PDA

View Full Version : spring loaded trailing arm

superstock_53
12-14-2011, 04:57 PM
has anyone ever tried a spring loaded trailing arm.. seen it on e-bay heres what it describe made spring loaded adjustable rear lower trailing arm that fits ALL 78-87 G body GM cars(monte carlo, cutlass, 442, regal, el camino, grand prix, etc.). This is stock dimensions as is and the spring loaded portion allows it to flex up to 1in. shorter. I used this style arm on the left rear of my IMCA hobby stock car so the rear differential would pivot and the wheelbase would become about an inch shorter to help the car corner faster and smoother(worked soo well that at times it was pulling the left front wheel off the ground up to a foot high). There is an adjustment inside the arm to preload the spring so you can control how much and when the arm starts to move. In my past experience after I found the right setpoint for the preload of the spring I "boxed in" the lower portion by welding a piece of flat steel on the bottom so it made the arm stronger and hid the "goods" inside the arm. When installed I had the spring loaded portion of the arm facing forward on the car and the mounting point on the car frame hid the spring loaded portion of the arm from sight of the techs and others. This is a MUST HAVE for anybody running G body racecar chasis' that use stock trailing arms if they want the extra advantages that others don't have. Anybody who has been around dirt oval track racing knows that setup/handling through the corners is KEY to winning races and this arm gives a huge advantage over the competitors ;)

check it at http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-body-spring-loaded-trailing-arm-rear-control-arm-imca-usra-adjustable-race-new-/150717679913?pt=Race_Car_Parts&vxp=mtr&hash=item2317794929 what u guys think

backspace
12-14-2011, 08:31 PM
You fool,,,never give up your secrets,,NEVER!

3dracer
12-14-2011, 10:10 PM
LOL That's what I was thinking.

C10
12-14-2011, 11:05 PM
I know of a guy who was running these around here, and there seems to be something to it as they ran quite well with it. Dont know if it was the arms, or just their program but seemed to pick up some speed.

petesvoice
01-02-2012, 01:31 PM
what did you use for a spring,,,,,,,,, valve spring,,,, ?????? spring out of a pull bar, ????

C10
01-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Press spring:)

SLOWRIDE
01-04-2012, 01:16 PM
i think il just stick to true mechanical grip....

fuller3
01-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Dont think this is the trick?

SLOWRIDE
01-05-2012, 10:46 PM
it seems to be another variable to tune to,I prefer monoballs {spherical bushings} JMO....

Millr1m
01-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Roller valve spring is what we use.. With a bolt in the end to set preload..

redrooster
01-27-2012, 09:25 PM
hmmm would love to try one, but thats kinda a steep price for me, esp under the Obama admin. lol

turner
01-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Wow. I would love to race a track where these would get overlooked in tech.Must not tech to much. Wish our track was like that.

Driver88
01-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Wow. I would love to race a track where these would get overlooked in tech.Must not tech to much. Wish our track was like that.

No you don't.

sj valley dave
01-29-2012, 02:51 AM
DLM's tried these 10-15 years ago...You see how many are still using them...Zip...Does this give you an idea? LOL

prostock814
12-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Anyone personally try one of these? Interested in how it worked for you?

7uptruckracer
12-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Stay Away As the track conditions change so does your travel on these so its trying to hit a moving target

RaceMentally
12-05-2013, 05:37 PM
First off I am the guy selling the genuine proven arms for your cars. I have storing loaded and bushing set up. Another not is you cannot use a roller valve spring. Why? Well it's the LS motor that can go into the 600s and that is not enough. Second the OD is too big and noticeable. You'll need some 2" tubes and easy to catch. Third the travel is not even an inch and the goes solid and instant loss of traction. Fourth they have to work in certain directions. I've been using these for a long time. Only one spring manufactures can make the springs needed for size and rate. Guess what I'm that guy. So message me for the USA made go fast parts. I also have bushing that work really well for side bite and drive. $50 each.

