PDA

View Full Version : spring city raceway

security one
01-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I see where they have new promoters there doing alot of work man i would love to see a super late model show on that bull ring maybe a srrs man that would be awesome

mignum
01-18-2012, 07:38 PM
where are you getting this information i can't find anything out about this track?

MRM
01-19-2012, 09:01 AM
That place isn't big enough for a super late model race. It's barely big enough to run limiteds or crates.

badacefaist19
01-19-2012, 10:52 AM
there is no such thing as too small of a track. look at belle clair up north. thats small. or macon. cmon man youve been around racing too long to say something like that.

Returning to Dirt
01-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Story on the new promotors and race director.

http://tennesseeracer.com/?p=2208

Returning to Dirt
01-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I haven't been there but my understanding that it would rough to get the big haulers to the track because of some low hanging trees. Again, that's just what I was told.

kd1
01-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Probably would not want to start no more than 18-20 cars for the feature..IMO!

MRM
01-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Here is a video of some racing action there to give you an idea of the size of the track. Like kd1 said, you couldn't run too many cars on it at once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaBk_ppDhuw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

stevo
01-20-2012, 06:08 PM
A few years back when they filmed the Discovery movie there , they raced about 18 pretty good show !

Flipper13
01-21-2012, 01:47 AM
well my understanding during one of the track/driver meetings , they are adding dirt and intend to move the tires out and get drivers up on the banking. I think 16 to 18 car features can happen.

Thanks for adding my link MRM

Bluediamond83
02-29-2012, 12:36 PM
well my understanding during one of the track/driver meetings , they are adding dirt and intend to move the tires out and get drivers up on the banking. I think 16 to 18 car features can happen.

Thanks for adding my link MRM

Anyone know when the Spring City 2012 rules and website will be updated? Are they planning on running Modified Streets again? Thanks

Bluediamond83
02-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Just wanted to add that as far as running Late Model shows at Spring City, check out Tyler County Speedway, a 1/4 Bullring in West Virginia. They have alot of big late model shows every year, Spring City would be just fine.... they just need bigger pit areas....

PJ66
03-01-2012, 09:43 AM
where are you getting this information i can't find anything out about this track?

http://springcityraceway.net/

99plummer
03-01-2012, 06:20 PM
There is no such thing is a track too small for supers..Maybe the pits are to small but not the track..There are tracks I have been too smaller then spring city that run supers.

ga racer
03-01-2012, 08:03 PM
where is a track smaller than spring city?

Itsinmyblood
03-01-2012, 08:28 PM
How does everyone think the track will do up against Boyds Speedway? Boyds week in and week out has great car counts

Plantintaters
03-02-2012, 08:03 AM
If the promoters would get rid of the stupid scary stuff that keeps racers away and you might be able to find out.
2 seperate instances at that track in past years, I have seen a driver hot lap a hobbie type car with no firesuit and NO HELMET. Who the hell lets crap like that happen? Someone that is not gonna be in business much longer, thats who! I have raced my whole life and never seen a track let someone do anything that stupid. Maybe the new guys will run it in a more professional manner. Sure wolud be nice to see that place get a little facelift . In years past it looked like the kind of place you would'nt want to enter unless you were up on your Tetnus shots! I'd be willing to go back if they get a clue.
Best of luck to em'

chupp n bloomer fan
03-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Track ain't too small, rework it out farther and make sure their up on safety. Parking and haulers couldn't tell ya, track wise looks pretty cool. Kinda like Midway in Ohio.

Chico
03-09-2012, 06:45 PM
they will have to work on the reputation of the track It's been known as a pretty rough track I love it raced there many yrs ago but there's a lot of people who won't race there until the new folks prove they have rules and enforce them without fav. jmo

