PDA

View Full Version : Quick Change lower shaft bearing

merc123
11-15-2011, 06:31 AM
The seal on the lower shaft bearing on the front of my quick change is leaking fluid. It drips probably a half dollar size or larger drip over the week. Is it worth changing it?

Also, how would you change it? Press out?

Egoracing
11-15-2011, 07:00 AM
You can pull the yoke and pull the seal out with a seal puller. When you replace it use some silicone on the outside of the seal and clean the shaft with some brake cleaner and use a small amount of silicone on the shaft to seal the yoke to the shaft as this is a location of some leaks.

merc123
11-15-2011, 12:21 PM
You sure we're talking about the right thing? This is where the lower shaft the pinion bolts to has a sealed bearing.

This is what I'm talking about is leaking. You can see on the right side where the seal part is broke.

http://www.03sbgt.com/lowerbearing.jpg

mqdirtracer57
11-15-2011, 01:17 PM
That would require a new bearing since the seal is broken...In my winters quick-change the bearing has a steel seal on the outer and no seal on the inner side,using the gear oil for lubrication. That bearing is very easy to replace.

Egoracing
11-15-2011, 02:33 PM
I read it as the seal not the sealed bearing. I have run them like that though with the front sealed BUT if you have it that far apart it is an easy swapout. Check the bearing supply houses though as prices are usually MUCH cheaper for the same bearing.

merc123
11-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Is it pressed in or just hammer it out from the back side?