PDA

View Full Version : BEST Header

wildmanracer3
10-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Ok guys, I am building a Super Stock 4 2300 and want to get feedback from anybody that has done any dyno testing with different headers. I always ran the Esslinger thunder valley header but would like to find out some definate information on if it is any better than the rest. I was thinking about it, or the Tri y by Shoenfield, or the header from Power by Ace. So anybody that has some definate feedback on comparing these or any header that is better please chime in.

Dan32
10-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Ok guys, I am building a Super Stock 4 2300 and want to get feedback from anybody that has done any dyno testing with different headers. I always ran the Esslinger thunder valley header but would like to find out some definate information on if it is any better than the rest. I was thinking about it, or the Tri y by Shoenfield, or the header from Power by Ace. So anybody that has some definate feedback on comparing these or any header that is better please chime in.

the thunder vally is the best but for the money being that there very very close,the powered by ace!!! tri y is 14 hp below both of these!! its junk!!

84Dave
10-14-2011, 11:01 AM
I helped with the modification of a Schoenfeld 4-tube header on a road-race 2.0L Capri. The engine was equipped with the Schoenfeld & the race car always ran in the top 5 of its Class. Purchased a CD of Larry Meaux's PipeMax software from maxracesoftware.com . Simply rebuilt the Schoenfeld to recommended PipeMax dimensions & the mod added ~23 HP to the engine, subsequent to a carb tweak to work well with the new header. PipeMax is the best bang-for-the-buck you'll ever spend on your race engine & its exhaust system!! -Dave-

boportt
10-17-2011, 07:20 AM
if u aint got a dyno u will never no wat the BEST heder is. cuz what mite be the BEST on daves moter mite be junk on ur moter so the dyno is the only way to no if u got the BEST.

84Dave
10-17-2011, 11:20 AM
boportt........ that's the beauty of the PipeMax software. You can specify the operating range of your engine, specify the rpm you'd like peak torque to take place out of a corner, and the software will figure it all out for you. Even stepped-header pipe OD dimensions. The software is so exact that one can measure the length of the intake passages, enter them into the software, as those numbers are a HUGE part of the dimensional calculation requirements for an exhaust system. The induction & exhaust tuning waves MUST work together for best engine TQ/HP development. -Dave-

Old Rob
10-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Isn't it wonderful that all these formula's are now available to tell us what we learned from hours on the dyno in the late 60's early 70's. They do help get things in the ball park, however the physics of aerodynamics (sp) has not changed. In the end it is the combonation, engine, gearing, car weight, etc that is the final factor. Consistancy is also a important factor. I've seen engines make an ungodly amount of power and when they tried to duplicate it, they didn't get it again all same specs.

pilotracer
10-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Since this topic came about i thought i would ask race engineering 2700 big vavles 610 roller needle baering head 6800 to 7500 HEADER CHOICE ???????? it has a long tubed threw the firewall schno on it now and moving to a new car same one or ?????

84Dave
10-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Modify your existing Schoenfeld header..... subsequent to using the PipeMax software I mentioned. OR....... use the software results & have Shoenfeld or Old Rob build you a header. But if you ask Schoenfeld to build a header not 'on their shelf', have your pocketbook open wide. Been there...... done that, but the Schoenfeld custom worked VERY well. 317HP out of a roller-cammed 2650cc with dual Webers. And (2) Pro-4 track Championships. Again..... use the software and remember, as with all software, lie about the software inputs & the software output will also lie to you in return!! -Dave-

pilotracer
10-27-2011, 08:26 PM
any advantage to in car out of car ?