PDA

View Full Version : Water pump question?

bb1527
12-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Guys I just traded my steel head motor for a 604 crate. I was trying to bolt my water pump up (short style) and it appears that it is hitting on one of the timing cover bolts. I think it may work if I take the bolt out or take it out and grind the head down. My question is will that still be legal for Nesmith/ Fastrack series? Or will I have to buy all new pulleys and water pump?

Thanks for any input!

9WRACER
12-12-2011, 04:49 PM
my 604 has a spacer plate on each side where the pump bolts to the block, works great!

brad hibbard
12-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Take the bolt out and grind the head down to clear.

you MUST remove the bolt to grind-----grinding on the engine will melt the cover or rubber seal

sometimes you have to get it pretty thin but a 6 point socket will install it just fine

spacer work as well but then you will need to space your crank pulley and that can cause problems.

Brad
www.race-1.com

brad hibbard
12-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Also if you were using a cam stop on your steel engine make sure you remove it or back it off it will break the plastic timing cover

Brad
www.race-1.com

bb1527
12-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the help! I didnt want to go the route of spacing the pump due to the trouble of lining the pulley up afterwards. I ground it down and it worked fine!