PDA

View Full Version : Throwin Dirt cars & metric stub questions

Wheelman33
11-08-2011, 05:22 PM
New to mod racin and clueless!!
Any opinions on either of these?

On a metric stub car can ya switch to running pinto spindles and not totally change geometry other than bump?

dirttrackrocker
11-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Shouldn't be a problem.. The only thing to be aware about with a metric is, if you are using metric lowers, you will need a lot heavier spring than you would with a Chevelle.

dsm_speeder
11-08-2011, 07:18 PM
If I was to own a TND I would put either Dave Groves (GRS) metric tubular lowers on or convert your whole set-up to Brian Ruhlman's Front end. The issue with the Stock metric stuff is the wheel Motion Ratio is low due to being narrower than a Nova or Chevelle. GRS has I believe changed to Nova stuff but they still make Metric lowers

The major problem with pinto spindles is bump steer. This can be fixed but it does take some time. The other issue I have found on the pinto's when converting from metric is Driver feel. Due to the shorter steering arm they tend to quicken your steering, it is sort of tough to get the hang of but again can be fixed. The positives of the pinto's is that they dont bend easy, they are taller which helps camber gain, lighter, and more readily available new.

Your other option is to leave it the same and get the new GM Spindles. I beleive I have seen them on here (Hammond Motorsports) Have not seen one or heard of anyone using them around my area. They seem to adress all the issues of the pinto spindle. Hope this helps.

dsm_speeder
11-08-2011, 07:26 PM
If I was to own a TND I would put either Dave Groves (GRS) metric tubular lowers on or convert your whole set-up to Brian Ruhlman's Front end. The issue with the Stock metric stuff is the wheel Motion Ratio is low due to being narrower than a Nova or Chevelle. GRS has I believe changed to Nova stuff but they still make Metric lowers

The major problem with pinto spindles is bump steer. This can be fixed but it does take some time. The other issue I have found on the pinto's when converting from metric is Driver feel. Due to the shorter steering arm they tend to quicken your steering, it is sort of tough to get the hang of but again can be fixed. The positives of the pinto's is that they dont bend easy, they are taller which helps camber gain, lighter, and more readily available new.

Your other option is to leave it the same and get the new GM Spindles. I beleive I have seen them on here (Hammond Motorsports) Have not seen one or heard of anyone using them around my area. They seem to adress all the issues of the pinto spindle. Hope this helps.