PDA

View Full Version : What size battery

Driver88
01-29-2012, 09:30 PM
What size battery is recommended for a hobby stock? 355 with no alternator. In the past I have used the biggest battery I could get. But I don't see a point in that or one of them expensive Optima bats either.

raceman17
01-30-2012, 06:41 AM
You get what you pay for. Dont waste your time buying a cheap battery. An optima battery can last for years and give you plenty of power to start your car. You can buy cheap this year and next year buy cheap again and the cycle goes on and on. save up your pennies and get a good battery. You wont be disapointed or left back at the trailer when your car wont start.

rsawyers9
01-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Been running on the same red top optima for 4 years now. We charge it on Saturday morning before we load the car and its never missed a lick. I feel that they hold a much better charge throughout the night than a regular battery.

bushracing67
01-30-2012, 03:36 PM
the cranking amps isn't that big of a deal as long as your starting and ignition systems are proper, the biggest thing to look at when not running an alternator is the reserve capacity or reserve time, and optima flat out kick ass, runnin a hobby which prolly comes with a no ballast rule you might also want to look into a big ass dump truck battery, the heavier the better and mount it up high in the back

3dinter
01-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Ill have to go with everyone else on this one, i run a red top Optima in my Truck for over 5 years now and not a lick of trouble. I only use it in the race car for a backup if need be. I run a red top in the racecar.