PDA

View Full Version : Bbc

17GZ
01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm considering having a big block chevy built for my late model. My engine builder is a huge fan of big blocks. I'm not sure if the extra weight will hurt the handling too much. Anyone run a bbc in there car?

mab475
01-07-2012, 12:39 AM
A couple thing to consider. #1 will it fit in your car? Also your gonna want to make spacers for your mid plate to take advantage of engine setback and get more of the weight behind the center line of the front suspension. The reason I say fit is because I know somebody that had both a gen x and a rayburn and it wouldn't fit in the gen x

Graff Spee
01-08-2012, 12:16 AM
I know a guy who ran a Zobel Scurve car years ago. He ran a aluminum BBC and had nothing but trouble with it. It had alot of universals in the steering shaft and headers were hard to get. But everyone used to run them in the 1970 and 1980's pretty much. I wouldnt do it but it would be pretty cool! Post pictures if you do it.

hpmaster
01-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Not to sound stupid but why? Just because an engine builder wants to isn't a big reason to me. Weight and placement is always a big concern and with the torque and horsepower numbers from the more typical powerplants with less weight it seems to get me back to why real fast.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Not to sound stupid but why? Just because an engine builder wants to isn't a big reason to me. Weight and placement is always a big concern and with the torque and horsepower numbers from the more typical powerplants with less weight it seems to get me back to why real fast.

I agree 100%.

sj valley dave
01-08-2012, 04:49 PM
I also agree with MB. Why? You can get more hp than you can hook up with a SBC and you do not have a 65 lb crank that you're having to spin up....People ran flat heads in the 50's, the fast guys were on 23* heads in the 80's, things change, why mess with it and all the headaches?? IMO

dualdj1
01-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah, small block is the way to go. If you want more torque, build a big displacement small block, 420/430/etc. weight savings, availability of spare parts, on and on, many reasons to stick with small block.

hpmaster
01-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Yeah, small block is the way to go. If you want more torque, build a big displacement small block, 420/430/etc. weight savings, availability of spare parts, on and on, many reasons to stick with small block.

I agree. Find a good dirt motor builder who can tell you what he can do with certain sbc heads and a ballpark price for the motor. I would look around and find the best set of good used heads you can afford. An honest guy will let you get them checked out before you lay out the bucks. I run 415 inch 18 degree Brodix motors and wet sumps. Truth is I can run ok if I set up the car right and by July it's so dry slick I can't use over 200 of the 690hp anyways. I get them freshened at 1300 laps and change plugs every 10 nights. No I aint a big boy but every once in a while I surprise them big boys.

Graff Spee
09-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Put that BBC in a Vintage car and go have some fun!

racer69
09-25-2012, 09:20 PM
I agree with the above! Huge inch SBCs can be built now days and tons lighter. But here is the biggie unless you just hit the lotto.......Price a true mean sbc...then price a BBC that will keep up with it!

F22 RAPTOR
01-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Edge engines experimented with a BBC last year at Port Royal I believe. That big Dude made more than 1000HP!!! Now having said that I see the Pro's and Con's, the weight and cost issues, but I wonder if a big cube BBC might live longer at less RPM than a wilder SBC??? Maybe more expense up front for the BBC, but maybe over the lifetime could be a savings with longevity. May not need to build a 1000 HP, but just enough to strike a balance. That Edge built engine car won a few races too. So maybe something to at least look at. JMO

racer1355inpa
01-02-2013, 08:11 AM
I saw that big block run at Port Royal against other very high end small block cars and they couldn't keep up with it. That thing was wicked fast down the staights. Still agree though, small block would be the way to go 99% of the time.

F22 RAPTOR
01-02-2013, 10:44 AM
I saw that big block run at Port Royal against other very high end small block cars and they couldn't keep up with it. That thing was wicked fast down the staights. Still agree though, small block would be the way to go 99% of the time.