RaceMentally
12-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Also the one pictured is for the left lower so if you're running any type of angle you will LOSE DRIVE! This will also loosen car on throttle and tighten off. Afco had a spring rod out that was used in asphalt cars for a while but we found BETTER ways to control this. Great idea but it is not the BEST route. Again I have bushings about 3 weeks out that are OEM replacement and you can change to different durometers. 30-50-70 30/90/30 for lowers.

Driver50x
12-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Tell us O'Great One.......You are the only man in the world who can create springs that work "in certain directions".What direction do all other springs work in?

RaceMentally
12-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Tell us O'Great One.......You are the only man in the world who can create springs that work "in certain directions".What direction do all other springs work in?Sorry driver50x I didn't specify that you can't find a company without spending a fortune on set up costs, mass production, and the machine capable of producing a high rate spring that is needed and the smallest OD needed along with travel. It's not out there unless you plan on dropping a few thousand in set up costs and mass production.

Driver50x
12-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Ok, got it. The setup costs are high. You did not answer my question though. This feels a lot like watching "The Wizard of Oz". lol

RaceMentally
12-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Ok, got it. The setup costs are high. You did not answer my question though. This feels a lot like watching "The Wizard of Oz". lolWe're compressing springs not extending them.

dirty white boy
12-07-2013, 09:45 PM
sounds like dynoman's second 3rd cuzion....

....are these springs specially treated???

Racer96m
12-11-2013, 04:19 PM
This sounds like a late night infomercial for the new Ronco control arms. But wait thats not all, if you order right now Ill throw in the steak knives to the first 100 callers. DONT get sucked in by this. There is no magic part that makes you win. Trust me I know.

Dave

RaceMentally
12-12-2013, 05:23 AM
This sounds like a late night infomercial for the new Ronco control arms. But wait thats not all, if you order right now Ill throw in the steak knives to the first 100 callers. DONT get sucked in by this. There is no magic part that makes you win. Trust me I know.DaveSo what kind of combo were you running in the rears?

glover11
12-12-2013, 01:26 PM
So what kind of combo were you running in the rears? whatever it was it didnt hold together in 2012 at kankakee when his boy rolled down the front straight away because his rear lower control arm decided to go south. just glad he wasnt hurt

RaceMentally
12-12-2013, 04:49 PM
whatever it was it didnt hold together in 2012 at kankakee when his boy rolled down the front straight away because his rear lower control arm decided to go south. just glad he wasnt hurt(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) magic part disappeared. Gotta have those links to go round and round. If they disappear you're not going to like it.

7uptruckracer
12-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Lets not be fooled by anything and stick to the facts. ANY spring loaded arm unless its a top link on a three link isn't isn't designed to absorb thrust its a metric 4 link. The INTENT just like it would be on a 3 Link RR or LR training arm is to take the load compress and Change the Trail of the rear end THUS tightening the car. If you want to change your wheel loadings use the spring especially on the RR its a lot more consistent change, and the stock metric cars already have a high rear roll center so you need to run the softer RR anyways its a stock class don't go spend your money on something that will get you in trouble. Run good link bushings that don't break apart or bind work with your angles if you can adjust them and focus on your car not some trick and definitely don't compromise your safety a trip to the hospital is going to cost many times more then some trick part that might break. Spring Loaded trailing arms are built to control wheelbase period

RaceMentally
12-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Lets not be fooled by anything and stick to the facts. ANY spring loaded arm unless its a top link on a three link isn't isn't designed to absorb thrust its a metric 4 link. The INTENT just like it would be on a 3 Link RR or LR training arm is to take the load compress and Change the Trail of the rear end THUS tightening the car. If you want to change your wheel loadings use the spring especially on the RR its a lot more consistent change, and the stock metric cars already have a high rear roll center so you need to run the softer RR anyways its a stock class don't go spend your money on something that will get you in trouble. Run good link bushings that don't break apart or bind work with your angles if you can adjust them and focus on your car not some trick and definitely don't compromise your safety a trip to the hospital is going to cost many times more then some trick part that might break. Spring Loaded trailing arms are built to control wheelbase periodI agree with everything said about the lowers which controls wheelbase. Essentially the rr is where we would want to place the loaded arm to tighten car on throttle and loosen off. But loaded uppers also does something. It absorbs energy to the rear and promotes traction. L upper we ran loaded with soft bushings on r upper

