PDA

View Full Version : Which roof is better?

grasshopper
12-22-2011, 07:28 AM
What is the advantage or disadvantage of a figerglass roof vs a sheetmetal roof? Or is there one?

grasshopper
12-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Well would ya'll much rather have a fiberglass roof or sheet metal roof? someone has a opinion.

fox1162002
12-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Fiberglass is alot safer than aluminum. I got up on the wall one night and caught the caution light in the roof right above my helmet it pretty much saved my but from a broke neck. I always imagine what would of happened if it were aluminum. I still have it up on the shop wall to show people why I would never use aluminum.

bacfire1
12-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Fiberglass is the way to,the we had is 5 years old and nothing wrong with it.Alumimim or plastic roofs will have cracks after only a dozen or so races.

latemodel86
12-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Fiberglass is obviously stronger and has less cracks and scratches

FlatTire
12-29-2011, 11:00 AM
I got upside down twice this year with the same Dominator Plastic roof and it stayed intact. Nothing wrong with it other than some scuff marks from the concrete wall. An aluminum roof would have been wadded up both times.

I always got tired of my aluminum roofs cracking and scratching. The only advantages I see to the aluminum roof is its quite a bit lighter, cheaper, and you can shape/size it any way you want if you want to cheat the rules.

Now don't ask me how somebody gets a late model upside down 2 races in a row! I'm still wondering too.

pmiracing
01-03-2012, 04:25 PM
I thought the fiberglass and plastic roofs would be great (no cracks, replacing it every year) until I used them. It seems if your roof posts/sail panels are built too stiff they will break in the first wreck that moves the door up or down. I think if you are going to use one you need to build the roof posts/sail panels kinda flimsy as a crush zone. I like to bend a 90deg. lip and hem both edges on the posts and sails and apparently they are too stiff. The dominator roof broke about a 3" x 6" chunk out of the right front corner the first time I bent the door in. I think I will go back to aluminum and just replace it every year.

Egoracing
01-03-2012, 05:34 PM
I thought the fiberglass and plastic roofs would be great (no cracks, replacing it every year) until I used them. It seems if your roof posts/sail panels are built too stiff they will break in the first wreck that moves the door up or down. I think if you are going to use one you need to build the roof posts/sail panels kinda flimsy as a crush zone. I like to bend a 90deg. lip and hem both edges on the posts and sails and apparently they are too stiff. The dominator roof broke about a 3" x 6" chunk out of the right front corner the first time I bent the door in. I think I will go back to aluminum and just replace it every year.

We do that also and have one roof has been on the car for 6 years now.

nikk
01-03-2012, 07:28 PM
I think in the event of a fire I would rather have aluminum.

BDR40
01-07-2012, 08:00 AM
We've ran Dominator roofs since before they were available tot he public and only once have we had one break, and that was due to a large rock hitting it... We just took some PVC cleaner, primer, and glue and glued it back together... That was four years ago and that very same roof is still being used.

roofing06
02-07-2012, 04:14 AM
I'm glad it was helpful. Thanks for sharing such a great post!