What sort of track is Port Royal? Are there any videos on youtube of the BBC car running? Whose car was it in? Thanks

racer1355inpa
01-02-2013, 11:47 AM
What sort of track is Port Royal? Are there any videos on youtube of the BBC car running? Whose car was it in? Thanks

Port is a high banked 1/2 mile clay oval in PA. I don't know of any videos and not sure of the driver and car owners name.

MQueen
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
I have ran them on and off for years. Now if I was building both all aluminum brand new I would go with the sbc. The reason I always used them was cost, I could put 3k in a big block and keep up with 75% of the big dollar engines. And just like F22 mentioned I would only turn them 7k rpm to make them live. The bbc loves to eat valve's so if you would decide to try it keep cam lift below .700" and replace valve's and springs around 750 laps.

cesco
01-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Call Chris at Edge Racing Engines (814) 525-1355. He'll tell ya what you need to know. Chris and Stacy are good people they will help you out with whatever you need.

If I remember correctly there are videos on youtube of Gary Beward from Port Royal but I can't remember. Here is the Dyno run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2JEOyUI0zU

I believe Ed Powell bas been putting these in his car for Beward.

perfconn
01-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Always somebody trying to reinvent the wheel.When you think you have a brilliant idea,pause and ask yourself why Bloomquist,Owens,Lanigan,O'neal or anybody else isn't running your idea.

pajamie
01-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Edge engines experimented with a BBC last year at Port Royal I believe. That big Dude made more than 1000HP!!! Now having said that I see the Pro's and Con's, the weight and cost issues, but I wonder if a big cube BBC might live longer at less RPM than a wilder SBC??? Maybe more expense up front for the BBC, but maybe over the lifetime could be a savings with longevity. May not need to build a 1000 HP, but just enough to strike a balance. That Edge built engine car won a few races too. So maybe something to at least look at. JMO

I dont remember that car winning any races.. Ed Powell owned it.. Drivers who ran it said it was a waste of money.. They couldnt control it.. It totally unhooked the car.. If they left off the gas it took forever to get going again cause it bogged down so much.. It made the car so undrivable under braking the drivers hated it.. Steve Campbell was the last one I heard who ran it and he totally hated it for all the above issues...

Stick with a small block and save yourself a bunch of headaches..

dualdj1
01-02-2013, 03:03 PM
I dont remember that car winning any races.. Ed Powell owned it.. Drivers who ran it said it was a waste of money.. They couldnt control it.. It totally unhooked the car.. If they left off the gas it took forever to get going again cause it bogged down so much.. It made the car so undrivable under braking the drivers hated it.. Steve Campbell was the last one I heard who ran it and he totally hated it for all the above issues...

same as everything else, has to have a good powerband. If it's really peaky, then tough to control. I'm not saying a big block couldn't be made to work, but because of the nature of the design, it starts off at a disadvantage.

pajamie
01-03-2013, 10:22 AM
i know the carb sitting on that thing was huge.. still think it was a waste of money and time for a track that you have to lift getting into the turns and gets real dry and slick during the summer months.. We ran the last 5 races up there with a 410 and finished 2nd in the 3 States Flyers race with that motor.. Just shows ya that bigger isnt always better in most cases..

F22 RAPTOR
01-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Always somebody trying to reinvent the wheel.When you think you have a brilliant idea,pause and ask yourself why Bloomquist,Owens,Lanigan,O'neal or anybody else isn't running your idea.

I'm sure their budgets are such that they can afford to take an SBC/SBF/SBD to its extreme and maintain it at that level of performance. From a strictly power stand point you probably don't need 1000HP+, but there are other possibilities to consider. Everyone is in a different place financially and the rebuild costs on a an SBC can get pretty steep, so maybe giving a BBC a look or considering a package that might not require as many rebuilds isn't so crazy. Its not reinventing the wheel, its finding a wheel you can afford to run and suits your individual needs best.

perfconn
01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
I never said my logic was to do what you see others doing.If your so stupid that you think your smarter than some of the winningest drivers ever then go ahead and build a bb chevy and see how heavy and expensive they are.
Small blocks have been around since 1955 and the big blocks have been around since 1965 and if you think you have ideas that nobody else has ever had then it shows how stupid you really are.

parrot69777
01-06-2013, 02:23 PM
People ran BBC's back in the day because they didn't have all the nice aftermarket goodies they have today. 450+ cu in out of a SBC wasn't even a thought 30 years ago.

