PDA

View Full Version : Oil coming out thru valve cover breather

3dinter
01-26-2012, 03:35 PM
I have a set of the tall valve covers with the 2 tubes for the small breathers that go over the tube and stay on with a clamp. It is on the driver side of the engine and after each race there is oil coming out of the back valve cover breather filter. I have placed a sponge inside of the tube and filter hoping it would act like a lawnmower filter and not blow oil out. But even with the tube and breather filled with a sponge oil keeps coming out. I run a 350 with a 7 qt pan with a High Volume Pump. I have thought about the Valve train oil deflector but i dont run poly locks. The oil does not come out of the front filter i dont know why. When i take both filters out for cleaning the front filter DOES NOT let water out if you fill it full, but the rear filter DOES let water out when you fill it full. So do i have a bad filter thats plugged from the factory or a good filter and the oil just gets thru it ???
How do i stop the oil from coming out

Dirtman29
01-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Both breathers should let water out slowly, you have a plugged up breather. Front one isnt breathing, forcing the blow-by out the back. The back usually lets out more since the oil is forced towards the back under hard acceleration. I would replace both breathers & put pieces of old socks in the tubes. Still lets it breathe & keeps the oil off your motor. How old is your motor, if its got that much oil coming out, may be rebuild time!

3dinter
01-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Both breathers should let water out slowly, you have a plugged up breather. Front one isnt breathing, forcing the blow-by out the back. The back usually lets out more since the oil is forced towards the back under hard acceleration. I would replace both breathers & put pieces of old socks in the tubes. Still lets it breathe & keeps the oil off your motor. How old is your motor, if its got that much oil coming out, may be rebuild time!

Brand new motor since beginning of last year, and it started from about the 2nd or 3rd race, maybe the first race and i just didnt notice it. i figured the old sponge like filter in the tube and filter would do the trick like a lawn mower filter but i heard of the sock trick also just never tried it. I wonder what if i put the plugged filter on the back tube and the good one up front, how much of a blowby would i get ? i got new filters coming also. appreciate it.

raceman17
01-27-2012, 12:54 PM
I had that problem on my car before. I made and installed a homemade baffle like the one you can buy that attaches to the rocker stud to deflect the oil back down on the valve train and it stopped the oil soaked breathers.

burnerdaddy
01-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Do your valve covers have baffles in them? cheap sets dont good ones are built in

raceman17
01-27-2012, 01:53 PM
They are a set of fabricated aluminum vortec head valve covers. They have a cheesey looking insert pressed down into the tube with two half moom bent slots in each insert. Another option would be to weld on the underside of the valve cover where the breather tubes come through the cover a small piece of material that deflects the oil back down. Just add a few tack welds to the piece and put a slight bend down on the material to still let the crankcase vent but deflect the oil back down so it wont go up the breather tubes.

te33
01-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Replace the front breather and put some steel wool in the rear tube .No oil and will still breath.

3dinter
01-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Do your valve covers have baffles in them? cheap sets dont good ones are built in

I have the steel ones and yes I believe there is a baffle or something close to a baffle under both the tubes.

3dinter
01-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Replace the front breather and put some steel wool in the rear tube .No oil and will still breath.

Haven't never heard of the steel wool trick, does it work ?

DaveBauerSS6
01-29-2012, 11:41 AM
I use a copper cleaning sponge called a "Chore Boy"; its for cleaning dishes and can be found at most food stores. Two to a pack, put one in each tube. Separates the oil from the blowby. I dont like the thought of the steel wool strands falling into the motor.The chore boy is coarse, but flexible.
A guy named Fonzie taught me that, fixes it every time. Just for your piece of mind, I would do a leakdown. Proper venting will not correct bad rings.

DaveBauerSS6
01-29-2012, 12:18 PM
I was t-shooting a similar problem for a guy and the VC had only a plug in the tube and placed directly over the rocker. Running the motor you could see the oil hitting the plugslots.
Most of the problems Ive ran across is excessive blowby.

LowTechRacing
01-29-2012, 04:14 PM
The valve covers that I have are hand me downs from my dad. He ran a pavement track that flipped a coin as they were getting ready to roll out to see if they were going right or going left. So I have the cross over type. Work great. The extra distance helps the oil not get all the way to the breathers. But I do still zip tie a rag over both breathers.

3dinter
01-30-2012, 10:29 AM
I run alum valve covers with the cheesy plug down in them and I zip tie a piece of rag over the top of both breathers to keep dirt out. I dont have excess oil coming out them. When the rag does blow off the top once in a while, I do have a oil spot up on my hood so the rag material is clearly enough in my case to hold the oil in.

People stuffing all that stuff in there must have blowby? Or maybe they are running high volume oil pumps and no restrictors just pushing tons of oil out the pushrods?

Even a brand new motor with the wrong hone for the rings can have blowby.

I run m55a pumps, full synthetic fluid and no restrictors or restrictors drilled out to 1/8 which many have said is the same as none? 7200 rpm max

Yes i run a High Volume pump with no restrictors.
Has anyone tried the Moroso or Speedway Motors Steel or Aluminum Cross over type valve covers ? I heard they work but sometimes they hit the Thermostat housing.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search-valve-cover-with-crossover.html

3dinter
01-30-2012, 10:50 AM
The valve covers that I have are hand me downs from my dad. He ran a pavement track that flipped a coin as they were getting ready to roll out to see if they were going right or going left. So I have the cross over type. Work great. The extra distance helps the oil not get all the way to the breathers. But I do still zip tie a rag over both breathers.

Can you tell what brand they are ? Would it be any of these 3 and does the crossover hit the thermostat housing ?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search-valve-cover-crossover.html

te33
02-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Haven't never heard of the steel wool trick, does it work ?

Works great,Put a couple of tie wraps around the outside and one around the long way then make a loop thru that one to use as a "handle" to pull it out.We do not have excessive blow-by,I attribute it to not having a restrictor in the tube and the poor design of the breathers .Speedway has some "new" design breathers, I have not looked at these so I have no comment on them.Our problem is more of the oil laying in the lip and dribbling down.I have never had an issue with the wool migrating downward, but I will check into the dish scrubbers, sounds like it might be an upgrade.I had looked at those years ago,but the one's I found contained plastic and I felt they might melt.

stockcar5
02-07-2012, 10:11 AM
steel wool would be the last thing i would put inside a motor. i run a machined aluminum cap with a built in o-ring on both tubes. one is solid amd the other has a 90 degree -8 an fitting with a hose going down to the frame and a filter. motor stays nice and clean.