PDA

View Full Version : Reverse mount starter help

turnecm
01-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Does anyone recommend a good reverse mount starter for an open motor that is not $400? I have a cvr that I used with my crate, but it is not cutting it with this open motor.

powerslide
01-18-2012, 10:46 AM
http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?198792-Starter-for-602-604&highlight=toyota

any of the "Racing" starters are going to be expensive. I use the one they talk about in that thread. Works good, i get the motor turning over then flip the switch.

joedoozer
01-18-2012, 01:41 PM
http://www.dbrstarters.com/Our_Products_JJ9X.html I have had great luck with this guys stuff.

WheelchairWarrior
01-18-2012, 10:50 PM
DBR starters in Collinwood TN. My team has used them for a couple years now with no problems. (931) 724-9201, his name is Kevin. Give him a call he will hook you up. Great guy to work with.

Egoracing
01-19-2012, 07:15 AM
See if you can find Chris Steele on here or Facebook. He can tell you how to build a gear reduction high torque out of a Mitsu alternator that is around $100.

Racer111
01-19-2012, 12:54 PM
I have been useing Powermaster not one problem..

JJ128
01-19-2012, 02:12 PM
This is copied from Chris Steele's post in 2009. I have never tried it, but a friend of mine did and had no issues getting it completed in less than an hour.

Alright, here's the deal. I bought a 1987 Toyota pickup starter for the 22R engine tonight @ O'Reilly Auto Parts part #16674X for $49.99 with one-year warranty. Don't spring the extra $20 bucks for the lifetime warranty starter because your going to modify it and the warranty will be void anyway.

I did this step by step over the phone tonight for the first time ever. In just over an hour I had it on the car spinning the engine over, next time I should be able to do it in 35-40 minutes max.

1. Remove starter head, be careful because there's a middle gear that has a shaft through it that comes out when you remove the head and the gear has roller bearings in it that could fall out. But if they do they are simple to put back in the bottom of the gear.
2. Remove the gear drive from the starter head.
3. Disassemble the gear drive by pushing the shaft up and the gear down to expose the lock ring. Remove the lock ring so you can remove the gear, now remove the small spring, large spring and the washer that has inner grooves and trash them. You'll also leave off the lock ring and ring that was at the end of the gear. Re-assemble the gear drive and get ready to do some welding. Put the gear flush with the end of the shaft and weld it there. You will need to leave the long spring that sticks up out of the starter when the gear drive is removed. The two springs to leave out are IN the gear drive.
4. You now need to get ready to cut on the starter head. There are two "rings" where the starter shaft comes through the head. One is the large one that lines the starter up, the other is smaller right around the hole where the gear comes through. You need to cut the inner/small ring so it's level with the outer ring if you were to lay a straight edge across them.
5. Re-assemble the starter gear drive and starter head onto the starter and tighten bolts.
6. Now remove the cover on the other end of the starter that has 3 small screws holding it on. Take the centerpiece out and put some silicone on the contact that has one small wire to help prevent it from breaking and re-assemble that end. Put your jumper wire on and your ready.

JustAddDirt
01-20-2012, 11:51 AM
This is copied from Chris Steele's post in 2009. I have never tried it, but a friend of mine did and had no issues getting it completed in less than an hour.

Alright, here's the deal. I bought a 1987 Toyota pickup starter for the 22R engine tonight @ O'Reilly Auto Parts part #16674X for $49.99 with one-year warranty. Don't spring the extra $20 bucks for the lifetime warranty starter because your going to modify it and the warranty will be void anyway.

I did this step by step over the phone tonight for the first time ever. In just over an hour I had it on the car spinning the engine over, next time I should be able to do it in 35-40 minutes max.

1. Remove starter head, be careful because there's a middle gear that has a shaft through it that comes out when you remove the head and the gear has roller bearings in it that could fall out. But if they do they are simple to put back in the bottom of the gear.
2. Remove the gear drive from the starter head.
3. Disassemble the gear drive by pushing the shaft up and the gear down to expose the lock ring. Remove the lock ring so you can remove the gear, now remove the small spring, large spring and the washer that has inner grooves and trash them. You'll also leave off the lock ring and ring that was at the end of the gear. Re-assemble the gear drive and get ready to do some welding. Put the gear flush with the end of the shaft and weld it there. You will need to leave the long spring that sticks up out of the starter when the gear drive is removed. The two springs to leave out are IN the gear drive.
4. You now need to get ready to cut on the starter head. There are two "rings" where the starter shaft comes through the head. One is the large one that lines the starter up, the other is smaller right around the hole where the gear comes through. You need to cut the inner/small ring so it's level with the outer ring if you were to lay a straight edge across them.
5. Re-assemble the starter gear drive and starter head onto the starter and tighten bolts.
6. Now remove the cover on the other end of the starter that has 3 small screws holding it on. Take the centerpiece out and put some silicone on the contact that has one small wire to help prevent it from breaking and re-assemble that end. Put your jumper wire on and your ready.

been doing the above 4 probably 6 years. I get my starters from my local NAPA store. they are Bosh Starters. work great. I have ran the current starter for 2 years, with an occasional take apart and clean.