PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Tires

MidwestExpress
02-01-2012, 02:28 PM
I am curious as to what everyone uses to grind their tires? I currently use the tire grinding discs you can purchase from speedwaymotors. Any input is greatly appreicated!

Egoracing
02-01-2012, 03:03 PM
I am curious as to what everyone uses to grind their tires? I currently use the tire grinding discs you can purchase from speedwaymotors. Any input is greatly appreicated!

24 grit sanding pads and a vairiable speed buffer.

MidwestExpress
02-01-2012, 04:00 PM
I run USRA/USMTS Modifieds on American Racers and it seems like those discs work decent for the first couple nights then they ware out. Just looking for other options. I've seen people use belt sanders but I dont know what they all use.

oldtrackchamp4x
02-01-2012, 08:14 PM
I use high quality 16 grit discs at VERY low speed. Works for me. jmo

Dirtrunner35
02-01-2012, 08:33 PM
I use these. http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/servlet/the-28/7%22-Zirconia-Conical-%28Type/Detail

TeamGRT12x
02-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Variable speed buffer, on low with a sanding pad of about 24 grit. The big wheels are out now as far as I'm concerned. Being able to sipe the tires lets you be more precise with the grinding pad.

cavemod
02-02-2012, 05:45 AM
We've been using a wire wheel on a buffer for years.just hit them light enough to turn them dark again and use trigger to control wheel speed and keep the bristles on it instead of your face and legs.and a good pair of gogles or sheild is nice.With this method we get over a whole season out of a set off tires (IMCA Hoosiers)w/o hardly any drop off if times.

TeamGRT12x
02-02-2012, 11:03 AM
We used the wire wheel method about 10 years ago in Go Karts. I wouldn't advise it on the AR's or Hoosiers. A pair of rear tires lasts at the most 5 nights around here no matter how or if you even grind them. You must have some very non abrasive tracks.

TeamGRT12x
02-02-2012, 01:07 PM
We were using disks similar to Jeffs in 2005 and 2006. We got away from them due to saftey reasons, but that disk will do a decent job. We have just had more success with slow speeds, a heated siper and sandpaper. Good luck and be safe!

TeamGRT12x
02-02-2012, 06:09 PM
One slip, rotorized or not and you'll clip a finger or a stomach. I have seen it happen. Just saying, not the safest wheel Jeff, just like the gold wheels.

ThrowInDirt
02-03-2012, 05:04 AM
I used to buy them from speedway..But I went to Harbor Freight for something and found some disks that looked almost identical to the speedway ones...I bought 3 of them for like 15$..lol alot less then the 30-40$ ones from speedway

TeamGRT12x
02-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Yeah, most of the guys on the USMTS tour are dumb dumbs Jeff. A wheel spinning with screws stuck out of it isn't safe, you're smart enough to know that. I'm not going at argue, I just know that census is they are unsafe to many people and we choose a different approach, that seems to work pretty good.

TeamGRT12x
02-03-2012, 02:26 PM
A guy grinding tires for Tesch threw blood and skin all over the side of our trailer at the World Dirt Track Finals in Deer Creek. Other guys have had the wheel wrap up in there shirts. Not saying your wheel is any dangerous than the gold wheels, I'd rather have one of your wheels than those anyways. Just ask around how many guys have been clipped by these wheels and have needed stitches.

Egoracing
02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
A guy grinding tires for Tesch threw blood and skin all over the side of our trailer at the World Dirt Track Finals in Deer Creek. Other guys have had the wheel wrap up in there shirts. Not saying your wheel is any dangerous than the gold wheels, I'd rather have one of your wheels than those anyways. Just ask around how many guys have been clipped by these wheels and have needed stitches.

East Bay Raceway about 4 years ago during the Winternationals a guy was grinding a tire with one of the discs that have the sharpened points on them, it hit the tire and kicked back into him. Even with an apron on they transported him to the hospital and had to delay the racing because the ambulance had to leave. It was bad enough that the fire truck pulled over to wash the area down where it happened.

powerslide
02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
My disc wont wear out, after about 60 tires you may want to put new screws in. This sipes the tires it doesnt chunk them.

http://www.jnjfab.com/gallery/gallerylarge.asp?picid=373

if you want sipes put sipes in the tire. Grinding is to knock the glaze off.

powerslide
02-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah I should hire someone full time to sipe my tires, lol..

My disc sipes the tires and thats what I use it for... Ive never seen a glazed hoosier since IMCA started running them, lol.

I bet if you quit posting on 4m you would have time to sipe your tires and wouldnt need a full time tire man. But with all the money you spend on your stock car you should probably go ahead and get one it would free you up to pump out some more disc's w/ screws

Next time we race i will show you a glazed hoosier g-60 i really hope that was a joke lol

I could see using those types of disc's if you arent allowed to sipe but if rules allow it i see no reason for the gold disc's or your plastic disc w/ screws in it.

oldtrackchamp4x
02-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Gotta love it. LOL.

jsf74
02-10-2012, 04:43 AM
What's this thread about again?

oldtrackchamp4x
02-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Umh, I thought the thread was about grinding tires.

powerslide
02-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Umh, I thought the thread was about grinding tires.

it is. He ruins every thread he touches trying to sell his plastic disc's w/ screws and his used parts

TeamGRT12x
02-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Thats what I thought too, but figured I'd let you clear that up.

powerslide
02-13-2012, 01:04 PM
lol, not sure how plastic of any type would work but whatever, he obviously has a personal issue with me.

I probably beat all his buddys with my 3 time rolled over tractor painted car! Of course only because I spend sooo much $$.

If I was in your area and in your class I would claim you if you out ran me after your talk of 3K for a set of rods in a claimer class. But you’re not and I don’t. My beef with you is you run your mouth every chance you get, try to sell stuff in the tech section(thats what the classifieds are for)and think you are god’s gift to racing get over yourself.

This is my last post on the topic sorry for ruining the OP's thread but I would hate to see him buy one of those meat grinders when the market has much better options. I agree your disc may help if you are not allowed to sipe tires but if you can sipe I see no need for something like that(and we are in the mod forum so I am assuming he can). Even then it’s still a major hazard. Having a degree in the safety industry just makes me cringe when I see those things being used at the track and not a ONE have guards. Sport is dangerous enough without spinning a metal disc 5-6k without a guard and touching it to a piece of rubber.