Personally.....I would rather work with future technology than go back in the past. Some of the LS style engines look fun to play with.

fast_crew
01-06-2013, 02:39 PM

The car indeed won a few races that year, not sure how many with the BB. I watched from turn 4 one of the nights it won with the BB, I heard they had some issues with weight balance and the car pushing the nose, along with some carb issues, but it seemed like they had gotten it figured out. I asked Chris once about the weight and he said with some more lightening and alum/Ti bolts it couldv'e been abit lighter. Edges BB wasn't even hardly a mild build, 11.5:1cr or so IIRC, mild cam etc, for around $35,000 IIRC. Chris's shop is less than 10 miles from me. There was talks of some of the big teams running them at WVMS or some other big track. Keep in mind there are a ton of BB's out there on the dirt every week in the Modifieds.

4bangerhotrod
01-06-2013, 03:04 PM
steve francis drove a bbc at wvms for tim logan, an tims son ran it a few times when he first started driving. i think it was a russell baker engine

F22 RAPTOR
01-06-2013, 11:24 PM
I never said my logic was to do what you see others doing.If your so stupid that you think your smarter than some of the winningest drivers ever then go ahead and build a bb chevy and see how heavy and expensive they are.
Small blocks have been around since 1955 and the big blocks have been around since 1965 and if you think you have ideas that nobody else has ever had then it shows how stupid you really are.
Wow, glad I never bought from you. Someone disagrees with you and you revert to name calling. I'm fully aware of how long and when each Chevrolet design debuted, but that makes no difference to this discussion, neither were built all aluminum at that time and a lot of advancements in part quality and testing has been done since then. Look if you make all your decisions strictly on what others are doing, wonderful, I'm glad that makes you feel comfortable and safe. All I'm saying is "maybe" a BBC is worth a look... 4 link suspension was a flop when it first came out and a lot of people went back to leaf spring setups and others. A few who believed something of benefit might still be had with the 4 link kept working at it and now 90-95% of all DLM's are 4 link.

"Those who say something can't be done are often interrupted by those doing it."

Sounds an awful lot like, "When you think you have an idea, stop and remember if these guys aren't doing it, then you probably shouldn't because they're smarter..." Maybe you don't realize how you sound, I dunno. I understand why these guys don't run BBC, its heavier than an SBC and they have the resources to buy the best of the best, be as light as possible, but not everybody does. All I'm saying and I think a few others is that you can get the same kinda power the big guys have in a more durable, longer lasting package. Sure its heavier and you most likely won't need 1000HP, but perhaps a balance could be struck that's workable. We all get it, you don't like it, you think its idiotic and since the big names aren't doing it, it therefore must be a bad idea. Fine, have a great 2013.

Having said all that I like the CT525 as an option for weekly DLM's too, but some series like the SAS have already made rule changes that kill the chances for that combination to win anymore, by taking away the lower weight advantage.

50j
01-07-2013, 04:09 PM
I don't think there's any reason why it couldn't work if the engine weight is close or if it's positioned right, built to be smooth and easy to drive, etc. but I don't think you'd have the reliability of a small block either. I would also think about an LS package if money is a big factor.

dirty white boy
01-08-2013, 01:03 AM
went to the Wo0 world finals at charlotte nc,....had the best late model teams on dirt,...a;so had the big block mods too,...liked the better airo of the cars,..bigger tires too,..big ol hawg motors!!lord soulda herd them thangs,..deep torquey beast!! man i was like these things gonna be badder than a late model,...WRONG!! great racing!! but 2.5 seconds slower....idk if any of that helps but is sumtin to think about!!

think the LS motors,..the new hemi,..along with electronics will be the next big step in dirt late model,..as it is now,..ant carb racing kinda old model????

monkey see monkey do most time make a fool outta you....there are those that search for a advantage,..an those that copy others,...both can win,..but only the searcher goes down in history....

