PDA

View Full Version : best fuel pump for gas

spiderma4
11-28-2011, 12:18 AM
wanting to know what would be the best pump for gas running 438 sb2? i am running a race pump block style now and when running the mains the longer the laps it seems to start to lose power. sometimes fuel pressure drops down like when iam staging and wont move unless i shut off the motor and restart it.

hucktyson
11-28-2011, 02:37 AM
wanting to know what would be the best pump for gas running 438 sb2? i am running a race pump block style now and when running the mains the longer the laps it seems to start to lose power. sometimes fuel pressure drops down like when iam staging and wont move unless i shut off the motor and restart it.

cv products/spin 2508 with dead head style regulator, the fuel pressure never moves

joedoozer
11-28-2011, 05:39 AM
I have been running this pump.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M60969/

And this regulator.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-67383/

I set it at 6 psi and haven't had a problem this year. The needle never moves and if it does, there is a problem.

hucktyson
11-28-2011, 06:03 AM
I have been running this pump.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M60969/

And this regulator.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-67383/

I set it at 6 psi and haven't had a problem this year. The needle never moves and if it does, there is a problem.

I havent come across a single engine builder yet that asks for 6psi they all ask 7.5 to 8 for gas, and thats cornett, clements, russel baker and a few others over the years. And guess what else ?? They all use the spin/cv 2508. Yes there more expensive but they are rebuildable and they last (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) near forever. The guy didnt ask whats the cheapest thing that might provide enough fuel to not burn pistons , he asked whats the best pump for gas. from there you have race pump which i have herd soooo many horror storys i wouldn t even consider it, you could use an aeromotive belt belt drive which can supply (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) near anything but you risk losing a belt and not finishing the race and you have the cv products stuff which almost every major engine builder uses exclusively. If you have a $5000.00 motor you use a 150.00 fuel pump if u run something that makes big time power and you spent a lot of money on it cv is the only way to go

Egoracing
11-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Really depends on what block you are running. Does it have a mechanical fuel pump boss? Do you run a trans with a drive off of it? The BEST is a rear mount belt driven pump if you can run it.

manwplan
11-28-2011, 11:29 AM
you ever run a braswell carb? The have you run 6-6 1/2 at idle

hucktyson
11-28-2011, 01:48 PM
you ever run a braswell carb? The have you run 6-6 1/2 at idle

To bring up a sore subject yes in fact I have a mack daddy braswell 4825 4 circuit that I have sitting on my desk to use as a paper weight it has about 40 laps on it. Can you explain to me how exactly you have 6psi at idle and 7.5 at w.o.t without using a bypass style regulator and a return line ?

sj valley dave
11-28-2011, 05:03 PM
We have a 422" Sb2.2 and use the CV Products pump with a dead head and it never moves off 7 lbs of pressure. Great pump. And we have a 3 circuit 1.59 Venturi Braswell with a constant 7 lbs through it with zero problems...

spiderma4
11-28-2011, 08:40 PM
thanks for the info, i can run off the back or onthe block. so the racepump pumps have issues?

TALON75
11-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Hey huck, what do you want for that paperwieght?

powerslide
11-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Hey huck, what do you want for that paperwieght?

already tried to talk him out of it!!!

hucktyson
11-29-2011, 11:18 AM
I talked to jack cornett about it and he said to send it back and he will get it fixed, so im sending it back and if that doesnt work out ill discuss selling it. After buying the carb, the 4825 specific air clearner and fuel long and running it 40 or so laps i am not about to sell it for half of what I paid , people were offering like $800.00 which isnt even half and thing this is in brand new condition. I am still stunned with the throttle response below 3500 rpm, I have never driven a crate car but this thing responded like id imagine a crate car would untill around 3500 then it was great untill you have the next restart. if sending it back fixes the issue i will be the first to come on here and say how great it is...

hucktyson
11-29-2011, 11:33 AM
I talked to jack cornett about it and he said to send it back and he will get it fixed, so im sending it back and if that doesnt work out ill discuss selling it. After buying the carb, the 4825 specific air clearner and fuel long and running it 40 or so laps i am not about to sell it for half of what I paid , people were offering like $800.00 which isnt even half and thing this is in brand new condition. I am still stunned with the throttle response below 3500 rpm, I have never driven a crate car but this thing responded like id imagine a crate car would untill around 3500 then it was great untill you have the next restart. if sending it back fixes the issue i will be the first to come on here and say how great it is...

As a side note Jack warned me that the 4 circuit deal was not perfected yet and he recomended using a normal 2 circuit, but after talking to braswell at pri I was convinced this 4 circuit was going to be a low rpm restart monster which is what i was looking for and exactly the opposite was true. From what im understanding most people sent there 4 circuits back and had them made into standard 2 circuits to fix the problem.

spiderma4
12-07-2011, 07:22 PM
hucktyson is there any regulators that are better to use with the cv pump? thanks

hucktyson
12-08-2011, 08:52 AM
hucktyson is there any regulators that are better to use with the cv pump? thanks

The one cv products/spin makes is really nice, its a little on the expensive side but it works great and last forever

BDR40
01-07-2012, 08:07 AM
We've ran the CV pumps for about three years with not one single problem! For sure the nicest most reliable pump on the market.

cswitch11
01-12-2012, 07:38 PM
I know this because of that time I put bad gas in and had to take out the fuel pump (http://www.carparts.com/Fuel-Pumps/600022093.car) to get the rest of the gas out (siphon wouldn't reach and pump wasn't pumping it out). I took the pump out and it wasn't wet but I filled a 5 gallon can and then some.