Dhoffman66
03-12-2012, 04:55 AM
hi everyone thought i would give a little spring city history. Spring city raceway was built in 1984 thru 85 opened for racing in 1985. track size was 1/4 mile around the outside 3/16 inside. i have been going there sense 85, been racing there sence 1999. The place was booming in the late 80's. Rhea county raceway was the original name. Modified street was the big class then paid 400.00 to win every sat. night. pure street was 250.00 pony's paid 200.00 to win. that was big money then. Clayton Turner from crossville,tn. still holds the track record set on july 16, 1988 lap time:11.81. Still has not been broken and he was driving a malibu or his camero i was only 7 cant remember lol. No late model has come close to that time yet as of 2010. I didnt go there any in 2011 but tim kyle did well as a promoter. The place was a rough place 2000 thru 2007 but different lease holders r making better. It will take time some time for a reputation to be made again but ray,mark,and jones i think will do very well with spring city. So many great drivers have raced there Mid Durham from chatsworth,ga was the guy to beat 85 and 86 in modified st. 87 thru 89 was Rick Williams in the 17 tide car and Venabal Tabor 25 car Randy Weaver in the 16 stories car Ernie Lankford in his 75 car Patrick Garrison in the 37 first gold crome sheet medal camero. 90 thru 92 was the birth of late mdels there Sam Williams 96 was track champion 2 of those years and Patrick Duggan was runner up Jeff Smith was track champion in 92. Lots of great drivers strated there and have raced there. Track was closed 93 thru 95 and reopened 96. The place is a driving track its plenty big enough for any racing lots of room now to park still needs some cleaning up but looks a lot better.

Dhoffman66
03-12-2012, 05:00 AM
hi everyone thought i would give a little spring city history. Spring city raceway was built in 1984 thru 85 opened for racing in 1985. track size was 1/4 mile around the outside 3/16 inside. i have been going there sense 85, been racing there sence 1999. The place was booming in the late 80's. Rhea county raceway was the original name. Modified street was the big class then paid 400.00 to win every sat. night. pure street was 250.00 pony's paid 200.00 to win. that was big money then. Clayton Turner from crossville,tn. still holds the track record set on july 16, 1988 lap time:11.81. Still has not been broken and he was driving a malibu or his camero i was only 7 cant remember lol. No late model has come close to that time yet as of 2010. I didnt go there any in 2011 but tim kyle did well as a promoter. The place was a rough place 2000 thru 2007 but different lease holders r making better. It will take time some time for a reputation to be made again but ray,mark,and jones i think will do very well with spring city. So many great drivers have raced there Mid Durham from chatsworth,ga was the guy to beat 85 and 86 in modified st. 87 thru 89 was Rick Williams in the 17 tide car and Venabal Tabor 25 car Randy Weaver in the 16 stories car Ernie Lankford in his 75 car Patrick Garrison in the 37 first gold crome sheet medal camero. 90 thru 92 was the birth of late mdels there Sam Williams 96 was track champion 2 of those years and Patrick Duggan was runner up Jeff Smith was track champion in 92. Lots of great drivers strated there and have raced there. Track was closed 93 thru 95 and reopened 96. The place is a driving track its plenty big enough for any racing lots of room now to park still needs some cleaning up but looks a lot better.

stevo
03-14-2012, 01:17 PM
In 2002 the supers were turning in low 11's actually they were called outlaw as they had no rules,run what you got.this was about the same time they made the Discovery movie there.

Dhoffman66
03-15-2012, 01:06 PM
right i posted the wrong time 10.89 was the time i looked at my 89' rule book. the cars were a lot faster back then. but the tracks inside was inset more everyone wants to push it out if they would just leave it b and put back, there was plenty room for 3 wide racing.
i watched lamar scoggins,barry goodman and bobby doss 3-wide 4 2 action packed laps in a 30 lap race that was 2 wide till the last 3 laps and scoggins won at least the track is getting cleaned up they have done a lot of work this off season i rode by tuesday and looked at it a sheeps foot to till it up then wet it and run it in is how paul always got it ready and the track was always tacky no one will till it right

Dhoffman66
10-08-2012, 10:31 AM
the track held up fine this year and danny and raymond done a great job season is still going strong big races in oct.

stevo
10-12-2012, 09:58 AM
In 2004 thru 2007 LeCroy in the 2 Rayburn won about 60 races,funny how some can figure a track out. They only qualified once when we raced there and Le croy had a 1151,same year they filmed a Discovery mover there. LeCroy passed for the win on last lap..Track is a challenge we got knocked out in heat when movie was there.Would like to see supers there.

Lackey79
10-12-2012, 01:17 PM
i took my latemodle up there about 2 weeks ago and made a few laps i think you could run supers there but you would not want to start more than 18 or so cars. the race track looks good it is smooth thats more than you can say for most of the tracks anymore. Raymond has done a good job he put alot of work into this track. He has some parking you could get the big haulers in.

Plantintaters
10-12-2012, 01:27 PM
What gear would you need to run for a crate car at Spring City?

Lackey79
10-12-2012, 01:35 PM
What gear would you need to run for a crate car at Spring City?

