PDA

View Full Version : Updating a 2003 Harris? Is it worth it?

rob119
11-08-2011, 11:54 PM
I have a 2003 Harris, it has been modified to a 4 bar. I was wondering how much I would be looking at if I had it updated? Anyone have any ideas on what is involved with updating and a price range I may be looking at? Thanks

bkriegle
11-09-2011, 02:00 AM
I called Smiley's racing one time to have a chassis updated. They quoted me a price that was only about $200.00 short of a new bare chassis. My experience has been that its usually as cost effective to buy just a brand new bare chassis from somewhere, and put your parts on it. That is a great time to update any parts that may be lacking also.

As to answer whats involved, well that all depends on what it is now. More to the fact that it depends on what you want, and what is available per that builder. You will have to contact the builder of your choice about that. Some only build new rolling chassis. Those usually run around $12,500.00-$14,500.00

HEAVY DUTY
11-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Updating old chassis is generally not worth it.Chassis have a life span (which depend on the brand and the track conditions it was raced on).Most chassis that have been raced more than 50 or 60 nights are used up.If you update an old chassis with new brackets you still have a wore out fatigued chassis with wore out and fatigued parts. It takes us about 35 hours to build a new chassis (ours have more on them than most) and it is easy to spend half to two thirds as long to repair or update a chassis to something it wasnt originally designed for.Some guys want a front and rear clip and new right side door bars and body mounts which is more than 2/3s of a new frame, and that is why it costs more than 2/3s of a new frame.I know it is important to save money, but spending a lot of money on a wore out piece instead of waiting until you can buy a good one is throwing your money away.With that being said, there is some nice used cars for sale, you just need to look them over real good.

Just some advice from someone who knows.
Don Adams Lightning Chassis

carney725
11-09-2011, 10:35 AM
I have an 03 Harris with 06 updates. I bought it that way and I talked with the guys at harris a bit and the only different from an 03 and an 06 is they put it new upper frame rails in the back to allow for a taller rear spring. If you want pm me with you email address and I can send you pictures of the back of my car and you can compare with yours. 06 Updates are also the last updates you can do to a square tube car also. What CHassis number is yours?

J Brichacek
11-17-2011, 04:39 PM
My friend has a 09 Harris for sale, will sell as roller or just frame.
Call 402-367-2557