PDA

View Full Version : New MB spindles?

11jcr51
01-03-2012, 02:47 PM
We've been running the old style mastersbilt front suspension for years now (mostly due to large quantity in shop) and were about to run out. what is the advantage of the S7 spindles compared to the previous ones? or what is the main difference?
thanks

hucktyson
01-03-2012, 03:13 PM
We've been running the old style mastersbilt front suspension for years now (mostly due to large quantity in shop) and were about to run out. what is the advantage of the S7 spindles compared to the previous ones? or what is the main difference?
thanks

The spindle snout is moved down closer to the lower balljoint giving the car a higer rideheigth and more ground clearance without actually changing the ride heights

SLM98
01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Also more kingpin angle

11jcr51
01-03-2012, 04:19 PM
The spindle snout is moved down closer to the lower balljoint giving the car a higer rideheigth and more ground clearance without actually changing the ride heights

So how does this help me? allows more travel?

SLM98
01-03-2012, 09:26 PM
You also run a different ride ht 3 1/2", the car is up in the front a little and the a-frame angle is slightly different.

35racing
01-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Is it as easy as just changing spindles or is there other changes to be made?

SLM98
01-05-2012, 08:56 AM
The S7 kit is a 18 5/8 RF Lower and a 8 1/4 RF Upper, the LF upper and lowers are the same lenth as before and the S7 spindles.

Matt49
01-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Another "option" when you get the S7 is to have them put new upper a-frame supports on the left side. With the old smack design, you had to run a split upper control arm and mount it inboard. The new a-frame supports are arched in allowing you to mount the upper control arm outboard which allows you to run a screw-in ball joint (which I prefer). As previously mentioned, the left side arm lengths are the same. It is the right side that changed with the S7.
Warning: if you run your power steering pump up front, you will run into clearance issues with the new a-frame support and you may need to do some creative plumbing.
They'll send you the pieces if you want to do it yourself but we had them put it on the jig to be safe when we did ours.
With regards to the S7 in general, I'll say this: I found the car to be much more consistent and "drivable" in the center of the corner with the S7. It just felt like it reacted better to steering input and allowed me to be smoother from the center off. I've heard others tell me they noticed no difference whatsoever but I liked it.
For what it's worth, we bent a spindle one night last year and had to borrow an old style spindle at the track. We reset the ride height on that side to the old setting knowing that the spindle made a difference and just hoped for the best. The car was junk the rest of the night. There's a lot more to front end geometry than most people realize.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Another "option" when you get the S7 is to have them put new upper a-frame supports on the left side. With the old smack design, you had to run a split upper control arm and mount it inboard. The new a-frame supports are arched in allowing you to mount the upper control arm outboard which allows you to run a screw-in ball joint (which I prefer). As previously mentioned, the left side arm lengths are the same. It is the right side that changed with the S7.
Warning: if you run your power steering pump up front, you will run into clearance issues with the new a-frame support and you may need to do some creative plumbing.
They'll send you the pieces if you want to do it yourself but we had them put it on the jig to be safe when we did ours.
With regards to the S7 in general, I'll say this: I found the car to be much more consistent and "drivable" in the center of the corner with the S7. It just felt like it reacted better to steering input and allowed me to be smoother from the center off. I've heard others tell me they noticed no difference whatsoever but I liked it.
For what it's worth, we bent a spindle one night last year and had to borrow an old style spindle at the track. We reset the ride height on that side to the old setting knowing that the spindle made a difference and just hoped for the best. The car was junk the rest of the night. There's a lot more to front end geometry than most people realize.

Did you maintain frame height or ride height? You were screwed either way.