PDA

View Full Version : latemodel or modified,easier to drive

purestock45
01-15-2012, 04:45 AM
which is easier to drive from a rookie standpoint?latemodel or modified?steelblock lm coming to our area and considering lm instead of mod.

EAMShater
01-15-2012, 01:23 PM
I've never driven a mod but I'd have to say they are harder. I only have a crate cafe so you just hold it wide open and go but a mod is just wicked and the suspension is way outdated on most so they have to be more of a handful. That being said. Where I'm from the competition is nowhere near as tough in mods as it is in late models and they are Alto cheaper because guys here have to run hard tires and they last forever and go build a good mod motor is way cheaprd than getting a new crate motor and blue printing it and the mod cars are just cheaper. If more people ran em around my area I would much rather have a mod

racin6mod
01-15-2012, 01:36 PM
which is easier to drive from a rookie standpoint?latemodel or modified?steelblock lm coming to our area and considering lm instead of mod.

the steel block lm would be the best deal to start with. we have both and the mods are very touchy when it comes to set ups.as for cost in my area the mods have gotten out of hand and the cost is equal to running a lm. if you want to run for ump pionts.

AmickRacing
01-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Seems like when you watch the mod guys, they are sawing at the wheel a lot more, and the guys who aren't and are super smooth are one heck of a driver.

Another thing to consider is the payout and the competition. If you're starting out you'll want to choose a class that will let you get the most races in. If there's 40 mod's, and 20 LM's you're likely going to get more seat time in the LM rather than worrying about making the race.

Payout is something to consider also. Around here, LM's pay much better than b-mods (all we really have around here). For the huge money some of them b-mod guys pump out for a $65 to start, they could easily be in a decent LM and making $100 more just to start.

Just some more food for thought...

hpmaster
01-16-2012, 08:08 AM
I think the extra money they pay for lm cars makes them easier to drive

joedoozer
01-16-2012, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't say one is easier than the other to drive. A good handling car is easier to drive than an ill handling. I think your set ups will be more forgiving with a wider/softer tire.When I started racing last year, I got a lot of opinions on starting out in Late Models. But for me, my budget and the area that I live in. It made the most cents (intentional play on words). There are 6 or 7 tracks within 2 hours of my house. For the money I have to spend weekly I had 3 options. 1. Super Street - A class I could afford to run up front weekly and not be out spent. But not all the tracks share the same rules, so I may be stuck running one track. The pay outs suck, so don't plan on making any money. And the quality of cars is not very good. Most races are timed out, they can't keep the green out for more than 3 laps. I ruled this out because I didn't want to be forced to run one track, for no money with guys just tearing up equipment weekly.2. Limited Late Model (Clip Car) - I could afford to run in the top 5 weekly, but it has the same problem as Super Street. They tear up cars, and run for no money. 3. Late Model (NLMS Rules) - In most of the country this would be considered a Limited Late. Restrictions on the engine and a spec tire rule. I can afford this class, but its at the end of the budget. I will never win and a top 10 finish is a great night. I can run all of the local tracks. The pay is really good, most tracks its $100 or $125 to start the feature with no entry fee. Better quality of cars and drivers, so you are spending your time making your car better. And not spending it fix crash damage. For me the Late Model was the best choice. But it's not the choice everyone would make. Some people need to win at all costs, and will race a lower class and just outspend everyone. I am having a great time running like we are. We have our nights when we get it right and run good. And its a good feeling running up there with guys that are spending $30,000 more than you are. And I know when the NLMS tour guys are in town, we are going to have to work hard just to make the show. I wouldn't base just your decision on whats easiest to learn with. Because you will learn with whatever you start out with. You started on a tricycle or a big wheel, but you out grew it and moved on a bike. Can you afford to sell everything you bought and start over when you outgrow your "starter" class?No idea why this is all one paragraph. I have tried editing it, and it still lumps it all together. Sorry its a tough read like this.

FlatTire
01-16-2012, 11:47 AM
I've raced mods before late models and I'd have to say that I don't feel one is easier to drive than the other. Yes the late model probably does have superior handing abilities which would make a person think they are easier to drive, but you are also going faster. In a late model everything happens so much faster and you have to get up on the wheel a lot more than a mod.

There is a higher class of driver in the late model division so you don't have all the beating and banging like you do in mods. Guys respect each other a lot more. I got tired of all the bent wheels, bumpers, steering linkage in modified racing. Too many guys in mods that drive with that "bomber" mentality.

The drawback to late models is the amount of places you have to race one.

hotrod4890
01-17-2012, 09:36 PM
I sure wish this was true! I spent the day at Bill Frye's shop today. He is selling Shaw modifieds $22,500 for a rolling car and I priced engines yesterday. For a USMTS spec head motor from Jay (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ens is $25,500. For another $1,000 you can get a ported head "open" motor. Then you still have the same money for a transmission and bell housing. Plus the tires are just like every other racing tire. They slow down with every heat cycle.
I've never driven a mod but I'd have to say they are harder. I only have a crate cafe so you just hold it wide open and go but a mod is just wicked and the suspension is way outdated on most so they have to be more of a handful. That being said. Where I'm from the competition is nowhere near as tough in mods as it is in late models and they are Alto cheaper because guys here have to run hard tires and they last forever and go build a good mod motor is way cheaprd than getting a new crate motor and blue printing it and the mod cars are just cheaper. If more people ran em around my area I would much rather have a mod

9WRACER
01-17-2012, 09:42 PM
I have driven mods, open late models and crate late models, the late models are easier to drive. Your always on the ragged edge in a modified.