PDA

View Full Version : Storing Tires

joedoozer
10-17-2011, 09:12 AM
I originally had this as storing tires question only. But decided to change it to winterizing your racing operation.

As the off season approaches, I have some questions about storing tires. I have some new tires I bought for a track that I no longer run weekly (SD-48's), and the track I run now has an open tire rule. I would like to keep the 48's because I do intend to run that other track once or twice a year at least. I have an unheated garage and it does get cold enough a few nights a year to freeze. What can I do to store these tires over the winter months and the beginning of next season? Can I spray them down with WD-40 and wrap them in plastic? Putting them in a closet in the house won't settle good with my crew chief (wife).

What other things do you do to store your car for the winter?

Drain all the fuel out of the cell, lines, filter and carb.
Loosen rockers (if you don't plan on tearing the motor down)
Drain the cooling system to include the little plugs on the block.

Z-UNITRacingZ62
10-17-2011, 11:10 AM
just wrap them in plastic. If you spray them with WD40 they will not pass tech.... But if that doesnt bother... Spray em down and wrap them... by the time spring rolls arround they should be nice and soft!

joedoozer
10-17-2011, 11:22 AM
The other track just tests for softness, they don't use a sniffer or anything. The 48's must punch a minimum of 44. Which is a joke because they punch 60's when they are new. And using softeners, is illegal, so explain that to me haha.

Racer63
10-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Man, Mine don't punch 60 when new. Well at least not after you hit em with a little grinding to knock off the glaze. More in the 48 to 50 range. Then again maybe i'm not using the durometer properly.

redfred
11-02-2011, 12:14 AM
When storing tires make sure they are spread out and not crunched up like a ball. Do not fold them like you get them off the truck, because the cold weather will cause them to crack.