PDA

View Full Version : high air pressure

poor boy
10-31-2011, 06:26 PM
run asphalt 1/2 mile banked running low air in the teens on both sides has anyone runned higher air say in the 20 to 30 range

car62
10-31-2011, 06:40 PM
alot depends on the tire itself and what the manufacture calls for as starting points if it is a racing tire...but your tire temps will tell you if you need more or less air...i always start at 18 on left and 28 on right if its a racing tire..then i will go run 10-12 hard laps,and have my pit guy take temps and we adjust air pressures according to temps..for the most part we end up with:

LF-18 RF-28
LR-20 RR-26

on DOT street tires such as the Falken Azenis i usually end up running higher pressures such as:

LF-24 RF-38
LR-22 RR-36

84Dave
11-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Car62 is spot on! Use a good pyrometer & measure the surface temps in (3) places across the tire surface immediately after a practice session. Another item to measure and record? The change in tire PRESSURES. We put a short strip of colored duct tape just above all tires on the body. With a decently accurate pressure gauge & felt-tip pen, record all COLD tire pressures before you hit the track for a practice session. Then immediately after a good, hard practice session, measure the HOT tire pressures & record on the tape. The recorded increase in tire pressures, cold to hot, will tell you how hard each corner of the chassis is 'working'. On our Pro-4, with a well-balanced/handling chassis & 10" Hoosier 'slicks', the tire pressures cold-to-hot will increase 3#-4# on the left side & 5#-6# on the right side. Bottom line? HOT tire temps and cold-to-hot tire pressure change will tell you a lot about how the chassis is handling, even if the chassis feels pretty good in a short practice session. But get the temps & pressures correct, & the chassis will still handle well @ the mid & end-point of a race........... where it really counts! And the 3rd item in your tool box should be a tire durometer to also check/monitor the hardness/softness of the surface rubber. If your tires are near the end of their useful lives, the surface rubber will be hard even after a hard practice session. And the chassis likely won't handle well. -Dave-

stock car driver
11-01-2011, 11:15 AM
run asphalt 1/2 mile banked running low air in the teens on both sides has anyone runned higher air say in the 20 to 30 range

What tires?

Radials or racing tires?

poor boy
11-02-2011, 06:16 PM
running hoosiers

car62
11-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Hoosier what...F-35...F-45...Commanche...etc...?