7uptruckracer
12-16-2013, 07:36 AM
While this can be true anyone who works on multiple kinds of car has to take into consideration HOW they are loading their wheels. In asphalt or dirt you load the tires either through the springs or through the bars you can't really do both. If your trying to use antisquat in the rear the car will be hiking away from your springs and your not loading your car with springs if your not hiking like most super streets with stock suspension do your loading primairly through your springs. ANYTHING that absorbs torque is taking away potential drive there is a point no matter what the LR to RR balance is where you have way to much torque and you will never hook it up with the tires before you try "trick" pieces see if you cant load it up on regular parts. Adjust springs to balance your load across the rear tires first.

RaceMentally
12-16-2013, 12:05 PM
While this can be true anyone who works on multiple kinds of car has to take into consideration HOW they are loading their wheels. In asphalt or dirt you load the tires either through the springs or through the bars you can't really do both. If your trying to use antisquat in the rear the car will be hiking away from your springs and your not loading your car with springs if your not hiking like most super streets with stock suspension do your loading primairly through your springs. ANYTHING that absorbs torque is taking away potential drive there is a point no matter what the LR to RR balance is where you have way to much torque and you will never hook it up with the tires before you try "trick" pieces see if you cant load it up on regular parts. Adjust springs to balance your load across the rear tires first.Energy absorbing components is mechanical traction control. On dirt it does wonders.

a1driver
12-16-2013, 12:50 PM
where are the links to pics of some of these parts?

7uptruckracer
12-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Yeah and if you put a 650 spring on a torque you can slam the pedal to the floor and watch them pull away.....If you can hook it up without it its a no brainer it tells you in the name it absorbs torque so if your that worried why not just build a motor with less torque find a way to hook up what you have and use all the torque you have. Something that is going to change your anti-or pro squat and effect the way your loading the car as the conditions change is going to be like hitting a moving target been there done that good parts for EBAY

RaceMentally
12-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Yeah and if you put a 650 spring on a torque you can slam the pedal to the floor and watch them pull away.....If you can hook it up without it its a no brainer it tells you in the name it absorbs torque so if your that worried why not just build a motor with less torque find a way to hook up what you have and use all the torque you have. Something that is going to change your anti-or pro squat and effect the way your loading the car as the conditions change is going to be like hitting a moving target been there done that good parts for EBAYExactly why dirt modifieds run solid top links right?

7uptruckracer
12-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Your talking 200-250 more HP on a driveline that's more efficient to get it to the rear tires of a super street so yeah you might need some assistance

RaceMentally
12-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Your talking 200-250 more HP on a driveline that's more efficient to get it to the rear tires of a super street so yeah you might need some assistance 400hp crate motors run them...

a1driver
12-17-2013, 07:43 PM
pictures? of the components you are selling? pictures?

Racer96m
12-18-2013, 10:48 AM
whatever it was it didnt hold together in 2012 at kankakee when his boy rolled down the front straight away because his rear lower control arm decided to go south. just glad he wasnt hurt

What was I running? Stock trailing arms just like the rules stated. To say I was one of the most highly teched cars was an understatement. And Yes the left lower stock trailing arm broke on the forward side where it gets thin and goes around the bushing. The bolt and bushing were still in the chassis. The car flipped 5 times down the front stretch at K3 at over 90mph. The car was destroyed. I totally rebuilt the car in 2 weeks, new front end, new rear, new Halo etc, etc, etc. Set it up the same as always and went out and won the very next race in dominating fashion. So do I know what Im doing?? I guess the results speak for themselves. So everyone go buy the super spring rod, it will make you faster! LOL After you buy that, I got an old front end to sell you off a National Championship Car and a free set of steak knives to the first caller!

