PDA

View Full Version : aero beedlocks

modman67
10-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Are aero beedlocks usually hard to break the bead when dismount tires?

dirttrackrocker
10-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Not just the beadlocks. All aero wheels are a bitch to break the inner bead. I had a couple that I could not get to bead up. Took to a tire shop and they had 120 psi in them and they wouldn't bead up.

usafracer
10-26-2011, 12:58 PM
I have found that dawn dishsoap really helps.

racin6mod
10-26-2011, 05:16 PM
same here dawn dish soap, take it to a tire shop to have the inner bears broken you'll just bend up the outter lip with a beadbreaker.

Flyin Iowan
10-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Best thing i found to do was get REALs

CHRISTINE
10-27-2011, 07:44 AM
We do ours by hand never had any problem. Heck my wife can do them.

modman67
10-28-2011, 03:01 PM
I wound up taking it to a local tire shop. The first employee put the wheel on their brand new tire machine and gave up on it after 15 minutes. A second employee tried it, he lasted 15 minutes also. I thanked they for trying and rolled it out the door. The owner of the tire shop saw me leaving with it and asked what was wrong. I told him the machine wouldn't break the bead so I was going to go home and burn the P.O.S. wheel. He said no give it to him he would get it of or break it in half. I've know this guy for a long time, he's gotta lot of pride and couldn't let it leave. He put it back on the machine and and got a pry bar to help the machine to press the tire down. After another half an hour it finally broke down. I thought the owner was going to beak an arm in the middle of all this. I sent over an hour there using his machine and he wouldn't even let me pay him. Great guy, but a junk wheel.

modman67
10-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah I've used Real wheels since I've been racing. I just bought the Aero because I can get them locally, don't have to pay shipping, and they were cheaper. Now I know why they're cheaper.

dirttrackrocker
10-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Actually I have found, the hand bead breakers work MUCH better than the big machines. The trick is to do it a little at a time working your way around the wheel.

modman67
10-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Are Bassets as bad as Aero as far as breaking them down?

stockcar5
10-28-2011, 03:16 PM
just because its harder to mount and dismount tires on an aero doesnt mean its cheaper. thats actually what you want, especially in a non beadlock. the aeros have a larger inner saftey bead which keeps the tire from rolling off. fwiw i've found hossiers are the ones that really suck with aeros..american racers about fall on. so you cant always blame the wheels.

dirttrackrocker
10-28-2011, 03:21 PM
I have never had a problem with Bassets.

JCSullivan00
10-28-2011, 03:30 PM
I also use a hand bead breaker, and just work it in small chunks, may have to go around 3-4 times before it pops off, but it doesn't take much effort. I can change an Aero is just a few minutes.

Ferg58
10-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I have both Bassetts and Aero. I found the trick is to let the air out and then put the valve core back in. If you leave a little air in it will hold the sidewall up better and then the bead will break easier. Break the bead on both sides (None-Beadlock) before you take all the air out with a full break down. Hope this helps

stock car driver
10-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Hoosiers fit on ALL rims tighter. When IMCA switched to Hooiser I quit running aero wheels because they were to hard to get on and off and the EXTRA thick bead on the aero isnt needed..

Now that I run American racers some, I have aero wheels for the rf. I had a American racer fall off the bead on the track with a real wheel.

Aeros are needed on the rf in my opinion for american racers. They are over kill for hoosiers.

TeamGRT12x
10-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Sounds like you got a tight one. It happens. I have run Aero since I started racing in 2003. I have never had one issue mounting or dismounting tires.

Dirtrunner35
10-29-2011, 07:17 PM
On the newer tire machines they are real hard to get the bead loose. On the older tire machines they work great.