50j
01-08-2013, 07:29 AM
I don't think so. Carbs are easy to trouble shoot or change. If you think it's a carb problem you can put the back up carb on in minutes. Electronic fuel system problems are a nightmare and racing on dirt wouldn't be a good environment for EFI. It would be too easy to put traction control on with additional electronics and an on board computer. LS with carb works nice though. What kind of lap times do small block Modifieds turn at that track compared to the Late Models?

dirty white boy
01-08-2013, 03:14 PM
I don't think so. Carbs are easy to trouble shoot or change. If you think it's a carb problem you can put the back up carb on in minutes. Electronic fuel system problems are a nightmare and racing on dirt wouldn't be a good environment for EFI. It would be too easy to put traction control on with additional electronics and an on board computer. LS with carb works nice though. What kind of lap times do small block Modifieds turn at that track compared to the Late Models?

dont know what kinda times small block mods run there,...pretty sure thay have run there before,..the dirt track at lowes don't run regular events,..just special's,... the big block mods are lot deffernt than regular mods,driver sets in middle with wedge body like bords on both sides of driver.........no body ever said racing was easy,electronics can be teched just as any thing else,NHRA an NASCAR an F1 already are doing it...and it is the future,..sooner or later it will be come the norm.....

sj valley dave
01-08-2013, 05:12 PM
People seem to forget that not only is the overall weight substantially more, but when you are going in and then coming off a corner, you have a 65-70 lb crank that needs to be slowed down and then sped back up vs. a SBC 40-45 lb crank...Why do you think that Oswego and ISMA won't allow small blocks to run in the Supermodifieds against the BBC's...

50j
01-08-2013, 05:26 PM
People seem to forget that not only is the overall weight substantially more, but when you are going in and then coming off a corner, you have a 65-70 lb crank that needs to be slowed down and then sped back up vs. a SBC 40-45 lb crank...Why do you think that Oswego and ISMA won't allow small blocks to run in the Supermodifieds against the BBC's...

Yep. It could be done with lightweight parts but it would no longer be an "inexpensive" option.

zeroracing
01-08-2013, 05:27 PM
dont know what kinda times small block mods run there,...pretty sure thay have run there before,..the dirt track at lowes don't run regular events,..just special's,... the big block mods are lot deffernt than regular mods,driver sets in middle with wedge body like bords on both sides of driver.........no body ever said racing was easy,electronics can be teched just as any thing else,NHRA an NASCAR an F1 already are doing it...and it is the future,..sooner or later it will be come the norm.....

Doesn't NHRA use mechanical fuel injection for big classes, don't follow close.

NASCAR made the move to cripple start as parks, and it hurt many of them greatly, not for performance or economy, the cost was huge and is one more cater to large teams deal.

F1 has unlimited budgets and full carbon fiber chassis, are those headed to DLM racing? They even had cars they could adjust from the pits while its on the track. Best part is still use a wooden skid pan under them.

50j
01-08-2013, 05:30 PM

I don't see it happening at small local tracks anytime soon because of cost and difficulty teching it. There's no upside to efi, carburetors are easy to tech and use. Leave the FI headaches and phart mufflers to the ricers.

dirty white boy
01-08-2013, 07:37 PM
some of that is true,...but un opend minds are as good as blind...theres better power to be made with fuel injection,...an durability...ant we trying to go faster??? or just fast nuff to be in the running???

zeroracing
01-09-2013, 06:43 AM
One news article I looked up had the parts for NASCAR fuel injection at $25,000 and the software to run it and tune $70,000.

So add over 90,000 to your operating budget. A great carb produces a ton or power for only $1500.

50j
01-09-2013, 10:36 AM
One news article I looked up had the parts for NASCAR fuel injection at $25,000 and the software to run it and tune $70,000.

