PDA

View Full Version : Best inexpensive oil for a flat tappet engine

tbone84
10-10-2011, 05:38 PM
What is the best inexpensive motor oil for a flat tappet engine tha mixes well with alcohol?And is good for breaking in a new camshaft?

joedoozer
10-10-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't know about Alky. But I run Valvoline VR1 Racing 10W30 in mine. You can find it for under $5 a quart. The zinc and phos levels are pretty for an over the shelf oil. And I buy a bottle of Lucas Oil Break In Additive. It's a zinc additive that can be used for engine/camshaft break in (use the entire bottle), or as an oil additive to raise zinc and phos levels high enough for solid lifter motors. For my 6 quart oil pan I use 3 ounces of the additive.

junebug
10-10-2011, 08:54 PM
kendall liquid titanium is really good stuff....its really reasonable price too

missile07
10-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Look at Spectro Semi-Synthetic oil. Added zinc for flat tappet cams. We use on alcohol and have had very good luck

joedoozer
10-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Look at Spectro Semi-Synthetic oil. Added zinc for flat tappet cams. We use on alcohol and have had very good luck

And I don't see anything on their site about what is in their oil.

kendall liquid titanium is really good stuff....its really reasonable price too

I like Kendall oil and use it in all my street cars, but it doesn't have enough zinc and phos for me to feel comfortable putting it in a solid lifter motor. Unless you were mixing in an additive. Kendall has a great site, their product sheets show a lot of info.

Off the shelf the VR-1 had really high levels at 1500ppm, and its easy to find. And there is a general consensus that 1500 to 1800 is the bare minimum for a flat tappet engine. 2000 being ideal.

joedoozer
10-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Here is a good oil site.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

They have a great forum that talks about oils, and tests them; posting the results. Just scroll down to the Oil Analysis Reports. Here is a quick link to several types of oil tested.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=478127#Post478127

dirttrackrocker
10-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Brad Penn oil is what my engine builder recommends. Less than $40.00 a case

powerslide
10-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Brad Penn oil is what my engine builder recommends. Less than $40.00 a case

dang i am getting screwed!!!! $52 last time i bought a case. what area are you in?

dirttrackrocker
10-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Central Pa. About an hour and a half away from the refinery in Bradford Pa. Last case I bought was at the beginning of the season. Might have gone up now.

cavemod
10-11-2011, 01:55 PM
What is the best inexpensive motor oil for a flat tappet engine tha mixes well with alcohol?And is good for breaking in a new camshaft?
why not use brad penn break in oil for the cam then use vr1.as far as mixing with alky none mix well.My motor get the oil changed every 3 nights with no discoloration,afterwards it gets used again in our parts chaser beater car to finally meet its end in our waste oil furnace.If you care about your motor then DO NOT SKIMP ON THE OIL !!!

oldtrackchamp4x
10-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Ditto on the Brad Penn oil. Used to run Valvoline, like the Brad Penn better.