PDA

View Full Version : Bent frame help???

latemodel86
01-15-2012, 06:59 PM
The frame on my car is bent in 2 different areas. One spot is on the right side framerail directly across from the 5th shock and it's bent in towards the center of the car. The other place is on the top right side framerail, by the RR; where it's bent up towards the deck with some angle to it but not much. The one spot by the RR seemed to have affected the ride height some. I drove the car with the frame bent a few times this year and it seemed to have not affected the handling of the car. Like I said, I had to adjust the ride height on all 4 corners to get it close again, and when I did that and put it back on the scales, nothing had changed. My question is, should I straighten the frame out on both locations, or just leave it alone? Keep this in consideration as well, the rear clip got twisted to the side slightly back in 2010 and I got it straigthened back out. So the frame has been bent twice. The only thing that worries me about straightening the frame out for the 2nd time, is will it make the welds and frame more weak, and will it affect the car on the scales? I'm assuming that if I had to adjust the ride height after it got bent, I would have to also adjust it again if I straighten the frame... I'd appreciate any opinions! I will upload pictures of the frame if someone could tell me how...

4bangerhotrod
01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
like the late great jack boggs told me, the car doesnt know its bent. if you couldnt feel any difference i wouldnt worry about it set everything back to where it should be an drive it. the best car i ever had looked like a snake when lookin down the main rail

Graff Spee
01-15-2012, 09:57 PM
like the late great jack boggs told me, the car doesnt know its bent. if you couldnt feel any difference i wouldnt worry about it set everything back to where it should be an drive it. the best car i ever had looked like a snake when lookin down the main rail

And I thought I was the one who always said that! LOL, I do agree!!!

latemodel86
01-15-2012, 11:48 PM
My car knows it's bent. Those were 2 hard licks. lol

supercomet32
01-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Id check everyweld along both frame rails around the 4 points of the cage the rear suspension brackets and check the x brace. fix any bad welds and make sure the rear brackets are square in the car also check any welds you had to repair when it hrut the rear last time. if all of that is ok run it but make notes showing where it was in terms of setup versus where it is now so that when you replace it you will back on point with the next chassis. also if you hurt it again in the rear i'd sell it but thats me i dont like clipping cars more than once....twice tops. but either way get your money out of it. just start making plans now to replace it and if you find you dont need to your ahead of the game. if you do then your ready. but it'd be nice to have frame money and then not need it and drop it in shocks or more motor. my .02

latemodel86
01-16-2012, 11:40 AM
It hasn't been clipped, jus pulled out from the first wreck. I'm going to check the welds and everything here soon, maybe today. I jus like to have my equipment in good condition and try to keep it that way. It jus bugs the h*** out of me having a bent car. I appreciate everyone's opinions!

Matt49
01-16-2012, 03:06 PM
It hasn't been clipped, jus pulled out from the first wreck. I'm going to check the welds and everything here soon, maybe today. I jus like to have my equipment in good condition and try to keep it that way. It jus bugs the h*** out of me having a bent car. I appreciate everyone's opinions!

All that a chassis does is hold suspension mounting points in a 3 dimensional space.
If it's safe and still has the desired rigidity or flexibility that you're looking for and as long as the suspension mounting points are where they are supposed to be, the car should be good.

RW57
01-16-2012, 03:52 PM
One of the best cars I ever had was bent if it works run it. I have heard more than one racer say the car was better after I hurt it.

abe_05
01-17-2012, 12:10 PM
You can take it too body shop and put it on frame machine pull it back out strait. I have done this before and car looked like it never been wrecked. Car handled just same before wreck and this was on the front clip, frame rails bent and chassis was twisted.

latemodel86
01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
You can take it too body shop and put it on frame machine pull it back out strait. I have done this before and car looked like it never been wrecked. Car handled just same before wreck and this was on the front clip, frame rails bent and chassis was twisted.

That's what I did last time, since one of my sponsors is a body shop. They did one helluva job on it! I would've never even known the car was bent. I think I'll jus leave it alone until I go to sell it, whenever that is......