So add over 90,000 to your operating budget. A great carb produces a ton or power for only $1500.

And most people don't realize it but carbs make more power at this point.

Egoracing
01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
theres better power to be made with fuel injection,...an durability

Actually neither of these statements are true. A few of the mags did comparisons and a properly adjusted and maintained carb in a racing application will out power and has better emissions than a FI setup when it is running at 100%. The EFI has an advantage only in it's adaptability for different driving conditions. As far as power the engine lost peak and lower end power when the FI was optimized than using a carb.
Warren Johnson: "Properly tuned, carburetors make more peak power than EFI in a Pro Stock engine."

hucktyson
01-09-2013, 12:02 PM
It's impossible to win a big time dirt late model race now a days without running a big block !! I don't mean a 4.5 bore spacing I mean an actual big block !! All of the top guys run them !!! Why do you think Owens , oneil , bloomer and lannigan are soo good ? It's because they run 600 plus CI big blocks !! And they turn them 13k !!

perfconn
01-09-2013, 01:41 PM
If there is anybody believes that I have some ocean front property in Arizona I need to sell them.

sj valley dave
01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm reasonably certain that hucktyson was being tongue in cheek with his post!! Or at least I hope so!! LOL

dirty white boy
01-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Actually neither of these statements are true. A few of the mags did comparisons and a properly adjusted and maintained carb in a racing application will out power and has better emissions than a FI setup when it is running at 100%. The EFI has an advantage only in it's adaptability for different driving conditions. As far as power the engine lost peak and lower end power when the FI was optimized than using a carb.
Warren Johnson: "Properly tuned, carburetors make more peak power than EFI in a Pro Stock engine."

...the best tuned carb in the world is just a controlled fuel leak compared to what can be achieved with computer controlled direct injection,and timing of delivery of fuel an spark too,..easier no,cheaper no, but a hell of a lot better controlled tuning has to make a motor run better...dont see how it couldnt...

Egoracing
01-09-2013, 04:31 PM
...the best tuned carb in the world is just a controlled fuel leak compared to what can be achieved with computer controlled direct injection,and timing of delivery of fuel an spark too,..easier no,cheaper no, but a hell of a lot better controlled tuning has to make a motor run better...dont see how it couldnt...

Look it up, it has been proven time and again that the peak power of an electronic fuel injected engine is not up to the peak of the same engine on a properly tuned carburetor. Overall power may be slightly higher but it can not match the peak. If you think a carb is nothing more than a tuned fuel leak then you REALLY need a new carb guy. Not trying to argue just pointing out facts on the 2 systems.

perfconn
01-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Don't know how this thread evolved from running a bb chevy into a discussion about fuel injection but anyway you must understand that an engine on the dyno and one on the racetrack is two different worlds.
Yes a properly built carburetor will make as much or more hp on the dyno but when you put in acceleration,deceleration,banking,left front hike and all the other g forces that a carburetor encounters under racing conditions the electronic fuel injection will win hands down everytime.
I'm not a fan of fuel injection because it's over the head of the weekly racer but physics prove it's better for racing.

50j
01-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Off topic, but yes the EFI is good for cornering or extreme angles but not well suited for dirt track racing. My argument against it would be cost, time involved in tech, and reliability. Rough tracks and dirt would be hard on it. I wouldn't want it. Now back on topic.

F22 RAPTOR
01-10-2013, 01:30 PM
All things being equal, say both a BBC and a SBC are both making 900HP and comparable torque curves, I concede an SBC will have a handling advantage from its lighter weight and possibly a slight acceleration advantage, however I believe you could build the BBC in a bigger displacement and turn fewer RPM's resulting in longer engine life, which is my argument in a nutshell. I've heard some say the BBC cars engine weight made it where the car couldn't be balanced, I find that hard to believe, if so answer me this. What is the difference in weight of an all aluminum BBC versus an all steel SBC limited engine? I'm guessing they're somewhat close in weight and we have lots of those running in my area that handle pretty darn good.

perfconn
01-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Somewhat close in weight covers a lot of ground.I'll bet there is at least 200 pounds difference.With sbc being 450ci just how much bigger and heavier would you build a bbc.

