PDA

View Full Version : trans question

robbie124
12-05-2011, 12:53 PM
i am new in dirt racing and i am putting together a modified i just bought a trans that no one i can find locally knows any thing a bout the big reason i bought it was it worked just like a bert.... its a muncie with only 2nd and 4th. it couples to a automatic flywheel and has an internal clutch(this is the tricky part) its a very unique trans and the biggest trouble i am haveing is what kinda oil to put in it normally regular gear oil but with the internal clutch i have know idea this is a strange set up to me but by checking the trans out in the shop everythin seems to work and i bought it for about a quarter of the cost of a used bert so i figured it was worth a shot..

thanks

king89
12-05-2011, 01:06 PM
On bert's and brinn's u can use ATF

sj valley dave
12-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Brinn recommends 20-50 non synthetic engine oil. This is directly from Brinn, not hearsay. We have used 20-50 for 4 years now and still are on the same clutch pack....

Racer111
12-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Those trans were around years ago.You will prob have a problem with it and parts are hard to find.I would send it down the road and buy a bert or brinn. In the long run they will be cheaper..

LM14
12-05-2011, 06:49 PM
You have a Guss transmission. Give Larry Eckrich a call at Precision Performance in Cosgrove, IA. They repair them and used to be the main dealer. Good in their day, but their day was 20 years ago like others said.

SPark

racin6mod
12-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I've rebuilt and built a few guss trany's at my shop(still have one in parts under the bench) you can use atf or even 30 wt motor oil.the weak areas are the input shaft and the front mounting ears they crack and break off. the input shaft will twist if used in a car with a lot of bit. te clutch housing is welded on a split gear cluster that has been modified to slide with a slave cylinder.they used many types of slave cylinders over the years.

I used a slave cylinder that I machined here at my shop and welded into the tail shaft housing. guss bolted most of thers using truck slave cylinder some were mounted to the trany cross shaft mounts.