center is a lil different but that was no big deal to fix. As far as parts we got a set of birdcages, lowers, spindles, 4 link rods, a lift arm, and sum shock brackets. And the only thing we done was put 4 link brackets in and fixed the shock mounts also fixed the front bumper deal. We can't wait to try it out.

48bad
10-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Does anybody think fox1162002 is kidding with us or is it just me?

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Does anybody think fox1162002 is kidding with us or is it just me?

A blue front Rocket is essentially a Rayburn. He isn't kidding.

hucktyson
10-08-2011, 08:43 AM
they should seeing's how cj has not changed his stuff in years and most have copied his frontend.

Except cj is a hundred years old now and probably isnt as motivated as he used to be to design a new car.

racin6mod
10-08-2011, 10:24 AM
h ell he's always been a hundred years old.lol I've talked with a lot of the builder over the years and cj it the only one that has called me to see how the changes that we talked about mid week worked out. yes cj has done a lot and really has nothing left to prove so what could motivate a guy to change his design or even stay in the bussiness? I just met mark richards at an arca race and found him to be an a ss!! he was putting the crew down and making stupid faces as they went threw the tech line at the springfield dirt race.it was like they were to good to race with that team.

fox1162002
10-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks Mastersbilt racer people might think im stupid but with a welder and a plasma cutter I can do alot. We didn't want to sell the car for nothing and I wanted to experiment with it. I believe it is gonna work pretty good.

old17ford
10-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Mastersbuilt racer has been helping us on our 09 RAYBURN and we seem to be getting better . I think as with any car you have to change the car some to suit the driver .

old17ford
10-08-2011, 08:08 PM
We have had both and we like the under rail the best think it is a little stronger .

48bad
10-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks Mastersbilt racer people might think im stupid but with a welder and a plasma cutter I can do alot. We didn't want to sell the car for nothing and I wanted to experiment with it. I believe it is gonna work pretty good.

I am in no way questioning anyones intelligence. As a whole, racers are the most ingenious, hard working, hardheaded(in a good way) group of people you will ever meet. The biggest difference is their personalities. I believe a Rayburn can be made to work without all the changes you mentioned. When you talk about finding a car to jig off of, building a jig, countless hours of cutting and welding, buying more parts including spindles and birdcages, I totally missed the point. Sorry. Good luck on your venture and I sincerely hope you have much success.

stevo
10-09-2011, 12:47 PM
If Scott and Oneal and Moran and Moyer were to get new Rayburns everyone would say wow those Rayburns are Soo fast !

Mod66x
10-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Alot has changed with the 2011 rayburns.....

fox1162002
10-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Well I enjoy working on any race car and yes there is alot of hours I put in on cars but I try and keep cost down my jig isn't much just two I beams I used to straighten frames on. And far as parts I shop around on used and new.

tigger47834
12-28-2014, 12:12 PM
CJ isn't a 100 yrs old, he still is very much concerned with how his cars perform. He has just finished the PRI show in Indianapolis, IN last month, had jumped back into his car at the end of 2014 season to show how easy he makes them to drive. He's continually striving to help make racing competitive without risking the bank to do it. Nothing is inexpensive to race anymore, but CJ tries to work with anyone who wants to race find a car for them. I'm proud to have my original Rayburn plate on the front of my car. He's the chassis builder everyone should be!

racin6mod
01-01-2015, 09:59 AM
a few years ago when we raced the lm every week CJ always took time to talk to me and with his help we got that car dialed in and won feature races at our local track the car is 100 percent swingarm with the purple bar.

CJ is the only chassis builder to call me back and talk for about an hour at 7pm. I'm sure he was on his patio drinking a beer while I was under the car doing what he said needed done!! he showed me how a customer should be treated and I do the same here at my business.