JJ128
01-10-2013, 10:29 PM
A stock steel 454 is about 105 pounds heavier than a stock steel 350. Aluminum heads
on a big block take off close to 70 pounds and an aluminum block takes off another 70.
An all aluminum big block is quite a bit lighter than an all steel small block, and very
similar in weight to a stock block/aluminum head small block. An all aluminum BBC is
lighter than a Little M block/aluminum head SBC. An aluminum head/stock block BBC
is within a few pounds of a Little M block/cast iron Dart head SBC.

50j
01-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Crickets chirping....

hucktyson
01-14-2013, 01:26 PM
An all aluminum big block is actually smaller and lighter than a small block !!! It's about 47 lbs lighter than a 4.5 bore spacing motor with fully lightened heads and block !!! And it accelelerates and decelerates twice as fast !! Basically your retarded if you don't run Atleast a 600 cubic inch big block

sj valley dave
01-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Again, I hope you are tongue in cheek...Otherwise..OMG!! An all aluminum BBC is not lighter than an all aluminum SBC, even if the SBC is a billet 4.5" bore space block...And you haven't even started talking about the 25-30 lb difference in crank weight that you have to start and stop...

F22 RAPTOR
01-20-2013, 05:45 PM
A stock steel 454 is about 105 pounds heavier than a stock steel 350. Aluminum heads
on a big block take off close to 70 pounds and an aluminum block takes off another 70.
An all aluminum big block is quite a bit lighter than an all steel small block, and very
similar in weight to a stock block/aluminum head small block. An all aluminum BBC is
lighter than a Little M block/aluminum head SBC. An aluminum head/stock block BBC
is within a few pounds of a Little M block/cast iron Dart head SBC.

Thanks JJ128 for giving an intelligent answer, I'm still not sure why some people are incapable of adult mature conversation. So if an, "All aluminum BBC" is lighter than an, "All steel SBC" its conceivable that a BBC car can be balanced out to handle properly, even better than a limited car. Gosh y'all, why was that so hard to get to???

I think I'm done, I learned what i needed about several things regarding BBC & SBC, including who and who not to try and talk too. However if there's anybody out there with BBC circle track knowledge or experience I'd love to talk with you if have the capacity for mature conversation and can handle a few questions.

twisterf5
01-21-2013, 06:15 AM
been reading and thinking about this. got some friends that have BBC stuff even think i can come up with a alum block. was drag stuff but could change cam and rods for dirt i know one his engine is almost 700 cubs. if you were to build one all alum how much more weight are we talking about.if it would be around the weight of a steel head think i could make that work or would love to try.

sj valley dave
01-21-2013, 01:10 PM
That is a very big, heavy crank that you have to slow down and speed up at each end of the track...absolutely nothing like drag racing don't forget

dirty white boy
01-21-2013, 03:47 PM
been reading and thinking about this. got some friends that have BBC stuff even think i can come up with a alum block. was drag stuff but could change cam and rods for dirt i know one his engine is almost 700 cubs. if you were to build one all alum how much more weight are we talking about.if it would be around the weight of a steel head think i could make that work or would love to try.

be cool if ya could find a set on them world famous aluminum jr johnson heads from back in the day,..buddy of mine had a set,thay were nice!!

twisterf5
01-21-2013, 04:54 PM
be cool if ya could find a set on them world famous aluminum jr johnson heads from back in the day,..buddy of mine had a set,thay were nice!!well i grew up in ny with OWM supers at oswego big blocks and ran some big blocks on dirt mainly stayed with the 320 small block. but got a good friend in AL that drags most of his stuff is sponsor paid for and i know he has got blocks that are well over 600 cubes think i could get some old stuff for next to nothing.im going to see what i can come up with.

