PDA

View Full Version : transmission help

grydergeyer26
11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
i need help i have a direct drive powerglide now but many people have broken them at my track
my teamate runs a saginaw but hes busted the case so many times i cant keep track
i need help in finding a tranny that will last

frontrunner
11-02-2011, 07:22 PM
How much HP u ruunin & r u running a tans.. mount

Dirtman29
11-03-2011, 08:10 PM
i need help i have a direct drive powerglide now but many people have broken them at my track
my teamate runs a saginaw but hes busted the case so many times i cant keep track
i need help in finding a tranny that will lastYou have to use mid-mounts with either trans, are you using a rear trans mount (under the tailshaft)? If so, get rid of it!

grydergeyer26
11-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Mid trans mounts everyone around here breaks the shafts in the tranny
hp no idea

stock car driver
11-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Breaking ears on saginaw is usually from a cheaper bellhousing, tell him to check it and make sure it is flat next time he has it off with a straight edge accross the trans surface.

If you havent broken a auto then keep doing what your doing.

raceman17
11-04-2011, 10:04 AM
I went though a bout of breaking ears off the saginaw for weeks. I think I busted 4 or 5 cases in a matter of 8 to 10 weeks. Like Jeff mentioned above.. Make sure the surface where the transmission bolts to the bellhousing is absolute flat. If not you are pre stressing the ears of the case when you go to tighten everything down. I ended up taking my bellhousing to the machine shop and having .060" shaven off the face of the bellhousing and I have not had anymore issues with the cases. I am also running a mid plate type motor mount with no mounts on the back of the tranny.

frontrunner
11-04-2011, 03:25 PM
If ur running the powerglide make ya a mount & mount it to the stock location on the tailshaft been through that before and kept breaking them till I put that mount on & 4 years now with now problems...And what shaft broke on ya ???? I have been running the powerglide for years & love it With a 600 hp motor........

grydergeyer26
11-04-2011, 06:14 PM
they have been breaking tailshaft around here like crazy i have a mid mount so make a tail mount too then

Graff Spee
11-04-2011, 10:19 PM
If you must run a rear mount, make sure you run a rubber type one. Do NOT run a solid one!!! good luck.

stock car driver
11-05-2011, 09:42 AM
I run front and mid mount only my GLIDE hangs free. Breaking a tail shaft from what I know happens some in mods but never heard of it for a stock car.

I just switched to autos last year, Ive got 50 nights of racing on my autos. I rolled my car three times since going to a auto, the 3nd time destroying it.

I put it in a new to me car and the clip on it got bent so bad when I changed motors I had to bend the mid plate on the 2nd motor to get it to bolt up. My auto still is working fine just hanging.

bushracing67
11-05-2011, 10:40 AM
you can build a cradle to support the trans, use 4 shock mounts ans some 1/2" tube with heims, weld up plates to mount shock mounts to left and right of trans, attatched the with the bell housing bolts then run a piece of 1 1/2x3/4 box tube bolted to the trans in the stock mount location, weld the shock mounts to the box tube and tie it in to the bellhousing mounted plates.. works great, i personally never had trouble breaking transmissions so i never made one of these for my car, however a couple lower budget guys that i have helped in the past that like to shorten their own drive shafts, run junk yard yokes and u-joints etc have had tailshaft and/or ear breakage issues and this set up has stopped the breaking issues

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/bushracing67/trans.jpg

frontrunner
11-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Yep I would run a tail mount..& all I run is the tail mount.. Make sure ur bushing is good in tail shaft & make sure u dnt bottom out the shaft in the yoke & u will be ok with all of it........One more thing run the hardend shat in the front....

frontrunner
11-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Run the stock rubber mount if ya go that way.........

grydergeyer26
11-05-2011, 08:58 PM
i got a pedal n my car soon as u hit it kills car just moving into a v8 i didnt put it gether so is that right or wrong

frontrunner
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Dnt know bout that I dnt run pedal in mine..Mine runs lines off front pump to the valve in car is what I use....

Dirtrunner35
11-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Frontrunner, your car would be done if you stayed off of here :)

frontrunner
11-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Hey dirtrunner35 listen here my car is dne & ur on here way to much..lol