PDA

View Full Version : metric 9 inch question.

chevyracerjr
10-04-2011, 09:10 PM
did they ever make a ford 9 inch that would bolt directly into a gm metric car without cutting and welding arm or mounts? maybe a fairlane or somthing.

Dirtman29
10-04-2011, 10:51 PM
did they ever make a ford 9 inch that would bolt directly into a gm metric car without cutting and welding arm or mounts? maybe a fairlane or somthing.No ford rearends will directly bolt into a GM metric chassis or we would ALL be looking for them! Most ford 9 in. now used for racing came in older ford trucks & vans, which most (if not all) had leaf springs and entirely different mounting points.

chevyracerjr
10-09-2011, 08:34 AM
i was told ford put a coil spring setup in a fairlane. i have no idea.

Dirtman29
10-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Possibly, but when did ford last build the fairlane? Mid-late 60s probably. Doubt it was a 9" rearend in a light car like that. Im sure the mounting points are still different than any GM car.

ka_jd7and1
10-11-2011, 12:59 PM
I have seen a few 60s/70s Fords with a 9" in the junkyard but they were 3-link rear ends. Wouldn't bolt straight into a metric.

latemodel61
10-18-2011, 02:46 PM
we offer a trailing arm mnt kit here at A&A MANUFACTURING for mounting a 9" in a metric car. the lowers are already on the right angle, so very little time is wasted fitting them.
i know its a tick off the subject... just thought i could help.
jim
www.aa-mfg.com

racingford
10-18-2011, 09:48 PM
all fairlanes 69 and older were leaf springs not sure on the gallixys but they would be to wide.the a&a brackets work out great the uppers are of a square tube not plate type metal. the early 70 trinos may have been the 9 with some type of 3 link but it be to wide as well.

CHRIS08
09-14-2012, 06:08 AM
Hi dear great community which you have i get most useful information from here it's really nice and awesome and i want to ask a question which is that I don't understand what they mean by "appropriate metric units"... if anybody could please explain that to me!!

DaveBauerSS6
09-14-2012, 01:10 PM
did they ever make a ford 9 inch that would bolt directly into a gm metric car without cutting and welding arm or mounts? maybe a fairlane or somthing.

Answer is no.
Jeff at JNJ on here has the mounts. AA lowers are ok, but the uppers Jeff sells are the ticket. The upper mount is designed to clamp on the upper bushings. After the first race on the car you can loosen the clamp and relax the rear end by moving the bushing. No binding. I haven't found any other brackets like that. If you are not comfortable installing the mounts, Jeff was very helpful to me for directions.