PDA

View Full Version : Liftarm centerline of chassis?

powerslide
12-12-2011, 04:00 PM
which side of the centerline are liftarm's mounted on in your late models?

joedoozer
12-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Not quite sure what you mean. You mean the side of the center section? Mine's on the right, and I can imagine there is room on any car to run it on the left.

Matt49
12-12-2011, 04:48 PM
It should mount on the right side of the center section and run along the right side of the drive shaft point slightly toward the RF corner.
What chassis do you run?
Different builders have different ways of supporting the front of the lift bar laterally and it is important to understand where it will end up during suspension travel to avoid 5th-coil bind and/or interference with the drive shaft.
And I think what the previous poster meant to say was that he CAN NOT imagine enough room on the left side on any car.

powerslide
12-13-2011, 05:57 PM
i mean if you cut the car in half front to back how close to the center of the chassis is your liftarm i know they are to the right of the driveshaft in most applications and that the motor is usually offset to the left a little but how far to the right of center is the mounting point? Going to work on getting a mod w/ liftarm put together this winter and need a point to aim for. I know it will be tougher to get it further left in a mod.

If i moved the motor to the right and got clearence for the liftarm to the left of the driveshaft what would the effect of having the liftarm so far to the left be? alot of left side lift and planting the lr harder because the mounting point is now 6-7in closer to the lr?

let me know whatcha think.

my drawing didnt work i will try another way.

Egoracing
12-13-2011, 07:10 PM
To far left and the car can loose all left side weight, read that as it can roll over! You REALLY want it far enough to the right that it will not touch the driveshaft in it's range of motion.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Well,

The rr axle is typically 2" longer than the left. The lift arm is mounted to the right side of the center section. How wide is the center section? If it is 4", then the lift arm would be in the center of the rear track. If it is 6", then the lift arm is 1" right of center.

Egoracing
12-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Well,

The rr axle is typically 2" longer than the left. The lift arm is mounted to the right side of the center section. How wide is the center section? If it is 4", then the lift arm would be in the center of the rear track. If it is 6", then the lift arm is 1" right of center.

BUT this is not the center of the chassis as the rear is typlcally offest to the left. The best bet is to call your chassis mfg for measurements OR pull a tape on as many friends cars as you can and you will see an average that they all fall into.

powerslide
12-14-2011, 09:02 AM
BUT this is not the center of the chassis as the rear is typlcally offest to the left. The best bet is to call your chassis mfg for measurements OR pull a tape on as many friends cars as you can and you will see an average that they all fall into.

I think ego is understanding what i am asking. I dont have any friends w/ lates in this area to measure.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-14-2011, 10:19 AM
I think ego is understanding what i am asking. I dont have any friends w/ lates in this area to measure.

I thought giving you an idea inside the "footprint" would help. Sounds to me you want to know in regards to the CG of the car. The geometric center based off the frame rails would be meaningless.