PDA

View Full Version : LR angle

Hagen14t
01-17-2012, 03:26 PM
What is the reason you dont want your left rear top rod to travel past 45 degrees? Whats the correct way to measure it? Is there ever anytime that you would want it past 45 degrees at long as it doesnt overindex? Im trying to figure out how far i want my left rear to travel.

Hagen14t
01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
We race IMCA with the G60 so just trying to figure this stuff out.

dirttrackrocker
01-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Anything past 45 and you start losing forward drive.

Hagen14t
01-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Whats the correct way to measure that? With the car hanging level and both sides of the rear end hanging? Or with jus the back up and the rear end hanging? Or just jacked up in front of the left rear tire until the tire is just about ready to come up?

Darkstar15
01-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Try jacking car up right in front of LR until tire just starts to come off ground. Then measure angle. 45 degrees would be max, after that the birdcage may over index and cause car to tighten up. If you use a chain you can adjust to changing track conditions. More angle for slick, less for tacky. We stay between 36 and 42 seems to work for us.

John

Hagen14t
01-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Okay, so just jack the car up right in front of the tire until it just barely comes up? When i do that the angle is about 47 but when i let the car hang level, the angle is at 42. Just wondering what the right way to go about this is? I appreciate the help.

JustAddDirt
01-18-2012, 10:17 AM
when you have the car on jackstands the angle will not be the same as sitting on ground, and jackin up chassis in front of LR wheel. The rear end twists an bit on pandard bar and the the angles will change.
The closest you can get to real numbers is jacking car up like stated above.

Hagen14t
01-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Okay, i appreciate the help guys.

calif54
01-18-2012, 10:49 AM
The main reason you don't want excessive LR angle was mentioned above- you lose drive. To explain a little more, you need to visualize what is happening as the car hikes and angle begins to increase on the LR upper bar. Initially, the angle increases without much forward movement of the LR tire causing increased drive angle and forward drive on the LR, but as you reach a point- typically 45 degrees, the move you increase angle it just pulls the LR tire forward and actually loosens the car by shortening the LR wheelbase and causing excessive loose roll steer. You can check this for yourself in the shop. Put the car on jack stands and have the LR and RR at approximate ride height with floor jacks. Slowly lower the the LR and inch at a time (to simulate LR hike) and record the amount the LR tire moves forward. Initially, the LR won't move forward that much, but when you reach extreme angles, the the LR will really move forward an excessive amount negating any positive that more bar angle would provide. Good luck.

Hagen14t
01-18-2012, 02:42 PM
I appreciate all of the help guys.