PDA

View Full Version : flywheel question

fast90mini
11-15-2011, 07:16 PM
I have a one pice rear seal engine that just blew up, I'am taking the flywheel off and getting a new engine, but I was told that my flywheel won't fit on the new engine because of the two piece rear seal block that the cranks are different. It is a flywheel for a three speed trans not a auto trans, will they interchange or what flywheel do I need, and where to start looking, the one piece junk block is newer than the new engine I just bought, I think he said the new one was a 1985 block, thanks for any help, we are new to the v-8 cars.

Graff Spee
11-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Yes, you need a new flywheel. They are differant for the two piece rear main seal blocks. The best one to get is the lightweight one. I think it is from a corvette. its been awhile since I used one. They make them for both engines.

raceman17
11-16-2011, 06:19 AM
The early corvette flywheel 60 or 70s model (153 tooth) is one of the lightest you can get. Autozone sells then for right around 60 or 70 dollars. You might have an issue with the starter though. If you are using a stock type starter, you will need the starter that has the mounting bolts straight across. One bolt is shorter than the other. The starter with the mounitng botls positioned diagonally across the starter is made for the larger 168 tooth flywheel. Any "mini type" starter should work because they have dual mounting holes for both the small and large flywheels.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction.