PDA

View Full Version : Fans!!!

racingleadfoot
01-10-2012, 09:42 AM
will a electric fan keep a crate car cool / has any one tried them.

JustAddDirt
01-10-2012, 11:34 AM
i would think so if you got a good one. SPAHL makes some really good ones
Have to run an alternator though.
so is there really an advantage?

dualdj1
01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
i would think so if you got a good one. SPAHL makes some really good ones
Have to run an alternator though.
so is there really an advantage?

Probably no advantage hp wise, but a small advantage of no dead battery, or not having to pull off if you have a battery prob during a race (unlikely though)

racingleadfoot
01-12-2012, 09:45 AM
our plans were to move the alt and ps pump to the rear belt drive.and run an electric pump and fan all research show 10 to 20 hp gain just don't know if it will stay cool. called a couple of fan company's they say yes but of course they are trying to sell there fans. trying to find the cfm on a Steele 6 blade verse an electric but can not find any info on the Steele blade. has any one ran electric with any success.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-12-2012, 10:03 AM
I have driven a car with a 23 degree 355 ci engine that was effectively cooled by an electric fan. It was burning methanol, however.

dualdj1
01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
our plans were to move the alt and ps pump to the rear belt drive.and run an electric pump and fan all research show 10 to 20 hp gain just don't know if it will stay cool. called a couple of fan company's they say yes but of course they are trying to sell there fans. trying to find the cfm on a Steele 6 blade verse an electric but can not find any info on the Steele blade. has any one ran electric with any success.

How hot does your engine run currently? Do you use a fan shroud? How close is your fan to the radiator?

An electric fan will be right on the radiator, so will be similar to a shroud and have a better pull than a mechanical, though it may not turn as many RPMs and therefore not have as high of flow as a mechanical. If your engine runs pretty cool, and you don't use a shroud and have some space, then should be good. Judge accordingly.

BTDT
01-13-2012, 11:14 PM
I have not been able to keep a crate under 230 with an electric fan. I have tried several fans,shrouds,radiators etc with no luck. Even tried a fan on each side!(yes I do run an alternator) I can only surmise the airflow under the car is an issue.

I have been able to keep almost everything else cool with an electric fan and there is a HP difference.

Egoracing
01-14-2012, 06:42 PM
I have not been able to keep a crate under 230 with an electric fan. I have tried several fans,shrouds,radiators etc with no luck. Even tried a fan on each side!(yes I do run an alternator) I can only surmise the airflow under the car is an issue.

I have been able to keep almost everything else cool with an electric fan and there is a HP difference.

We tried it and it did not work and I was talking to Shannon Buckingham at one event and he said they spent a few thousand dollars trying different fan and radiator combos and never got an electric to work with the crate motor.

hpmaster
01-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Personaly I like a 19" mechanical fan and shove the radiator as close to the fan, about 11/4" from radiator and back between A frames by using 24" radiator with no shroud. Pretty straight forward and cools great. Tried shrouds and electric stuff just didn't cut it. Hard to beat big ol fan.