PDA

View Full Version : Quick Change side bell question

merc123
01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
How do you know if the one you have will work?

I've got a Jones quick change (supposedly interchanges with Frankland) and someone gave me a Winters side bell to see if it'll work. I test fitted it and slides on fine and holes line up fine. How do I know if it is actually right? Is there anything to look for with side play on the spool/ring gear or anything like that? Thanks!

racin6mod
01-05-2012, 06:08 PM
measure from the bearing race to the mounting area the depth of the bell is wear the differance would be.I have put jones bells on a franland you'll most likely have to adjust the shim pack behind the bearing race to set the backlash for the ring gear.

clm15
01-05-2012, 06:54 PM
I have put Winters bells on the Jones. When checking the backlash,try to get the bells and center section up to room temp. they expand a lot more then you think. If its summer time, no big deal,but a cold garage could get you into trouble this summer.

Look at the spool real good, (If you are using the old one.) Nows the time to change it.Late Models are hard on aluminum spools. A striped axle spline always happens at the worst times.lol

merc123
01-11-2012, 06:53 PM
I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks.

merc123
01-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Well I couldn't figure out a good way to measure the bearing race depth so what I did was put the spool into the tube and took a straightedge and laid it across the back of the ring gear. The measurement from mount depth to the straight edge was almost exact...so close that it didn't measure over 1/10th of a millimeter. both were 109.2mm I alwso kept the straight edge in the exact same spot when switching between the two bells. Think it'll work that way?