680 or so i pulled a 643 and i truned about 6400 needed some more

Dhoffman66
10-14-2012, 01:37 AM
a 715 gear is perfect for spring city in a late model 700 in anything else 380-196 or 345-214 in a pony

Dhoffman66
10-14-2012, 01:46 AM
track is smooth no doubt i would like to see some open wheels there also supers ran there before in the early 90's the started about 18 in feature sam williams or dave bilbrey won that night but i know patrick duggan was third he hadnt been running a late model long 1st year i think runner up in points at spring city city

Murphy & Sons Racing
01-23-2013, 08:49 AM
In 2002 the supers were turning in low 11's actually they were called outlaw as they had no rules,run what you got.this was about the same time they made the Discovery movie there.

What kind of movie did Discovery Channel ever tape there? I remember A&E did one at Atomic in 2000, maybe 01? I actually have it somewhere, but I don't remember anything at Spring City. How do we get a copy?

Dhoffman66
01-23-2013, 09:29 AM
discovery channel did a movie there in sept. 2002 it was more about kenny lecroy than anything i guess how he won over 300 races there. i know 2 other drivers have won just as many or close 2 it thats marion tipton and rick williams. iam not sure how many lecroy won but it wasnt 300 at spring city maybe 130 or so. marion has more close to 300 cause he had the new track and old track history from 50's to the 90's. rick on the other hand from 87-92 had alot of wins just about all of them in 88-89. i tried to find somewhere to get the film that discovery did but cant find it. it air that next spring and had some incar footage of matt henderson his rookie year.

cbracer14
01-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Let me see....Kenny Lecroy 300 wins at Spring City......I believe that would be an average of 15 wins per season for 20 years!!!!! Somebody has been drinking too much Kool-Aid......

stevo
01-24-2013, 08:16 AM
It's on you tube, we put in LeCroy race or something like that,you can find it nice little track,

LITE-INN
01-24-2013, 09:54 AM
That place isn't big enough for a super late model race. It's barely big enough to run limiteds or crates.

come up to IL you might be surprised Macon highland belleville

Dhoffman66
01-24-2013, 12:04 PM
we ran year around at spring city we would start in feb. and race till jan. thats how he racked up so many wins 40-50 plus races a year. many nights it was snowing and so cold your hands were stuck on the wheel but im getting to old for that stuff like that lol. youtube spring city speedway filmed by discovery channel to see

big.ed
01-24-2013, 12:33 PM
where is a track smaller than spring city?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsKl0SbUJjQ
2 tracks in Ill are 1/5 miles and yes they do run lates been doing for 60 plus years woo lates sept13 th

Steve Hixson
01-24-2013, 01:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYqGl9BA3pk

ga racer
01-24-2013, 05:44 PM
garbage like this is what kills dirt racing, people that dont know much about and watches this really thinks its a bunch of rednecks at all dirt tracks.

cbracer14
01-24-2013, 06:10 PM
we ran year around at spring city we would start in feb. and race till jan. thats how he racked up so many wins 40-50 plus races a year. many nights it was snowing and so cold your hands were stuck on the wheel but im getting to old for that stuff like that lol. youtube spring city speedway filmed by discovery channel to see

Year round racing in Spring City...40 to 50+ wins a year......so your saying out of a possible 52 race dates a year that they got enough races in to win this many races...racing in the snow.....hands froze to the steering wheel....by the way I know Kenny Lecroy personally...he is rolling in the floor laughing his ass off at your post......He won a lot of races at Spring City but not even Superman could do what you claim!!!!

sevenstates
01-25-2013, 08:41 AM
In the film the car counts are better than they are now,the crowd is way bigger.Me and my bud usually go up there 2-3 times a year.The only thing I really don't like about that place is having Wolf Creek volunteer fire/rescue there.I mean what's the point of having them there? Two years ago I saw a hobby car flip several times near the flag stand...not one member of the Wolf Creek fire/rescue did anything,they didn't even go down there and ask if he was ok.

Dhoffman66
01-27-2013, 01:13 PM
hey pal i raced there long before kenny lecroy. and we raced all the time i dont like the guy myself but people say he won 300 plus races. i think he won 130 or so and he wouldnt had won that many if there was more than 3-4 cars night that film was built up to look good most of it isnt even spring city if u pay attention. racing yes stand and crowd no the guy can drive a racecar but when the bigger guys came there after all the tracks around closed he was no where to be found with a racecar maybe teching or standing around but not racing.....