Dave

glover11
12-18-2013, 11:41 AM
relax dave. Dont get your pantys in a bunch. I carry a tarp with me too when i dont want wondering eyes to see what im doing with my STOCK suspension. Got to give you guys props though, you have out smarted everyone that plays the game. Nobody is saying you dont know what your doing, as you guys had the fastest SS around. Sorry already got the free steak knives LOL

Racer96m
12-18-2013, 12:37 PM
relax dave. Dont get your pantys in a bunch. I carry a tarp with me too when i dont want wondering eyes to see what im doing with my STOCK suspension. Got to give you guys props though, you have out smarted everyone that plays the game. Nobody is saying you dont know what your doing, as you guys had the fastest SS around. Sorry already got the free steak knives LOL

I thought the tarp was a great Idea! 100 people came running over to get there facebook post, but I covered it up to add to the mystery! LOL. Why dont you mention the night I had the torpedo heater on my back tires and went from 12th to the lead in 3 laps! I miss those Street Stocks sure had a lot of fun with them. These Modified guys take this stuff way to seriously!

Dave

koltveitracing67
12-18-2013, 12:43 PM

I never once saw Dave with a tarp. As a mater of fact Dave always answered my questions with staight forward answers that made sense,even though I was a competitor. Out smarted everyone,maybe,out worked everyone is more like it.

glover11
12-18-2013, 04:59 PM
To each his own i guess. So some people carry tarps for different reasons than others. I only use mine when Im trying to cover up my bone STOCK suspension too. LOL Was that at lasalle when you went from 12 to the lead and got BUSTED with that BRINN ? Come on man everyone cheats a little, its just when someone says there car is stock when people know its not. If people want to run spring loaded controls let em.

streetstock08
12-20-2013, 09:12 PM
would like to know more bout this n how much

zeroracing
12-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Going from 12 to lead would take more than just a brinn, might take a well set up car and great driver... Brinns don't navigate traffic. Also who cares if somebody wants to tarp their car, stock or illegal, it's non of any bodies business what somebody has on their car as long as it passes the tech shed. Much of the purpose of tapping is mind games, and seems to be working with people getting on here and complaining. Once somebody gets in your head that they are cheating and you can't beat them legally they have a huge mental upper hand. Best racing advice ever is stop worrying about what others are doing and if their cars are legal, that's out of your control, only focus on yourself.

glover11
12-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Going from 12 to lead would take more than just a brinn, might take a well set up car and great driver... Brinns don't navigate traffic. Also who cares if somebody wants to tarp their car, stock or illegal, it's non of any bodies business what somebody has on their car as long as it passes the tech shed. Much of the purpose of tapping is mind games, and seems to be working with people getting on here and complaining. Once somebody gets in your head that they are cheating and you can't beat them legally they have a huge mental upper hand. Best racing advice ever is stop worrying about what others are doing and if their cars are legal, that's out of your control, only focus on yourself. never said it took a brinn to go from 12 to 1st. dave knows what im talking about. if you wasnt up at lasalle then you have no idea what happened up there. i love head games as much as anybody else. like i said before they were on top of there game! kudos to them. and great advice zeroracing ill stay focused on our car. again thanks for letting me know what it takes to go from 12 to 1st and to carry a tarp to get in to peoples heads. much appreciated. again this thread was about spring loaded control arms, run them guys if you think it might help. everybody and i mean everybody is always looking for an edge.

Racer96m
12-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Dan, Not sure how this thread turned into what I did years ago, as you know, we are no longer in the SS class, but I guess the point I was trying to make about this spring rod wasn't clear. The point I was trying to make was I don't think this rod will help anything on a stock metric 4 link. All I think it will accomplish is create a bind in the suspension which is exactly what you don't want. The "W" Layout of the trailing arms doesn't like to be messed with or it will just bind up and cause handling problems. Now if you could straighten the lower arms and run a single upper pull bar, then ya, that wont bund up. But like you said, if people want to try it, knock your self out. Merry Christmas.

Dave

LITE-INN
12-22-2013, 02:19 PM
ok, got it. The setup costs are high. You did not answer my question though. This feels a lot like watching "the wizard of oz". Lolthere is no place like home no place like home

glover11
12-22-2013, 11:55 PM
Well noted Dave well noted........