PDA

View Full Version : Metric Chassis Setup Help....

3dinter
11-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I run a 84 Monte and seems to be tight on entry pushes in mid turn & and loose on exit. The entire chassis is stock and nothing has been cut or moved, in our class we have to run a OEM stock chassis, no weight jacks or brake adjuster all stock. It has LF 1100 RF 1000 LR 200 RR 175. The track is 1/4 semi banked track and goes dry slick at the end of most nights. Pro Adjustable stock shocks all the way around with Hoosier asphalt slicks #2045 on a 8" rim w/2" offset all the way around, usually on lf 11 rf 15 lr 10 rr 10 with 3/4" spacer on RR and 1" spacer on LR. Probably about 100 lbs of lead directly above the rearend & evenly spaced across the rearend. The car is new for the 2011 season & it has several feature and heat race wins you can view on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/user/3DInterceptor for IN CAR CAM and grandstand videos to possibly help for setup ideas.
What ideas can you give to help with the setup problem...???

dirt daddy
11-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Take spacers out of rear put 1 of them n the lf add a few lbs 2 rr & put a stiffer spring n lr

dirt daddy
11-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Few lbs of air n rr sr

3dinter
11-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Take spacers out of rear put 1 of them n the lf add a few lbs 2 rr & put a stiffer spring n lr

I have to at least use a 1/2" spacer on rr otherwise the tire will rub inside of frame.

3dinter
11-12-2011, 07:28 PM
stock car driver add more bite

that is make the left rear heavier more than the rr

that will free up entry and tighten off

if its too tight in the middle as you add bite, then add stagger.

how do you add stagger, what do you mean ?
im a lil slow on this term...

connor
11-12-2011, 07:51 PM
stagger means bigger tire roll out on right side than left side

3dinter
11-15-2011, 08:22 AM
With your tires 2-3 psi to the rr tire should increase the stagger.

rear stagger helps the car turn in the middle and drive off the corner

As mentioned above stagger is the rr larger than the lr.

I run my fronts even but dont measure them often. I only worry about rear stagger.

makes sense now you put it that way, appreciate the help.

3dinter
11-24-2011, 06:18 AM
With your tires 2-3 psi to the rr tire should increase the stagger.

rear stagger helps the car turn in the middle and drive off the corner

As mentioned above stagger is the rr larger than the lr.

I run my fronts even but dont measure them often. I only worry about rear stagger.

What kinda tires y'all run ? That abilene video your car looks really hooked up,,,seems like you run your rear kinda high...?? I also see alot of y'all run nose pieces,,what do u do to keep it cool ?? I got 2 row 19by28 afco with 15" 6 blade steel with no restrictors anywhere and just recently installed a shroud...tried 4 blade with & without shroud...come off 10 laps temp running 220 to 250. Haven't tried 6 blade yet.

TeamTerminator
11-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Make sure u have 1-1 pulleys on it too. good shroud with fan 1/2 in 1/2out of shroud. I also have the smallest afco double pass radiator in mine but dont think its a nessecity as others keep engines cool with single pass radiators.

racer110
11-28-2011, 09:28 PM
What kinda tires y'all run ? That abilene video your car looks really hooked up,,,seems like you run your rear kinda high...?? I also see alot of y'all run nose pieces,,what do u do to keep it cool ?? I got 2 row 19by28 afco with 15" 6 blade steel with no restrictors anywhere and just recently installed a shroud...tried 4 blade with & without shroud...come off 10 laps temp running 220 to 250. Haven't tried 6 blade yet.

Buy a set of restrictors, I always used the blue one. I believe it has s 3/4 inch hole. You have to have a restrictor or the water flows to fast, it does't have enough time in the radiator to cool down.

3dinter
11-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Make sure u have 1-1 pulleys on it too. good shroud with fan 1/2 in 1/2out of shroud. I also have the smallest afco double pass radiator in mine but dont think its a nessecity as others keep engines cool with single pass radiators.

yep, i got 1 to 1 and i just recently made a shroud and like you said it sits about half in and half out. our season is over down here so it maybe next year before i get to try it.

3dinter
11-29-2011, 11:39 AM
http://www.jnjfab.com/gallery/gallerylarge.asp?picid=323

Nice looking shroud, looks like it covers all 4 corners quite well.

3dinter
11-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Buy a set of restrictors, I always used the blue one. I believe it has s 3/4 inch hole. You have to have a restrictor or the water flows to fast, it does't have enough time in the radiator to cool down.

i tried the lower hose restictor, and the three sizes for the upper hose in the h20 neck with and without a shroud & 4 blade..still nothing seemed to work. im gonna just keep trying different options till i get it the lowest i can.

brad hibbard
11-30-2011, 09:41 AM
4 blade GM fan NOT an aftermarket copy----GM #405442

90% of your problem

Brad
www.race-1.com

3dinter
12-08-2011, 09:00 AM
4 blade GM fan NOT an aftermarket copy----GM #405442

90% of your problem

Brad
www.race-1.com

I think i have the Afco 4 blade...i took it down to the GM dealer and compared it to the afco and i didnt see a difference in blade pitch or length or placement of the blades.

3dinter
12-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Afco fan is way way way flatter and also has square ends.

I didnt finish a heat race running a Afco fan 7 years ago or so.

The GM fan is balanced to 8000 rpm. None of the others are balanced..

My ends were not square they were kinda pointed,,,so it may not have been an Afco. Would that Radiator shroud picture you posted be big enough for the 4 blade GM fan on a Afco 19 x 28 2 core radiator ?

3dinter
03-18-2012, 09:29 PM
well we had the second race of the season, and these are the changes i made. I placed the 1000 lb on the RF, the 1100 on the LF added about 50 lbs weight to the left side over the axle, checked the stagger on the tires and placed them correctly on the car, added hawk pads to the left front and last years stayed on the right side. during hot laps the car setup like a dream on a slightly wet track, i freakin couldnt beleive it, no tight, no push, not loose on exit..during the feature the track went kinda dry slick and it still setup good, except for the Driver needs a lil more experience in the class we run now.
We appreciate all the suggestions everyone gave it made a world of difference to the car.