PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Spring Install

motorsports12
10-29-2011, 03:29 PM
I am hearing of a lot of people installing the leaf spring in reverse flipping the front for the back putting the end with more segments towards the back of the car - my car has the leafs installed like this (been that way since i bought it) - i want to replace the leaf springs and was thinking of going with the afco leafs with the reinforced front segment springs - they claim they give better forward bite - if i reverse the leaf will it still give the same affect with the reinforcement to the back

Dirtrunner35
10-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Your car has the hole spring in backwards ??

motorsports12
10-30-2011, 09:59 AM
no - it appears they (previous owners) turned the main leaf around cut the bands and spun some of the other leafs or redrilled holes - havent actually taken them apart - but i do know the springs themselves have lost a lot of the arch in them and the pin is 24" from the slider in the back not the mount in the front - they are a camaro leaf supposed to be 54" and they measure 55"

so is that what i do with whatever spring i buy - cut the bands and flip the leafs around - i dont want to change the wheelbase - actually i cant - the left rear is already in my (not a nice word) - but by flipping leafs around will it change the rating on the spring and is the afco reinforced front segment the way to go

dirty white boy
10-30-2011, 09:04 PM
sounds like your springs are left overs from the "fastboys" days,...you can get them new already mod'ed up from race mart or ask around on modified threads on here some of them still got some thay'd love to turn in to $$$$,...the new afco's with the reinforces fronts are a real good spring an shows great improvements....good luck!!

frontrunner
10-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Just take them out of the box and throw them on ran them that way but it lessins the rate of the spring I wouldnt do it & the main leaf isnt turne its the other>>>>>>

motorsports12
11-05-2011, 09:01 AM
i want to make sure what i am hearing - get the leafs (afco reinforced) and

1. just put them on the car - remember i have to have the shortest part of the spring towards the back of the car to get the locating spring in the correct spot - this will also put the reinforced part of the spring to the back

or

2. do i take the springs and cut the bands - spin the top (or the main) spring around to get the locating pin in the correct spot and then reband them and then put them on the car

i am a little leary of number 1 since all the support will be on the back part of the spring - but then i want to make sure number 2 doesnt lessen the spring rating - any help would be appreciated

dirty white boy
11-05-2011, 10:53 AM
id fix the car to put the springs under it the correct direction....