PDA

View Full Version : Bert with a stock bellhousing

B14Racing
02-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Im using a bert with stock Gm bellhousing. How can i make this work? Does anyone have any experience with it?

Egoracing
02-03-2012, 07:36 PM
I know someone that ran a Brinn with a stock BH. You need to support the rear of the trans. The aftermarket housings are made to support the weight of the trans without support but the stock unit will crack. He went thru 3 before adding the support then went 4 years on the same bellhousing.

umpmod15
02-03-2012, 09:50 PM
I ran a BERT with a stock bell housing for years and never had a problem. Not to be argumentative but we have never ran a support and never had a problem.

wkndwarrior71
02-03-2012, 11:08 PM
I've always used a stock bell housing with a Bert. But again i reckon it depends alot on how hard you run and how much motor ya got....

Egoracing
02-04-2012, 07:09 AM
I've always used a stock bell housing with a Bert. But again i reckon it depends alot on how hard you run and how much motor ya got....

And the tracks you run on, some of them get a little rough! Bert used to sell a rear mount for the trans just for using a stock bell housing. The stock bellhousing was not designed to completley hold up the trans and were made to use the rear mount to help. The Aftermarket housings for these transmissions are made MUCH stiffer and are made to hold the trans. Just look at the bells for the Brinn, Bert or Falcon and compair them to a stock unit.

R. Mullins
02-04-2012, 11:03 AM
So do you just bolt you flexplate and Bert coupler to the back of the crank add the bellhousing then install the Bert trany?

dirttrackrocker
02-04-2012, 11:07 AM
So do you just bolt you flexplate and Bert coupler to the back of the crank add the bellhousing then install the Bert trany?

Yep..........

racin6mod
02-04-2012, 12:11 PM
I see alot of the bert bellhousing come in to my shop for repairs. they crack quit often mostly from chassis flex and rough tracks. if your going to run a stock gm bellhousing go ahead and run the rear mount just as insurance if for no other reason. those bellhousings are very thin around the webs. you may also have a ground clearance issue and you'll also want to use the bolt on dust cover to keep from scooping up rocks and dirt in to the bellhousing.

B14Racing
02-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the info!!!

B14Racing
02-04-2012, 04:00 PM
do you bolt on the flex plate then the bert coupler?

Yep..........

Egoracing
02-04-2012, 04:38 PM
do you bolt on the flex plate then the bert coupler?

The bolts go thru the coupler thru the flywheel and into the crankshaft.

B14Racing
02-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Thats what i thought just making sure

js11
02-04-2012, 08:43 PM
I have run the stock GM BH with a Bert with absolutely no problems...five or more years. The only caveat I would offer is to make sure the threads are good in BH and and that your bolts are sufficiently long. Otherwise, they're stronger than one would think and much cheaper than the aftermarket stuff. If you do break one, go get another for $20 bucks at a local salvage yard.

Good luck.

shockmod3x
02-04-2012, 10:42 PM
running stock BH with falcon no other support for years without issue.

JAMESGANGRACING
02-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I have run one with no problems for quite a while before. Last year a bert tranny and HALF a stock bellhousing came out of a car and went through the windshield opening of another car and hit the driver in the shoulder and landed inside with him.

dsm_speeder
02-11-2012, 09:29 PM
I have run one with no problems for quite a while before. Last year a bert tranny and HALF a stock bellhousing came out of a car and went through the windshield opening of another car and hit the driver in the shoulder and landed inside with him.

Haha thats one way to get a new tranny, possesion is 9/10 of the law. J/K