PDA

View Full Version : Weight placement

supertruck
12-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Question about weight placement in my S10. Trying to get overall weight down, and more on the LR. Right now, the battery is on the left frame rail, right behind cab and down low. If I move it farther back, to the frame above the LR wheel, I can ditch one piece of lead. Saves me about 35 pounds, but moves the weight from low on the left side to higher on the left side and above the wheel. Sound like it will work, or not?

84Dave
12-05-2011, 10:31 AM
On pavement, it's always a good idea to keep the lead as low in the vehicle as practical. Why? Mounting lead up high increases the CG height & the chassis will roll slightly more. However, 35# up high in a vehicle that likely weighs 2500+ probably won't make much difference. But...... every little bit helps if one can place the lead down low. Back in the mid-70's, we ran a Chevelle in Street Stock. Wanted to add some lead so we simply bolted it to the inside of the left frame rail ahead of the LR tire. -Dave-

supertruck
12-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks Dave. Rules say all weight has to be between the frame rails and cannot be below the frame. The truck is about 300 above minimum and I’m looking to save anywhere I can. I figured I could ditch a piece of lead in the frame above the LR wheel and replace it with the battery. I lose about 35 pounds from the total weight of the truck, but I also end up relocating 35 pounds from the lower frame rail amidships to a spot above the wheel, which puts it higher in the truck and farther back. Just don’t know if it’s worth it or not.

7uptruckracer
01-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Call my cell if you want a setup that truck if you do all that Langley allows us should be 2500 pound area depending on driver weight keep the weight low, Work with your sway bar, front spring combos, Cross weight and weight placement. That ford motor should work well with that chassis. 571-721-8378. I'm building a new chevy too with a different motor but the #4 will turn .3's with the chevy motor and setup i ran in his. ~ Brad