PDA

View Full Version : rivets vs bolts

sidewinder#9
02-09-2012, 05:39 AM
i see some people are using bolts instead of rivets are they using blind nuts or j clips was just wondering i think it would be handy to be able to bolt and un bolt INPUT thanks

talclipse
02-09-2012, 07:18 AM
A lot of guys use bolts on the right side of the car to make it easier for removal of that side for cleaning purposes. For most things you can get by with using a flange nut on the back side of your body bolts; however, with the doors it can be tough to get enough bolts in the door and have the ability to get the flange nut started. We typically run nutzerts along the top of the passenger's side door for this reason. I also know the barry wright cars use czus fasteners in that same location for the same reason.

The only down side to either of these methods is that they can be a major PITA to get off when you wad up a door.

For us its worth it to be able to take the cordless impact and have the side and quarter off the car in 10 minutes for washing vs/ having to drill everything and the expensive of replacing those rivets every week.

Just my $0.02.

sidewinder#9
02-09-2012, 08:36 AM
thanks i just didnt know if the nuserts would work but now i do thanks again

fullroller2007
02-09-2012, 09:07 AM
I have been using these threaded "jack-nuts" from mcmaster carr, they are kind of like an exploding rivit with a 1/4-20 thread in the head of it. They are pretty cheap, require no special tools, and hold up pretty well.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#jack-nuts/=g69ubz

sidewinder#9
02-09-2012, 10:29 AM
wow thansk for the input what little that sticks above the metal hurt anything or is it less than what it looks

hpmaster
02-09-2012, 10:47 AM
I use pop nuts. They work ok till you have the rippin and tearin event then they can be harder to undo.

andy16
02-09-2012, 07:08 PM
i have used the rivets, zus buttons popnut/nutsert and jacknut. none of them are perfect. the best imo was the cheap 1/4-20 jacknut that spread when you tighten them for first time like a exploding rivet. then go behind it and put silicone around the exploding part to keep it from spinning when threads get a snag. the nutserts vibrate loose and spin. work great for three races then become a pain. zus prob my second fav. they all need maintence tho. i thought about taking some 1'' aluminum body brace and run it down parallel to the door under the decking so when you drill thru this to use a nutsert the nutsert had a thicker base to clamp to. i think thats why they vibrate loose so easy is the sheetmetal aint thick enough??? anybody try any of that yet?