PDA

View Full Version : LR shock...again

dfhotlm33c
12-23-2011, 10:56 AM
ok...I have searched every thread on this site concerning LR shocks, trying to get a concensus...

I'm trying to map out parts to purchase for next season, and new rear shocks are on the list (And I'm on a budget), so I'm looking to determine the best possible setup that will encompass as many scenarios as possible.

I am currently running in the back:
250 LR on 94 shock behind, with dummy in front
225 RR on 94.

Going to go with 200LR, 225RR to start off next season, based on the general concensus..even though it contradicts current setup sheets from both GRT and Mastersbilt..and that I was lacking forward drive last year...

I have a Pro 94/0.5 shock for LR I can use as well, and was considering the purchase of two new rear shocks..was going to go Afco 93/5 for RR...but need to know what to do about LR:

Run new 96-2 Afco in coil-over with dummy up front
Run 96-2 up front with Dummy in back
Run 96-2 in coil over with 94/0.5 up front
Reverse of the above.

Is 96-2 a good all around choice? How much of a difference in drive will I see from any of the above choice? Any other suggestions? Just looking for the best "bang for the buck" for my purchase..the track is a 3/8 mile "D" shape (ish)...decent traction, but does go dry slick when its hot..

Thanks

CHUMBA
12-23-2011, 01:04 PM
What do you have on fronts now? and what problem are you trying to correct? different shocks do different things. and generaly they need to work together, and the set up you are trying to run. Thats why most responces will tell you get a hold of a shock guy and work it out. shocks cost money and buying one over an another because someone says this one is best with out knowing where your at and where you are trying to go will just waste your money,

poppy
12-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Again, if you are going to a 200 why not a 133 stacked spring. Think of how a jack in the box works with each spring.

dfhotlm33c
12-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Fronts...Afco double adjustable RF set at 3/8 (400 spring), LF MB1 Pro shock (500 spring) (approx 4.5 c/r).

Looking to achieve better forward drive..don't have $1,500 for set of Ohlins or Integra or other shock package...I know guys do well with Afco shocks...and I know 6/2 seems to be a common ratio based on different posts over the past few years (I really searched through all of them). I am just curious about the reasoning for different combinations, and what I should expect from each combo...and perhaps what would achieve decent results over my current setup....I am aware of the results that can be achieved from specialized shock analysis, etc...I am not out to win any races..I am simply looking to progress from a beginner setup that allowed me to learn the basics of driving and feel to a slightly more advanced setup that could move me up the ladder slightly...and perhaps hear the justification behind the plethora of different setups that are being used..from gas traction shocks and others to the setups I have mentioned...I am on a budget, with no sponsorship..and am lining up a variety of improvements for next season...just looking for opinions...

Dirt Man
12-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Fronts...Afco double adjustable RF set at 3/8 (400 spring), LF MB1 Pro shock (500 spring) (approx 4.5 c/r).

Looking to achieve better forward drive..don't have $1,500 for set of Ohlins or Integra or other shock package...I know guys do well with Afco shocks...and I know 6/2 seems to be a common ratio based on different posts over the past few years (I really searched through all of them). I am just curious about the reasoning for different combinations, and what I should expect from each combo...and perhaps what would achieve decent results over my current setup....I am aware of the results that can be achieved from specialized shock analysis, etc...I am not out to win any races..I am simply looking to progress from a beginner setup that allowed me to learn the basics of driving and feel to a slightly more advanced setup that could move me up the ladder slightly...and perhaps hear the justification behind the plethora of different setups that are being used..from gas traction shocks and others to the setups I have mentioned...I am on a budget, with no sponsorship..and am lining up a variety of improvements for next season...just looking for opinions...

Check your PM's

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-23-2011, 07:29 PM
If you are going to run 2 twin tube shocks, I would use a 6-0 on the lr front. Then use your rear shock to adjust the car.

fox1162002
12-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Id use a afco 9/0 in lrfront with a 3 in the back. Helps keep the car rocked up.

charcoal01
12-25-2011, 10:09 AM
If using a 9/0 in the front be careful not to use a very high gas pressure (if you're not using a twin tube) in the slick as it's a quick way to develop a four wheel skate on entry. They work great to get the car to turn in on entry if your at a track that stays pretty tractioned up.

In a mod (diff cars but same concept) it feels like the 7-3 6-2 shocks work well if you like to set the car early and drive trough the corner on the gas. Straight rates 4-4 or even 6-4 seem to suit guys who drive towards the center of the apex on the gas deeper into the corner and then turn the car.

As guys have said before, it really just depends on how you like to drive the car and what you want it to feel like, as far as shock selection goes. Do you have any fellow racers who might let you borrow a shock or two for practice or a race so you can experiment before you buy? A lot of guys have probably bought shocks you're lookin at trying, didn't like them and now they're stuck in a drawer in their trailer.