sj valley dave
01-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Have fun...There is a reason that Oswego outlawed SBC from it's Supermodifieds...The same reason that ISMA outlawed SBC from their Supermodified's also...LOL

dirty white boy
01-22-2013, 02:36 PM
600 ci in a late model hafta be bad if it hooks,...dont think nobody round here had ci above 460 back when thay still raced big blocks,..dont thing them big block mods up north are any bigger that that now ether,..the one i talked with at the worlds said 450ci was where thay was....erry body told christoper columbus the world was flat too till he found usa!

sj valley dave
01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
You really don't think that people have thought about it...With the tendency of tracks going dry and the ability to make 900 HP with a SBC that weighs less, both overall and, very importantly, rotating weight, what would you gain/lose with a big inch BBC?? If I was building a drag door slammer I'd build a 730" Sonny Bryant, if I could afford it, and be done with it....Worthless in the DLM world...IMO

dualdj1
01-23-2013, 09:43 PM
You really don't think that people have thought about it...With the tendency of tracks going dry and the ability to make 900 HP with a SBC that weighs less, both overall and, very importantly, rotating weight, what would you gain/lose with a big inch BBC?? If I was building a drag door slammer I'd build a 730" Sonny Bryant, if I could afford it, and be done with it....Worthless in the DLM world...IMO

Absolutely agree. Best thing to have in a DLM is a nice strong smooth powerband (both torque and HP), and a lightweight rotating assembly.

SuperEight
02-05-2015, 04:44 PM
went to the Wo0 world finals at charlotte nc,....had the best late model teams on dirt,...a;so had the big block mods too,...liked the better airo of the cars,..bigger tires too,..big ol hawg motors!!lord soulda herd them thangs,..deep torquey beast!! man i was like these things gonna be badder than a late model,...WRONG!! great racing!! but 2.5 seconds slower....idk if any of that helps but is sumtin to think about!!

think the LS motors,..the new hemi,..along with electronics will be the next big step in dirt late model,..as it is now,..ant carb racing kinda old model????

monkey see monkey do most time make a fool outta you....there are those that search for a advantage,..an those that copy others,...both can win,..but only the searcher goes down in history....
I believe Big Block mods run steel blocks and are limited to like 460 cubes, so no exactly a direct comparison. Good conversation though. I like BBC's and LS engines too.

ask0329
02-06-2015, 03:35 PM
The big blocks that run in the north east are 460 ci steel blocks. They hold together very well if put together right. But thats the same with any engine. I've never heard of any known or repetitive issues. There are guys that are competitive and have won with $10K big blocks but the top guys are in the $30-40K range and they scream. Buddy of mine had one built by engine research out of canada and it clocked in at well over 1,000 hp on the dyno. Some of the builders are Enders, Feil, LJL Kevlar, precision, finger lakes, slaviak and theres a few more that i cannot recall. Some tracks do mix sbc 358's in with the big blocks. On a tacky track, the 358's really dont stand a chance. Fortunately,or unfortunately the tracks up here are mostly dry slick to on occassion you will see a 358 beat a big block in a 30-40 lap feature.

Josh Bayko
02-09-2015, 12:03 PM
The car indeed won a few races that year, not sure how many with the BB. I watched from turn 4 one of the nights it won with the BB, I heard they had some issues with weight balance and the car pushing the nose, along with some carb issues, but it seemed like they had gotten it figured out. I asked Chris once about the weight and he said with some more lightening and alum/Ti bolts it couldv'e been abit lighter. Edges BB wasn't even hardly a mild build, 11.5:1cr or so IIRC, mild cam etc, for around $35,000 IIRC. Chris's shop is less than 10 miles from me. There was talks of some of the big teams running them at WVMS or some other big track. Keep in mind there are a ton of BB's out there on the dirt every week in the Modifieds.

Big block modifieds are a completely different animal than a late model, and they're steel. And when big inch small blocks were legal to run in the class years ago, they were quickly the hot ticket.