PDA

View Full Version : painting carbon fiber drive shaft

17GZ
01-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Will it hurt a carbon fiber drive shaft to paint it? We have a white drive line rule.

Egoracing
01-29-2012, 07:58 AM
You can paint them but call the mfg or where you bought it. Depending on the epoxy used there may be paint types to stay away from.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-29-2012, 01:56 PM
There isn't really any reason why you should have to paint a CF shaft. The reason for the rule doesn't fit a CF shaft since it isn't going to be a danger on the track. I would maybe talk to the inspectors.

BTDT
01-30-2012, 01:25 AM
I guess i am the dumb ass cause i did not even think there will be nothing to see ! I painted mine with my el cheep o wal-mart enamel. It has a season on it with no ill effects (just inspected).

So that is the dumb ass answer!

TS3g
01-30-2012, 08:20 AM
You could wrap it with white vinyl

joedoozer
01-30-2012, 11:19 AM
I agree that it should be painted. It's still something that can go through a radiator. The manufacturer has to know that almost every track has that rule, that it must be painted. I can't imagine they make something that would react to paint.

Egoracing
01-30-2012, 11:24 AM
I agree that it should be painted. It's still something that can go through a radiator. The manufacturer has to know that almost every track has that rule, that it must be painted. I can't imagine they make something that would react to paint.

Not every track has the rule and you have to remember that CF shafts started in drag racing and there is no rule for them. Many of the original companies that made them had no parts for oval track racing but the drive shafts.

giffordracing
01-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Just got a New PST carbon 2 1/4 shaft and it came to me Painted white from PST

collateralDamage
01-30-2012, 09:46 PM
be sure to chock the shaft up in a lathe and turn it 12-18 rpm while you are painting it. uneven paint application can cause an imbalance and could damage your u-joints, differential, and/or transmission, etc.

Egoracing
01-31-2012, 06:37 AM
be sure to chock the shaft up in a lathe and turn it 12-18 rpm while you are painting it. uneven paint application can cause an imbalance and could damage your u-joints, differential, and/or transmission, etc.

I just misted ours with paint but you would have to put a ton of paint on to cause a ballance issue.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-31-2012, 07:26 AM
be sure to chock the shaft up in a lathe and turn it 12-18 rpm while you are painting it. Uneven paint application can cause an imbalance and could damage your u-joints, differential, and/or transmission, etc.

lmao!!!!!!!

joedoozer
01-31-2012, 07:41 AM
The only way I can see paint causing a balance issue is if you slopped on 1/2 gallon of house paint with a roller. Left the driveshaft in one position and the paint ran down and the drips dried on the under side. That is the first time I have ever heard of anyone putting a driveshaft in a lathe to paint it lol.

mqdirtracer57
01-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Bought my carbon fiber shaft from WaDon Racing and it came in painted white.

17GZ
02-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Checked with PST, where my shaft came from. They recommend high speed driveshaft white paint.LOL He said any enamel is fine, the resin is the same as fiber glass. Great people at PST.

joedoozer
02-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Checked with PST, where my shaft came from. They recommend high speed driveshaft white paint.LOL He said any enamel is fine, the resin is the same as fiber glass. Great people at PST.Sounds like you just stumbled onto a business opportunity. You could start selling the latest and greatest thing. Light weight high speed driveshaft paint. You could sell it in cans to small to paint one driveshaft so people have to buy more than one.

clm15
02-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Lead Paint is the only paint that will make for imbalance..............Lol

Just drill a hole in the center, and fill it with anti freeze, then silicone the hole shut. The shaft will run 30deg cooler! DAAA!

dualdj1
02-03-2012, 09:11 AM
I agree that it should be painted. It's still something that can go through a radiator.

Or Tires. In one of our big races last year, a driver blew one in the feature. They picked up what they could, but there were still at least 8-10 flat tires before the feature was over. When they explode, there's no way you're gonna get all the pieces picked up, and they're sharp. On asphalt, it's a different story. Not a big fan of them on dirt though, just for that reason.

Egoracing
02-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Or Tires. In one of our big races last year, a driver blew one in the feature. They picked up what they could, but there were still at least 8-10 flat tires before the feature was over. When they explode, there's no way you're gonna get all the pieces picked up, and they're sharp. On asphalt, it's a different story. Not a big fan of them on dirt though, just for that reason.

Risking a cut tire is still a far cry from risking the drives life running any other type of drive shaft. When the shaft busts it is furry and I have no seen them leave many "sharp" peices.