Dhoffman66
01-27-2013, 01:23 PM
the track is cleaned up but it will never be the power house it was 25 years ago. raymond has done really good in his first year as a promoter and i think this year will be a really good year as long as they pay good cars will keep coming i see at least 15 pony stocks this year and the thunder road series was a great idea that will carry 12 plus car avg. super streets 12 plus also. fwd. is if-e u never know and latemodel had an 8 car avg, last year if they set a pay and stick to it i see 40-50 car avg. every week. so good luck to the staff and drivers at spring city

Dhoffman66
01-27-2013, 01:45 PM
wow that belle clair speedway is about the same size as spring city and a 10,000.00 to win race there was awesome. they prop. have a lot more parking area then spring city but u run just a big race at spring city there would be plenty of run for a big race like that money brings the big boys i have never seen that track but i liked it thk. for video

stevo
01-28-2013, 04:23 PM
In the movie it says on first lap, LeCroy sees a hole ans goes thru it,heck if you will look they was no hole when his car started turning, some how his car would start turning behind the car in front, does that mean his car is loose? They say it did that cause it's a Rayburn maby in all those wins they were counting all those wins at Boyds cause he raced 2 times a wk.

LITE-INN
01-29-2013, 10:48 PM
wow that belle clair speedway is about the same size as spring city and a 10,000.00 to win race there was awesome. they prop. have a lot more parking area then spring city but u run just a big race at spring city there would be plenty of run for a big race like that money brings the big boys i have never seen that track but i liked it thk. for video

belleclaire is always like that some would say the night was a little off

Roll Tide
01-31-2013, 12:55 PM
How many races did he win at Boyd's? I don't remember him winning alot... He had to go somewhere and pick on the cripples. He used to run with a rag taped to the back of his roll cage and they said it was his crying towel. He was a joke.

stevo
01-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Not sure but there is a couple of hundred tropheys isn his shop from boyds, but he has run there several years, he has never had the first notch equipment that others have had,i thought he done pretty good !

Roll Tide
01-31-2013, 06:38 PM
I haven't heard his name even mentioned in over 10 years and the first I remember even noticing him was in the mid '80's... So if he raced at Boyd's for 20 yrs., that would mean that he won 10 or more races each year and the track giving a trophy every week??? I'll have to call BULL $H1+ on that one.

stevo
02-01-2013, 01:26 PM
First race i seen him in was 83 and last time was about 3 yrs ago at boyds.

Dhoffman66
02-02-2013, 10:59 AM
i agree with u guys 100%

mignum
02-02-2013, 12:23 PM
I didnt know kenny personally but before I started racing I would go to spring city on occasion and I can tell you that kenny was the man to beat. His car handled so good down there he had it figured out, no power house motor just a good solid setup. I saw him smoke'em several times!

Steve Hixson
02-02-2013, 01:12 PM
I began announcing races in 1991 and started riding with Kenny to various tracks.... He would help anybody and everybody at the racetrack.... He is a terrific family man including loving and proud father.

Don't remember the year but he went to the first ever open practice for Fort Payne's track and sailed off the front straight-away and into some trees - thus destroying his car... The crash took it toll on Kenny and though he fully re-cooperated from his injuries, he was never the same behind the wheel

Back then EVERYBODY had LeCROY RIVETS....
I still have my 1st edition SCOTT BLOOMQUIST diecast cars that have his decals on them

Dhoffman66
02-02-2013, 11:35 PM
he did have spring city to the T on setup but like i said 3-4 cars and guys that were new drivers. and he only had jamie cruchfield and jay hassler and the tindell guy that was at boyds every week. i went to boyds every friday and spring city on sat.

stevo
02-03-2013, 08:16 AM
dhoffman66, you sound like a racer he outrun, but at Boyds they always have 12 to 18 cars, for some reason you don't like him, but no racer has all the fans. If you don't have anything good to say about someone what do you get to say? I don't think you know him!

Dhoffman66
02-07-2013, 11:33 AM
oh i know him i dont care for him and i didnt race against him we won the pony championship that year. i know how many cars were running there 4 everyweek cause randy gornke hadnt started running yet. when he bought the track from hershell then there was alot of latemodels cause it payed 100.00 to start. i said he had spring city to the t but there was only 4 to 5 cars and none were vets. they were all new thats all i said. i raced mod.street at spring city so i didnt race against him there either... he won everyweek and all the double feature nights 2. it got old really fast when the big boys came out it was different kenny didnt win .... i have plenty of videos from both tracks if u would like to see how many cars were there in latemodels