PDA

View Full Version : Pierce lr spring in front/behind (4bar-z-link)

crowdpleazer
10-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Nearly all Pierce cars seem to run clamped up lr spring in front, the straight up 4 bar cars (Shaw,etc.) run lr behind on the Birdcage. Need help as to why the pierce cars do this, or how they act if spring on birdcage..Thanks

eclipsegse
10-05-2011, 05:29 PM
the difference is pierce cars are clamped up and shaw cars are spring behind and everything hookd on birdcage

rdracer00
10-05-2011, 06:55 PM
We just switched our Pierce to spring behind and it works quite well We have steadily improved at Eldora with it. Better shocks make a big difference too! Try it, I think you will like it. BTW we switched to j bar instead of short bar,

Good Luck, David Daughtery

crowdpleazer
10-06-2011, 09:18 AM
the difference is pierce cars are clamped up and shaw cars are spring behind and everything hookd on birdcage

my question is why? Whats the theory and how does it work differently...

MacNoodle
10-06-2011, 11:35 AM
If the lr spring is clamped in front of the housing Pierce style, the spring gets compressed/indexed into through axle rotation in acceleration, with the spring mounted behind the housing floated on the birdcage Shaw style the spring is indexed through birdcage indexing and can be manipulated through bar lengh. Biggest difference between he two that I've noticed is the clamped up has more initial drive on restarts and such, but once the car on the bars I feel spring behind has more drive overall. Keep in mind almost everyone that is spring behind on lr is spring in front on the birdcage on the rr.

crowdpleazer
10-06-2011, 03:21 PM
If the lr spring is clamped in front of the housing Pierce style, the spring gets compressed/indexed into through axle rotation in acceleration, with the spring mounted behind the housing floated on the birdcage Shaw style the spring is indexed through birdcage indexing and can be manipulated through bar lengh. Biggest difference between he two that I've noticed is the clamped up has more initial drive on restarts and such, but once the car on the bars I feel spring behind has more drive overall. Keep in mind almost everyone that is spring behind on lr is spring in front on the birdcage on the rr.

Thanks.wondering w z-link rr and lr clamped to birdcage how that works out on regular quarter mile sized tracks...

kencar87
10-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Nearly all Pierce cars seem to run clamped up lr spring in front, the straight up 4 bar cars (Shaw,etc.) run lr behind on the Birdcage. Need help as to why the pierce cars do this, or how they act if spring on birdcage..Thanks

I have an 09 scorp. pierce car and am running spring behind lr with a liftbar with a 14-1 shock and love it. The car is a lot more under control like this. No junk on the rear end anymore. get up on the bars just like before but with a lot of less jerking. Short bar on the left side, 5 in of rake. works well, straight up 60 on the back end with 2 in off all the way around go to 3 in off on rr for heat and feature. Try it , you might like it. By the way, I also ran the car clamped, it was good , but the spring behind was better for me. lf 5-3 rf 6-4 mud, 3-5 slick rr 3-5 lr 8-2 all night. shocks are bilstienn This works for me, but might not be you cup of soup. try it , like I said you might like it.

kencar87
10-06-2011, 07:51 PM
I have an 09 scorp. pierce car and am running spring behind lr with a liftbar with a 14-1 shock and love it. The car is a lot more under control like this. No junk on the rear end anymore. get up on the bars just like before but with a lot of less jerking. Short bar on the left side, 5 in of rake. works well, straight up 60 on the back end with 2 in off all the way around go to 3 in off on rr for heat and feature. Try it , you might like it. By the way, I also ran the car clamped, it was good , but the spring behind was better for me. lf 5-3 rf 6-4 mud, 3-5 slick rr 3-5 lr 8-2 all night. shocks are bilstienn This works for me, but might not be you cup of soup. try it , like I said you might like it.
spring is on top of the rear on rt rear. lf 750 rf 700 lr 200 rr 185 80 # lr, 49 cross 120# lf over rt front 54% left side

kencar87
10-06-2011, 07:54 PM
spring is on top of the rear on rt rear. lf 750 rf 700 lr 200 rr 185 80 # lr, 49 cross 120# lf over rt front 54% left side

58.9 % rear 15 gal fuel to start 50# of lead high in front of fuel cell