PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing grease

mudderfudder
11-29-2011, 04:24 PM
What does everyone recomend for wheel bearing grease when going through your hubs, bearings, races, ect? How often does everyone repack or replace bearings?
Thanks

AmickRacing
11-30-2011, 12:05 AM
I just got some grease and spray lube from these guys.
http://www.micro-armor.com/
I've repacked a couple bearings with it, obviously never been on the track with them yet. Their spray lube is pretty awesome. So far I've fixed a couple squeaks around the house with it that other stuff didn't really make go away.

Prior to that, I just used the "jar with the red grease in it". Cant' say I've ever had a wheel bearing failure, but I don't run more than 20 shows a year, and none of them are very long. I just replaced my wheel bearings this off season, most of the old one's are still shiny and spin free with no signs of damage. A couple did fall apart when I took them out tho lol

joedoozer
11-30-2011, 06:09 AM
I am in the same boat as Amick. 13 to 18 shows a year, most around 20-30 lap features. I use the red stuff in the tub for high temp. I am sure there is some better synthetic, low friction, NASA approved, Joe Gibbs made from bacon fat for $75 a tub. But so far the red stuff works for me.

talclipse
11-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Like the others have said I run relatively few weekly shows a year and have not had a bearing failure as yet. We recently switched to ATL grease on everything on the car and it made a noticeable difference in how freely the wheel bearings spun, additionally I noticed my outpace rods didn't require as much attention with this stuff. They had some product demonstration videos on youtube; if I can find them I will post them back here.

BDR40
01-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Gibbs... All their products are top of the line!

CrumpRacing
01-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Micro Armor will be the last type of grease/lube you will every buy.

ebm94
01-10-2012, 05:29 PM
MICRO ARMOR all the way the stuff is amazing!!!!! I have ran it on my wheel bearing for a year they still roll free and look new!! The spray also keeps ur rod ends alive alot longer!!!!

sobe92
01-10-2012, 08:50 PM
we use hydrotex they have a grease that is pink that is really nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rzRm9Lp_s

the pink stuff is mtp ultra . good enough for farmers good enough for me.

Sprint76
01-10-2012, 09:19 PM
+1 on the MicroArmor

I thought it was a typical gimmick, but we gave it a shot this year, with the left side hubs using our normal grease and the right sides using the microarmor. There was a noticeable difference in the spinning resistance of the hubs after the season. Is it enough to make any difference in performance? Probably not, but it still works as advertised.

The spray lube works great on heim ends also. It is a pain in the ass to shake it up and clear the nozzle/feed tube prior to each use though. The components separate if they sit for more than a few hours.

RACR_73s
01-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Would like to know where you guys got the micro armour. I went to order some from their site and the shipping was more than the product(31.95 in product and 34.02 in shipping for 3 small items). ~Thanks~

AmickRacing
01-22-2012, 09:24 PM
I purchased mine from their site also, and wasn't too impressed with the shipping costs. But since it's a liquid/grease I'm sure that has something to do with the higher shipping cost, the hazardous material crap.

If there's a better place I"d love to know about it too!

Sprint76
01-22-2012, 09:47 PM
We got ours at a local motorsports trade show. I know he's been at several shows in the PA/NY area.

ebm94
01-23-2012, 07:31 AM
I believe Motorstate / Lane automotive is carrying micro armor now give them a call

abe_05
01-24-2012, 08:07 PM
I am going to speak up this post. I was in the oil/ lube business for over 15 years. First the color of grease has nothing to do with quality, it is just a dye! So most red grease is a sales pitch. Most grease are lithium base which nothing but a soap that holds the actual grease. The grease is a oil like gear oil or motor oil. You have to mix it with soap or some other product to hold the grease since your mostly your are appling grease in or to a non sumerged part. How many times have you picked up a tube of grease and there is oil running out it. This is the grease separating from the soap. First lithium base is thick and tacky whick is not what you need in racing application. Second lithium base does not like heat compared to other types of grease. High temp lithium grease only goes up to 375 degrees some are only rated up to 350. At this temperature the grease will seperate from the base stock or the lithium. With no grease in the base the grease just runs out the bearing since there is nothing holding it there. Now your bearings will be running in mostly lithium then you will get a increase in heat and the wear bearings at a increasing rate. Your better grease have polyurea as a base now. I am not in the oil business now so this not a sales pitch but just good quality info. I have run this product below Polytac EP from Phillips 66 for years, they were the first to come out with this type of base. Temperature rating goes below zero up to 500 degrees. This grease is in urea which not near as thick as lithium and does not change characterics with temperature. This means you will get better flow, have less rolling resistance, and lower temperature on bearings. I was amazed at the difference in bearings at the end of year in my late model after running this grease. Other oil companies make and sell polyurea or a urea base grease. You will get far better results from this grease. This type grease in mostly advertised to the industrial customers so will have to call around to find it. This is the spec on Polytac EP. Best grease I have seen. Mostly used in heavy equipment and sealed for life bearings.

Polytac® EP

Multipurpose Extreme-Pressure Polyurea Grease; NLGI GC-LB Certified

Polytac EP is a high-performance, multipurpose, extreme-pressure polyurea grease specially developed to satisfy the severe lubrication requirements of plain and rolling-element bearings in long service life applications. It provides significant performance advantages over conventional soap-thickened greases in high-temperature, long-life and sealed-for-life applications Polytac EP is manufactured with high-quality base oils and a non-soap, polyurea thickener. It is compounded with a non-sulfur-phosphorus EP additive that provides extra protection against wear under heavy loading for longer bearing life, without being corrosive to yellow metals. It has excellent thermal stability at high temperatures plus high shear stability for long service life. It also has excellent low-temperature pumpability, is highly resistant to water washout, and protects against rust and corrosion. Polytac EP is NLGI GC-LB certified for use as a multipurpose automotive wheel bearing and chassis lubricant.

Applications

•Automotive wheel bearings, chassis parts and underhood applications such as alternators, air conditioner compressor clutch bearings, water pumps and idler pulleys
•Sealed-for-life bearings
•High-speed antifriction bearings
•Agitator bearings in washing machines
•Equipment in steel mills and chemical plants exposed to chemical contaminants
•Industrial applications requiring a high temperature, extreme-pressure, long-life grease

Features & Benefits

•Excellent high-temperature performance
•Excellent shear stability
•Excellent wear protection
•High load-carrying capacity
•Excellent resistance to water washout
•Protects against rust and corrosion
•Excellent low-temperature pumpability
•NLGI GC-LB certified

Hoosier78
01-25-2012, 10:22 AM
I purchased mine from their site also, and wasn't too impressed with the shipping costs. But since it's a liquid/grease I'm sure that has something to do with the higher shipping cost, the hazardous material crap.

If there's a better place I"d love to know about it too!

I gave them a call.......the shipping on the website is a mistake ( something is wrong with the program, they said) I bought two tubs of grease, one tube, and two spray bottles of heim spray, and the shipping was 15$

Z-UNITRacingZ62
01-27-2012, 08:37 AM
cant beat lucas oil red and tacky