PDA

View Full Version : alky or gas?

huckleberry_hound
11-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Whats everyones opinion on what fuel to run? I know alcohol is cheeper to buy than racing gas. How much more alcohol do you burn? Alcohol runs cooler and increases horsepower so I've been told. Gas seems to be more "troublefree" in that you can run a block mount pump with no return line and no bypass. We ran alcohol last year but are debating on swithing to gas. :confused:

Egoracing
11-30-2011, 10:12 PM
You use roughly 2.2 times the alcohol that you do gas.

talclipse
12-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Make the switch to gas. Alcohol is super corrosive and is hard on the fuel system. By burning at a much higher rate than gasoline you are changing the handling of your car significantly over the course of a race. If you make the switch to gas you will also want to talk to your engine builder to ensure that your cam will still be optimal for gas.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-01-2011, 07:15 AM
If you run short races and are a "poor man", I would go alky. It allows you to cut some corners to save weight on the cooling system. It gives you a bit more torque.

JMO

hpmaster
12-01-2011, 08:46 AM
I believe gas allows for better weight control. My move for this year is to continue using gas and go to a 16 gallon tank from 22 gallon I used most often last year, pushed forward to axle line and up in car for most races with 20 to 30 lap features. Reducing polar weight problems on both ends by moving radiator up and back as far as possible. Did this last year and really improved turning and allowed for more consistant handling by reducing fuel burn off changes as weight is controlled more by lead not fuel. Never liked the thought of 32 gallons of flammable ballast back there to run 20 laps at a local bull rings. JMHO

ALF401
12-01-2011, 09:13 AM
If you run short races and are a "poor man", I would go alky. It allows you to cut some corners to save weight on the cooling system. It gives you a bit more torque.

JMO

I agree, torque off the corner will make a big difference in how you run and if you don't have $30K in your pocket to buy the "Big Hammer" then Alky is an option. Maintenance is a key, as it is with the rest of the car.

huckleberry_hound
12-01-2011, 05:54 PM
I agree, torque off the corner will make a big difference in how you run and if you don't have $30K in your pocket to buy the "Big Hammer" then Alky is an option. Maintenance is a key, as it is with the rest of the car.

What kind of maintenance is recomended when running alcohol?

ALF401
12-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Make sure the Alky has been treated with an additive.

Start with a GOOD alky carb, big fuel lines, high volume fuel pump and a matched regulator with a return line going to the fuel cell. I like to use a low fuel pressure light as well. Fuel system is not where you skimp on money. Design the system for Alky, you can switch to gas with no problems, but if you design with gas in mind and switch to alky you WILL have problems!

Maintain Proper fuel pressure. See what it is at the End of the front strech, just before you let off!! Never go below 6 Lbs.

Avoid starting the engine and then shuting it off after only running a few minutes. Always plan the engine starts (if possible) and let the engine run til it is warm!

Drain the floatbowls after race night and fill with gas. Especially if engine will be idle for longer periods of time (say a week).

Make sure you use a metal and not a paper fuel filter.

Always keep enough fuel to finish the race plus 5 gallons if possible. Run out of alky and you might just have run out of an engine.

Start the engine in the pit and let it warm up prior to racing, you may need to temporarily block the radiator, I use an old body panel with a handle. I have seen guys use thermostats with the cooling system to warm up the engine. I don't use them. During the race keep your engine at about 180 degrees if possible. Too cold and engine performs poor, too hot and you will replace the engine! Lol

Carb Jets are important to get the most out of an engine when using Alky. If you are not a good carb guy, find one! A guy with PROVEN ability not one with verbal ability.

Fuel burn off is just like the changing track conditions for most short races. Car will loosen as the race progress, setup with this in mind.