PDA

View Full Version : Rear Mount Power Steering

JacksonRacing
02-08-2012, 06:27 PM
If I have a front mount power steering setup that works fine, is there any reason to spend more money and switch to the KSE or Sweet pump and drive it off the dry sump pump?

Graff Spee
02-08-2012, 07:34 PM
helps move weight to the center of the car but the most important part is it looks cool!!!

Racer111
02-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Free's up room in the front but i liked it for the reason if you break a belt PS goes might make you relize sooner no oil pressure..

sj valley dave
02-09-2012, 01:24 PM
That's what we like about it also! It does free up the area in front of the engine, and move weight back where you want it, but it is a cool insurance deal...Told our driver, if he ever loses power steering, kill the engine immediately...chances are he threw/broke the dry sump belt...

talclipse
02-09-2012, 02:14 PM
A few years back I had some issues where I kicked 3/4 dry sump belts (I lived on rolaids for weeks because of this). Each time I pulled the motor and checked the bearings and everything checked out okay. When I had that motor freshened the engine builder didn't believe me that I'd had any issues because the bearings looked as good as new. There were two things that kept me from destroying my motor every time that happened: 1) reverse mount power steering pump. 2) good quality motor oil.

Definitely recommend the rear mount setups because of this!

JacksonRacing
02-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Haven't lost a belt yet. What happens?

Does the red warning light come on right away or is there a little delay and you feel the power steering loss first?

late96
02-09-2012, 08:10 PM
You will no p/s steering gone instantly

Racer111
02-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Light should come on fairly quick.But at 8k or more every second counts plus if its early before dark its hard to catch light coming on..