PDA

View Full Version : Floated 3 links

steveshawjr
11-11-2011, 02:32 PM
i have herd of some guys running right side floated with a ladder bar type trialing arm.

just want some input on how it works and if there are any photos of this just doing some digging building a new car rules say 3 link only ( mod 4 )

dirttrackrocker
11-11-2011, 03:31 PM
I would think if you're gonna float one side like that, might as well float the other and run the spring in front on a clamp on LR.

justdrive33
11-11-2011, 09:08 PM
That could be a spear rod. I've only heard of one guy running one can't remember his name or what kind of chassis he had but he won a race at speedweeks about 4 or 5 years ago.

ace1
11-12-2011, 09:45 AM
I have a older car, a Champion Chassis that had that on both sides. Also had a lift arm. Being new to mods and not knowing how to work with it I took it all off after a couple of seasons and went standard 3 link. I still have all the parts. I had some pictures at one time. I will see if I can find them.

mod11h
11-12-2011, 03:40 PM
what you are talking about is what we used 20 years ago. We called it a wishbone and used a pull bar with it. It was used on an FRC house car. Metric cliped. It worked awesome on tacky going to dry but when it went slick it was a handful. It had rear steer in it but you coudnt adjust it very easy. It was an ok idea then. maybe with the shock tech it could work better. Give it a try and let us know

steveshawjr
11-12-2011, 04:54 PM
weill this is what i mean it is a spear rod setup just cant find any info on it

http://image.circletrack.com/f/9018140+w750+st0/ctrp_0706_04_z+dirt_track_setup+spear_rod_control_ arm.jpg

washeduptoo
11-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Didn't GRS run this at one time, saw pics of it on web site.

ask0329
12-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Been having a conversation with dirtrackrocker on this set up today. Was wondering if anyone ever ran it, opinions, and such. Tips, tricks etc etc. Did it seem to work out better than the standard 3-link set up?
How was it to install and did you change much set up wise? Basicaly any and all info anyone may have.

3rd row, 2nd colum is a pic of this set up on a GRS car.

http://www.grsmodifieds.com/theshop.html

dirttrackrocker
12-15-2011, 02:24 PM
After looking at the pics Andy, I'm not sure it would be an easy con version. From the looks, you would have to move the mounts on the frame higher and ahead quite a bit. Look where the GRS mounts to the frame compared to where a 4 link or 3 link would mount...

ask0329
12-15-2011, 05:55 PM
shoot, i see that now. both the grs and the red car in the pic above have that same mounting bracket on the chassis. So it would not be as simple as just a new bird cage, spear rod and some tweakin. guess i'll just stick to my original plan, rock the 3-link this year and change it over during the winter of 2012/2013. I need more seat time anyways.

racer110
12-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Dave @ GRS ran the spear rod on the right rear to take rear steer out of it. I don't believe he is using this set up anymore because his new 4 link mounts don't have the holes in it where the spear rod would mount.

Graff Spee
01-02-2012, 06:30 PM
I am pretty sure it was Mastersbuilt that tried to revive this spear rod deal a few years ago. If it was very successful I think they would have marketed it with some aggression. I don't see any advantage. It will shorten and raise your instant center, which will give you less seat of the pants feel. Once you get in a slick track you may just not do so well.

autoshop
01-12-2012, 02:41 PM
ran one on my harris in 93-94 ran standard 2 link on left and spear rod on right, had mixed results but ran on heavy track out here.