PDA

View Full Version : How much slack is ok?

dfhotlm33c
11-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Going through car...for next year

Appleton 3.4 rack

when engine isn't running, the steering wheel will move about 10* either direction before the wheels move..

examining closely, this slack isn't at the rack, as the input at the rack doesn't move when the steering wheel is turned through this range of slack motion..in other words, the slack seems to be generated strictly through the u-joints in the system..

is this normal, or too much? do I need to rebuild the steering column?

sj valley dave
11-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Replace the u-joints in the shaft...simple to do and our driver really liked the feel much better when we did...Having the wheel move that much without doing anything is a strange feeling I would think...

hucktyson
11-28-2011, 05:20 PM

Appleton 3.4 rack

when engine isn't running, the steering wheel will move about 10* either direction before the wheels move..

examining closely, this slack isn't at the rack, as the input at the rack doesn't move when the steering wheel is turned through this range of slack motion..in other words, the slack seems to be generated strictly through the u-joints in the system..

What your feeling is the torsion bar in the servo twisting and its normal

hucktyson
11-28-2011, 05:45 PM

Appleton 3.4 rack

If its actually 10 degrees thats pretty excessive if you take the shaft out and feel play in the joints then they should be replaced

sj valley dave
12-01-2011, 02:54 PM
When we replaced ours, the slack went to almost zero...10* is a ton of movement...imo

Palehorse
12-01-2011, 03:03 PM
make sure set screw is tight too, mine loosened up and I thought it was bad u-joints.

dfhotlm33c
12-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks so much! Great ideas! I will check the set screws first..