PDA

View Full Version : How to set birdcage indexing

Hagen14t
12-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Hey guys, i was just wondering how you set the birdcage timing/indexing when you dont have the flat top ones? The ones i have are the bsb 3 hole ones but there really isnt a flat spot on them to set an angle finder. Any suggestions?

oldtrackchamp4x
12-09-2011, 02:43 PM
There are a lot of really smart guys on here, but if i was you, i would spend ten to fifteen minutes on the phone with your chassis builder. He will give you all the info you need specifically for your car. jmo. Goodluck

not clamped up
12-10-2011, 12:59 PM
If you don't have someone to call here's how have been doing it for many years,with the car at ride height you need a carpenters square and a tape measure make sure your floor is close to level,put the square behind the birdcage and measure to the center of the bolts that hold your bars on the birdcage try to keep the tape measure straight same for both sides if you have to do some adjusting its wise to scale the car again because moving the birdcages will change your numbers it can become a pain because you may have to do it several times to get your numbers right and the birdcages square but when your done thats one problem thats fixed.
dave

LM14
12-10-2011, 01:03 PM
You can make a "U" shapped bracket to place against the bolts and have a flat vertical surface to measure from. I have one with 2 flat bars that have 5/8" holes, these then goes back horizontally a few inches and a piece of angle iron welded between them. That way you are making the bolt holes straight up and down if the angle is vertical. Just make sure the 2 horizontal pieces are the same length.
SPark

BigBlueFord
12-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Hers a couple of pictures of what Willy's sells for indexing birdcages.

zeroracing
12-23-2011, 08:05 AM
Pull your shocks and springs off, then set the reaerend at ride ht with jack stands and shims. Now take a plumb bob and hange off the frame rail behind the car, now measure from the holes you plan to use to your string line. Little trig can figure whatever angle your wanting if you don't want square up.

The other way is many birdcages have a square, level, top on them to set an angle finder on, call your birdcage mfg and ask.

hipower17
12-31-2011, 06:48 AM
why do u index? is it a better setup? just one side or both?