PDA

View Full Version : Tips for begginners

Snyder21
11-09-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm a young guy who just got into racing with his father 4 years ago. We currently race street stocks and do fairly well and are looking at making the jump to a Crate Late Model. Dad drove late models in the early 90's, but anybody in dirt racing knows how much technology has changed in 5 years, let alone almost 20. I'm the crew chief for our current car and i've learned alot about car set ups, but i'm currently looking for any and all information on Dirt Late Model and Open Wheel Mod type cars. Any suggestions will help. Thanks for your time.

SLM98
11-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Go to the Ray Cook/Dale Mcdowell school, they teach you set up and driving tips.

Snyder21
11-09-2011, 06:52 PM
My dad did that school about 3 years ago and said he leaned alot on how to drive the cars of today compared to when he was in them. I'm wanting to start driving myself in the next couple of years when he moves back up to late models, is the rocket chassis school a good bet too or is it mainly how to set up their cars? I've got a ton of things i want to become knowledgable on as you can tell, i just cant figure out what will give me a better understanding of how all late models and open wheel mods work.

redfred
11-10-2011, 12:01 AM
If you can afford it and have the time, get to one of the Race Wise seminars done by Mark Bush. It will be the best money you have spent. It is 3 Full days of learning you won't find any where else. Rocket is hosting it in January and I believe they have an open house on Saturday night as well.

hall99
11-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Don't get caught up in "trick" setups, stay neatral adjust from there. Focus on what you can change driving before assuming the is a problem with the car. Get laps be consistant. Learn to read the tracks and don't be afraid to ask questions. Maintenence your car, take care of your tires...and have fun!!

Matt49
11-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I agree with all of the previous posts.
While some of the information in it is a bit dated, get your hands on a copy of this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Late-Model-Chassis-Technology/dp/0936834986/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321024864&sr=8-1
Again, there are a few things that are dated (namely their LR spring theory) but it will give you the gist of what you need to know. The book came out in 2004 and there isn't really anything available to the public in print much better than this today. This is a market that I'm surprised hasn't been tapped but many folks have realized more money can be made with seminars than selling books. Those folks are right. That being said, the seminars are a VERY good value but you will only get out of it what you put in. Take good notes and show up bright eyed and bushy tailed (in other words, head back to the hotel at about midnight instead of 3:00AM :-)).
Get on a very good routine maintenance program. Races are won in the shop. And you'll learn a lot about your car by simply spending time going over everything on the car week in and week out. Your car will thank you for it in its own way.
Befriend one of your local, older, hot shoe drivers. These guys aren't as ultra-competitive as they used to be and they usually get a kick out of giving a new guy some pointers and taking someone under their wing.
Good luck!