PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

2rs
01-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I see alot of cars having tear drop fuel cells in them again, so i'll ask you all which is better the tear drop cells or the square cells, or hell there mite be something way better then the both of them!

dfhotlm33c
01-06-2012, 08:10 AM
The theory is:

rectangular, smaller fuel cells allow for relocation of the cell for easy weight distribution changes. You can move a significant amount of weight to the right or left depending on what you need at the given time based on track conditions (There are debates about what direction works better...putting it on the left for a longer race isn't always the best idea because you end up losing weight over the LR as the race goes on, which can loosen the car up on exit at a bad time, but likewise putting it on the right for a longer race can cause an issue in reduction of side bite and thus loosen entry later in the race.. )

teardrop fuel cells centered in the rear allow more of the fuel weight to be placed closer to the axle, which reduces pendulum effect of weight placed too far behind the axle. In addition, the evenly spread weight will allow for uniform weight loss across the rear during a longer race where fuel burn off can affect handling...

hope that helps

SLM98
01-06-2012, 08:44 AM
How about taking a rectangular cell and turn it sideways, anybody done that?

dfhotlm33c
01-06-2012, 09:38 AM
old school late models had those....our old car was a mid-90's monoleaf car, and it had a rectangular cell spread across the back...

lovinlatemodels
01-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I see some cars doing that again turning them sideway. I run mine long ways center of the car no weight loss on left or right with fuel burn off just rear %. Now if you want to get something closer to the rear and less swinging weight call Swartz he has been taking a 22 gal cell and standing it on end moving weight foward which also helps with fuel pick up in a smaller area. And is alot cheaper the the bloomquist cell or the one's in rocket and barry wright.

hpmaster
01-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Take a 16 gallon cell mount it all the way forward to rear axle center line and center in car, up all the way up to decking. Works well in all races 30 laps or less. Use lead to get %s. Maintains left side % better and location helps side bite and lowers swing weight drasticly, helping car turn. JMHO

sj valley dave
01-06-2012, 03:06 PM
We have a 16 gallon cell sideways up toward the rear axle and it does help with keeping the % constant throughout the race. Almost all of our mains are 30-40 lap races and we're on race gas, so we have no fuel issues...

SLM98
01-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Are you still running foam in the cells or at least something to slow down the slosh.

F22 RAPTOR
01-07-2012, 03:23 PM
How about taking a rectangular cell and turn it sideways, anybody done that?

Walter Newman Race Cars, Augusta GA have in the past.

Lincoln Highway Bullitt
01-07-2012, 04:19 PM
I put a sprint car fuel cell in my car. It is a lot cheaper then the new styles they are going with to keep the fuel foward in the chassis. You can pick a used one up at a flea mart for $100. If I can figure out how to post a picture of it I will.

2rs
01-20-2012, 10:59 PM
The theory is:

rectangular, smaller fuel cells allow for relocation of the cell for easy weight distribution changes. You can move a significant amount of weight to the right or left depending on what you need at the given time based on track conditions (There are debates about what direction works better...putting it on the left for a longer race isn't always the best idea because you end up losing weight over the LR as the race goes on, which can loosen the car up on exit at a bad time, but likewise putting it on the right for a longer race can cause an issue in reduction of side bite and thus loosen entry later in the race.. )

teardrop fuel cells centered in the rear allow more of the fuel weight to be placed closer to the axle, which reduces pendulum effect of weight placed too far behind the axle. In addition, the evenly spread weight will allow for uniform weight loss across the rear during a longer race where fuel burn off can affect handling...

hope that helpsThanks it did.