PDA

View Full Version : 9" Gear break in procudure.

AH55
02-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I have a brand new full spool 9" gear setup this year. I remember hearing a while back about a break in procedure on a new gear, but can't remember for the life of me what it was. I was wondering what everyone has used to break in their gears succesfully. Thanks in advance for your help.
Armond

johnny v
02-05-2012, 07:16 AM
fill it up with good gear oil and go race.... if it was set up correctly..... you should have no problems.... the key is in the set up.....

chevy370lsx
02-05-2012, 10:33 AM
fill it up with good gear oil and go race.... if it was set up correctly..... you should have no problems.... the key is in the set up.....

+1

Gears in my car are 7 years old and break in procedure was hot laps.
Gotta buddy every time I set up gears in his truck, hes takes out to the street and makes a pass spraying a 300 shot of nitrous.

AH55
02-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Sounds good... Thanks for the help.

racin6mod
02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
basicaly you need to run a heat cycle so the gears will heat up and cool down this is mainly for street gears. as post above in dirt track racing you have hot laps and heat races both would be a heat cycle for the new gear set. the better gears have already had this done at the mfg and a pinion depth etched on the top of the pinion gear. this is an area of the car where you need to buy the best oil/lube you can afford I use lucas or royal purle synthetic.

AH55
02-08-2012, 10:31 AM
I've always run the parts store gear oil and this year during winter tear down, realized the R&P were junk. lesson learned, thanks for the heads up guys.
Armond