PDA

View Full Version : Need info on a crate motor...please help!

Ford motorsports
11-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I am thinking about buying a crate motor. They said it has nesmith bolts in the intake....can someone please tell me what nesmith bolts are?

Thanks

cheese28
11-08-2011, 09:11 PM
NeSmith bolts means it a legal NeSmith crate motor for the NeSmith crate racing touring series. Anything on the valve covers say who built it?

Ford motorsports
11-09-2011, 08:53 PM
No not real sure on who built it. All I know is that they won't $4,500 for it minus carb. Has couple hundread laps on it.

Dirt2727
11-09-2011, 11:00 PM
No not real sure on who built it. All I know is that they won't $4,500 for it minus carb. Has couple hundread laps on it.

I thought you could get a brand new one for around 5,000

Ford motorsports
11-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I think you can buy a new one for about $5,100 w/o taxes. But this motor we are looking at has everything but carb on it.

tsand
11-12-2011, 09:05 PM
a nesmith motor will be legal only in the nesmith series but not fastrak. nesmith allows after market valve springs and piston rings. a fastrak motor will be legal in both series. a nesmith seal will be allowed in fastrak as long as the springs and rings are still gm.

Egoracing
11-13-2011, 10:40 AM
a nesmith motor will be legal only in the nesmith series but not fastrak. nesmith allows after market valve springs and piston rings. a fastrak motor will be legal in both series. a nesmith seal will be allowed in fastrak as long as the springs and rings are still gm.

Not sure where you heard this. Rule #4 in Nesmith rules: NO CHANGES ARE ALLOWED TO THE ENGINE - INTAKE MANIFOLD, HEADS, VALVE COVERS, FRONT COVER, OIL PAN, HARMONIC BALANCER OR ANY OTHER PART / OR PARTS ON / OR IN ENGINE.
A) Beginning in January 2010 Competitors may run a maximum of a .020” shim under valve springs on repaired or rebuilt engines, or on new engines, that inconsistencies are found with “install height” or “free height” of replacement valve springs, and must remain with in the GM specifications for install height (604-1.780”, and valve spring seat pressure, 604 105lb maximum. Crate Racin USA Valve Spring Tester is the official tester, and all final rulings will be based on this tester ONLY. WARNING!! It is the racers responsibility to ensure each INDIVIDUAL valve spring has the correct “install height” and meets the maximum valve spring pressure rule, as per the GM specification manual.

Nothing about changing springs or piston rings.

Jake08
11-13-2011, 11:35 AM
GM seals can run in both I have 1 for $4000 with carb included plus water pump and fuel pump also distribitor all included 22 nights.2174302277

tsand
11-13-2011, 01:02 PM
the springs must retain the same height and pressure but do not have to be from gm. the gm,s are junk and over priced

Egoracing
11-13-2011, 05:33 PM
the springs must retain the same height and pressure but do not have to be from gm. the gm,s are junk and over priced

When did they change that? The East Bay race at the beginning of the year there was a car DQ'd because the springs were not GM and he was popped after qualifying or a heat race.
The rules say point blank that you can not change anyting.

mqdirtracer57
11-15-2011, 10:01 AM
I hear that some builders are getting by with swapping pistons and rods from side to side...I guess if it stays GM it is OK?

Egoracing
11-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I hear that some builders are getting by with swapping pistons and rods from side to side...I guess if it stays GM it is OK?

I think that it would fall under "no changes are allowed to the engine" rule.

Racer63
11-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Ego why would that not be allowed? And a better question for me is why are they doing it. Balance? Whats the difference in swapping stuff around or just replacing it when they rebuild?

Egoracing
11-15-2011, 06:29 PM
The pins are slightly offset if I remember correctly so it would increase comperssion. The pistons are not being run as installed by GM is why it would not be allowed. You are changing the engine from how GM built it the same as if you replaced parts. It does not say you can do anything you want as long as you are using the original parts, it says that you are not allowed to change anything. It is the same piston moving it to the other side is running them installed so the valve pockets are in the wrong location and you may have to have the valve pockets clearenced which would also be illegal.

Racer63
11-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Got Ya. Thanks

mqdirtracer57
11-17-2011, 11:32 AM
If I am not mistaken the pistons have four valve reliefs. From what I read the piston pins are offset.When moving them to the opposong side it changes rod angle,which increases rod length slightly because of location on the piston.Which increases torque curve on mid-range and top end RPM. This only works on engines with offset piston pins. Factory type engines use offset pins to prevent piston slap(engine knock) at idle and low RPM. Thats why factory type pistons have a notch to tell where the front of the piston is.I have heard a lot of guys running factory stock classes doing this.